• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public hysteria

Vee

Premium Member
Two cases of Corona virus have been identified here in France, and people are going nuts. Yes, we have to be careful, but I've heard people worried about getting the virus from packages they ordered online, that will be traveling from China by ship or airplane.
I wish people would just take a few minutes to do some research instead of panicking and spreading fear to others. :rolleyes:

Darkforbid

Two cases of Corona virus have been identified here in France, and people are going nuts. Yes, we have to be careful, but I've heard people worried about getting the virus from packages they ordered online, that will be traveling from China by ship or airplane.
I wish people would just take a few minutes to do some research instead of panicking and spreading fear to others. :rolleyes:

Yep, it's hit the local news here:

Oxford awaits further instruction following virus outbreak

leov

It is a weaponized virus introduced as diversion., imo.

Vee

Premium Member
What are the Chinese doing? Every virus seems to start from China!

Apparently it's related to the strange animals they eat, like bats, and snakes, etc. I don't go to Asia much, but when I do, I'm vegetarian!

Dave Watchman

What are the Chinese doing? Every virus seems to start from China!

Judgement time - Are you ready?

We estimate the basic reproductive number of the infection (RR0) to be 3.8 (95% confidence interval, 3.6 and 4.0), indicating that 72-75% of transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop increasing.

We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8–5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified, and by 21 January a total of 11,341 people (prediction interval, 9,217–14,245) had been infected in Wuhan since the start of the year. Should the epidemic continue unabated in Wuhan, we predict the epidemic in Wuhan will be substantially larger by 4 February (191,529 new infections that day, prediction interval, 132,751–273,649; total number currently infected 250,370, prediction interval 164,602–351,396), infection will be established in other Chinese cities, and importations to other countries will be more frequent.

Our model suggests that travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on 4 February.

Read et al. nCoV-2019 early epidemic predictions.pdf

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There are too many people on earth, some say. Maybe this is the way they reduce it
For the past few years, we get a new virus (like clockwork, starting in the winter)
(Understandable if man-created; in winter people don't expect foul play)

It would be an efficient way. The weak ones die, and the strong ones survive

PureX

Veteran Member
Being made aware of our inability to control everything (and thereby protect ourselves) does often cause people to fly "off the handle". I think it's because, when it happens, they get a glimpse of just how little they actually can or do control in life, and they aren't used to thinking about that. In fact, they go to a lot of effort to make sure they don't have to think about it if they can avoid it. Which is why the freak out when they're forced to recognize it.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Indications so far seem to be that the mortality rate from this new virus is no worse than from common 'flu'.

What medical opinion seems to be concerned about, at least according to what I have read so far, is the possibility that it might mutate into a more virulent form, or one that is more infectious.

Sars was a nine day wonder. Let's hope this is, too.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me it's important to be aware of it but not get into a panic. It's spreading very fast, to be sure, but without a Black Death-like death toll.

So to me the sensible thing is to do the usual cold/flu prevention like washing hands for 20 seconds frequently and so forth.

And it's reasonable to have both N95 respirator masks and ordinary "surgical" masks just in case it spreads to where you live.

Dave Watchman

Yes, we have to be careful, but I've heard people worried about getting the virus from packages they ordered online, that will be traveling from China by ship or airplane.

What you could do for an experiment, in a couple weeks, try an order from Alibaba or Alixpress see if it goes through?

The guy in Washington State was put into isolation and treated largely by a robot.

I don't know if they are panicking.

That was on Monday.

It does sound a bit spooky.

A man diagnosed with Wuhan coronavirus near Seattle is being treated largely by a robot

The robot, equipped with a stethoscope, is helping doctors take the man’s vitals and communicate with him through a large screen,

He arrived at the hospital in a special isolated gurney called an ISOPOD and has been treated in a two-bed isolated area away from busy sections of the hospital, the doctor said.

“The nursing staff in the room move the robot around so we can see the patient in the screen, talk to him,” Diaz said, adding the use of the robot minimizes exposure of medical staff to the infected man.

A man diagnosed with Wuhan coronavirus near Seattle is being treated largely by a robot

They must be pretty spooked by something.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So far this disease appears no more lethal than influenza, and a lot more contained.
You're more likely to be killed in a car crash on the way to the store to buy face masks than you are by this virus.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So far this disease appears no more lethal than influenza, and a lot more contained.
You're more likely to be killed in a car crash on the way to the store to buy face masks than you are by this virus.

Reminds me of the bird flu craziness years ago. Seems like history repeats itself right on cue.

Dave Watchman

I'm not really worried about it for myself.

I'm sorry for the people being troubled by it.

But I've been keeping my eye on it.

I wish they wouldn't eat bat soup, live baby mice and bobcats.

Last week and this week.

There's been some spooky specifications with this one.

Watching what the Chinese do, not what they say.

The expert virologist goes in all confident to check it out. He said as long as you wear the right protection, you'll be fine.

And then he catches it.

He thinks it got in through his eyes.

He should have wore goggles.

And Doctor Ding has some spooky tweets.

But sorry, with a name like that, I had to check him out.

He's actually an advisor to the WHO:

So reading his Tweets take on a new meaning:

Some folks think I’m trying to incite fear. I’m not trying—I’m a scientist. This #coronavirus #WuhanCoronovirus is serious. Over 50 million people are quarantined + case counts will go up much more. Predict @WHO will declare emergency. Let’s hope for the best, prepared for worst.

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding on Twitter

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding‏ @DrEricDing Jan 23
I’ll be honest - as an epidemiologist, I’m really deeply worried about this new coronavirus outbreak. 1) the virus has an upward infection trajectory curve much steeper than SARS. 2) it can be transmitted person to person before symptoms appear — I.e. it is silently contagious!

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding‏ @DrEricDing
12/ What is the typical R0 attack rate for the seasonal flu in most years? It’s around an R0=1.28. The 2009 flu pandemic? R0=1.48. The 1918 Spanish Flu? 1.80. This new #WuhanCoronavirus reproductive value again? R0=3.8. (Flu reference: https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2334-14-480 …)

Zerohedge on the R0 attack rate.

Model Shows Coronavirus Could Strike 250,000 in 10 Days

(At 6.5 minutes the guy starts selling water filters and I have to shut it off)

Peaceful Sabbath.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Yes. Its a fine line between being prepared and being alarmed. Bible believers expect these pestilences at this point in time.....the Spanish Flu killed more humans than the First World War did. We have had many epidemics since then and we can learn from them.

When you see flimsy face masks used to protect the wearer (and many are still not even wearing these) you have to wonder if there is a right one for this virus.....and thermometers being used to detect an elevation in temperature, when this virus can be spread before symptoms present (2-5 days)....I think its time to be prepared....and careful in the early stages, rather than to wait for it to reach epidemic proportions before we take precautions. Do we know how its spread? Very easily by all accounts. So we should take reasonable steps to protect ourselves.....especially those with auto-immune diseases and respiratory problems.

It will be interesting to see how far this epidemic will go. Its already spread outside of China.