• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Indecency, Yes or No

Audie

Veteran Member
And the show is of course edited at any rate. The offense that he was arrested for may not have been what was portrayed on the show. But I agree with you, and my very limited research seems to agree to, that merely asking for oral sex would not be "public indecency". Please excuse me for not testing this hypothesis personally:rolleyes:

I would not care if he were charged with labour
racketeering, or being an atomic spy. Broken
tail light.

Just getting the cuffs and the walk of shame
ought to calm him down. Dismiss the charges.

Subject him to a psych eval, tho. The guy
is clearly not right. Not saying he is a serial
killer or rapist, but those guys start small.
and an experience that makes him hate
women more could be a serious thing

Definitely a psych eval.

Milton Platt

One night I was watching an episode of Cops wherein a guy was at a public beach and approached a woman and asked her for oral sex. She said no and then called the police. After she explained what had happened they arrested the guy for public indecency.

Question: does asking this really amount to public indecency?

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

And here's the real kicker; he was with his wife---evidently she wasn't nearby when he made the proposition---and when the police explained why they were arresting her husband she was utterly unfazed. No reaction whatsoever. :shrug:

I don't think so. It was rude, callous, inconsiderate, and a host of other things, including stupid. But I don't think it falls under the public indecency umbrella. If he was nude when he approached her, okay.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't think so. It was rude, callous, inconsiderate, and a host of other things, including stupid. But I don't think it falls under the public indecency umbrella. If he was nude when he approached her, okay.

As I said, who cares if it does or not? Its not worth
a trial and all that. Just let him know he gets worse
than he gives, and drop the charges.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As I said, who cares if it does or not? Its not worth
a trial and all that. Just let him know he gets worse
than he gives, and drop the charges.
That often happens at any rate. The arrest gets one off the streets right now. Just because one is not convicted does not mean that one "beat the rap". Often all they want to do is to make someone realize that they need some help. If it is a first time event for many crimes, and the punishment would be almost nil for it charges are very often dropped. Though they usually try to make it clear why they are getting a free pass this time around. Some people do not learn from such kindness.

A Vestigial Mote

Was the question an indecent thing to ask a complete stranger?

What if the question was "Will you help me murder my wife?"

There is obviously quite a range of questions that can be asked of various levels of "decency." Asking a stranger for oral sex is very likely more on the indecent side.

sealchan

One night I was watching an episode of Cops wherein a guy was at a public beach and approached a woman and asked her for oral sex. She said no and then called the police. After she explained what had happened they arrested the guy for public indecency.

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

And here's the real kicker; he was with his wife---evidently she wasn't nearby when he made the proposition---and when the police explained why they were arresting her husband she was utterly unfazed. No reaction whatsoever. :shrug:

from Public Indecency Overview :: Justia

“Public indecency” generally refers to acts involving nudity or sexual activity in view of the public, often with the intent to shock, offend, or arouse. It includes criminal offenses like indecent exposure and lewd conduct. Some states use the term “public indecency” to refer to other offenses relating to public nudity, including the display or promotion of obscene materials. The U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the right of states to outlaw public nudity, holding that the state has an interest in “protecting societal order and morality,” and that public nudity is not “free expression” protected by the First Amendment. Barnes v. Glen Theatre, 501 U.S. 560, 568 (1991). Sexual activity in public is illegal throughout the U.S., but states and localities differ on what constitutes illegal public nudity, both in terms of what body parts are considered “indecent” and whether that state must prove that a defendant had a particular intent.

Lewd conduct is in there so yes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Gotta agree with you here. Anybody stupid enough to ask a stranger for oral sex might be unbalanced enough to resort to sexual assault. However, I don't see it as an arrestable offense.

No me either.

I thought there would be an appearance ticket issued with fine. It sounds like it would be a misdemeanor offense.

Skwim

Veteran Member
from Public Indecency Overview :: Justia

Lewd conduct is in there so yes.
You probably missed it in post 30 where I said

And I'm not really looking for any legal opinion or definition. If that was the case I could have simply looked them up (well, maybe not so simply). What' I'm looking for is if one feels it's indecent to ask a stranger for oral sex in a public setting.
So I'm not at all interested in legal opinions or definitions.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

You probably missed it in post 30 where I said
And I'm not really looking for any legal opinion or definition. If that was the case I could have simply looked them up (well, maybe not so simply). What' I'm looking for is if one feels it's indecent to ask a stranger for oral sex in a public setting.
So I'm not at all interested in legal opinions or definitions.

How do you feel i didn't answer the question? I said "Asking a stranger for oral sex is probably more on the indecent side." The "probably was me being facetious. Here... I'll just strip away all the fluff:

Asking a stranger for oral sex is indecent. Personal opinion. Done.

Skwim

Veteran Member
How do you feel i didn't answer the question? I said "Asking a stranger for oral sex is probably more on the indecent side." The "probably was me being facetious. Here... I'll just strip away all the fluff:

Asking a stranger for oral sex is indecent. Personal opinion. Done.
I'm sorry, but I mistakenly included your reply in with that of sealchan's. It has since been removed.

As for your post

Was the question an indecent thing to ask a complete stranger?

What if the question was "Will you help me murder my wife?"
I believe there's a significant difference in asking someone to preform a legal sexual act, and asking them to participate in a felony.

There is obviously quite a range of questions that can be asked of various levels of "decency." Asking a stranger for oral sex is very likely more on the indecent side.
Because a lot of people enjoy both giving and receiving oral sex, I don't consider such a question to be indecent as much as I consider it a bit rude, and in bad taste.

David T

Premium Member

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

Just as a note of clarification:

I'm noty looking for any legal opinion or definition. If that was the case I could have simply looked them up (well, maybe not so simply). What' I'm looking for is if one feels it's indecent to ask a stranger for oral sex in a public setting.

NO!!
0c484241f254cb368f2a839f1e9f849a.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yet people ask for money all the time and aren't arrested.

I can't recall offhand, although I seem to remember reading about cases in the past where some jurisdictions tried to outlaw panhandling, but it got struck down by the courts. Aggressive panhandling is still a crime, though.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Can I ask you guys : "what if a random woman asks a random man to play his..." on a public beach?

Is that public indecency? Will she be arrested for it?

Last edited:

Jumi

Don't know where you live, but in the USA the law has to have just cause to lock someone up over night. What would be the just cause in this instance?
Here you can lock people up for the night if they're being a public disruption and not willing to leave with a warning. Logan Paul couldn't exist here.

Jumi

Can I ask you guys : "what if a random woman asks a random man to play his..." on a public beach?
If a random woman told a guy to do the same thing the guy asked here, I'd see it as the same. Though some people think men have no standards. It's disgusting if the situation is unwanted, no matter how good the guy/gal looks like to someone.