• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Indecency, Yes or No

Skwim

Veteran Member
One night I was watching an episode of Cops wherein a guy was at a public beach and approached a woman and asked her for oral sex. She said no and then called the police. After she explained what had happened they arrested the guy for public indecency.

Question: does asking this really amount to public indecency?

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

And here's the real kicker; he was with his wife---evidently she wasn't nearby when he made the proposition---and when the police explained why they were arresting her husband she was utterly unfazed. No reaction whatsoever. :shrug:

Just as a note of clarification:

I'm noty looking for any legal opinion or definition. If that was the case I could have simply looked them up (well, maybe not so simply). What' I'm looking for is if one feels it's indecent to ask a stranger for oral sex in a public setting.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well it's not something a normal person would be expected to say at random.

If I was that woman I probably would have called the police too. I think she did the right thing considering this guy was a total stranger she knew nothing about. I'm figuring her heart skipped a few beats in face of that type of boldness.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
One night I was watching an episode of Cops wherein a guy was at a public beach and approached a woman and asked her for oral sex. She said no and then called the police. After she explained what had happened they arrested the guy for public indecency.

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

And here's the real kicker; he was with his wife---evidently she wasn't nearby when he made the proposition---and when the police explained why they were arresting her husband she was utterly unfazed. No reaction whatsoever. :shrug:

Well, was he polite?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No actual harm was done. Apparently "indecency" is interpreted pretty broadly. Nevertheless, his behavior was annoying and could be interpreted as threatening. I think, though, that an actual arrest, unless such behavior was habitual, might be overkill -- courts, lawyers, time, expenses, he said-she said, &c.

I'd lean toward banning him from the beach &/or informing his wife of his indiscretions.

Jumi

Yes, it's public indecency. Don't just go up to people and ask them for a sexual act.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well it's not something a normal person would be expected to say at random.

If I was that woman I probably would have called the police too. I think she did the right thing considering this guy was a total stranger she knew nothing about. I'm figuring her heart skipped a few beats in face of that type of boldness.
Gotta agree with you here. Anybody stupid enough to ask a stranger for oral sex might be unbalanced enough to resort to sexual assault. However, I don't see it as an arrestable offense.

Holdasown

I would say it is but if the guy asked then walked away and was not threatening seems the police are an overreaction. Better to humiliate him by being loud about him being a pervert or something. Unless he seemed to be harassing every person on the beach.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

It would depend entirely on the laws of that state as to what constitutes public indecency. In the state in which I live it would be public Lewdness

Public lewdness.
A person is guilty of public lewdness when he intentionally exposes
the private or intimate parts of his body in a lewd manner or commits
any other lewd act (a) in a public place, or (b) in private premises
under circumstances in which he may readily be observed from either a
public place or from other private premises, and with intent that he be
so observed.

Public lewdness is a class B misdemeanor.

Holdasown

Gotta agree with you here. Anybody stupid enough to ask a stranger for oral sex might be unbalanced enough to resort to sexual assault. However, I don't see it as an arrestable offense..

If it happened in a bar would you think differently? I mean stuff like that gets said a good bit in bars.

Jumi

Yet people ask for money all the time and aren't arrested.
Not sure if money is the same as sex. Probably not.

Where I live asking for money became rare in the 90s, because almost everyone's carrying plastic. Asking for someone's phone also sounds 00s... I'd probably get a culture shock where you live. :)

Jumi

True that hardly anyone does, but how does it qualify as a crime or offense of public indecency?
Let them off with a warning first. If they don't stop, let them take a small break in holding cell for the rest of the night.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It would depend entirely on the laws of that state as to what constitutes public indecency. In the state in which I live it would be public Lewdness

Public lewdness.
so observed.

How does asking a simple question fit this description?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Public lewdness.
so observed.
Interesting choice of pronoun gender... ;)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
How does asking a simple question fit this description?

Your question was

" does asking this really amount to public indecency?"

If you want an answer based on the legality of it, it depends entirely on the laws of the state. If you are asking this from the perspective of morality it falls to personal opinion.

Which one are you after?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Let them off with a warning first. If they don't stop, let them take a small break in holding cell for the rest of the night.
Don't know where you live, but in the USA the law has to have just cause to lock someone up over night. What would be the just cause in this instance?

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
No actual harm was done. Apparently "indecency" is interpreted pretty broadly. Nevertheless, his behavior was annoying and could be interpreted as threatening. I think, though, that an actual arrest, unless such behavior was habitual, might be overkill -- courts, lawyers, time, expenses, he said-she said, &c.

I'd lean toward banning him from the beach &/or informing his wife of his indiscretions.

Call it by any label one chooses, except
maybe polite and respectful.

Maybe a night with some friendly cellmates
will teach him that actions have consequences.

For someone such as myself who is, what,
"pre-stressed' by ugly encounter(s) with men,
the shot of stress hormones we get from that
sort of verbal assault is very real, and should
not be simply permitted.