• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Education vs Private Education

Jeremy Mason

Public education is in dire straits and would like to hear ideas on how we can fix the current problem.

Proponents of public education state that private schools get to pick and choose their students which is an unfair comparison. They also point out that special education in private school is still funded by the public.

Here are some links that provide information on both sides of the debate. If you know of others, please share those links as well.

Public education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to the Center for Public Education! - Center for Public Education
Public vs. Private Education
Private Education is Good for the Poor: A Study of Private Schools Serving the Poor in Low-Income Countries

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Private instutions should be able to lawfully do whatever the hell they want. Period.

If private institution is getting a specific grant or portion of its budget funded by public monies, then they either play by same rules as public or stop receiving the public charity.

This is kind of like the boy scouts. They're supposedly "private" but much of their activities are publically funded - yet they are allowed to discriminate against homosexuals, the athiests, and others.

Jeremy Mason

Private instutions should be able to lawfully do whatever the hell they want. Period.

If private institution is getting a specific grant or portion of its budget funded by public monies, then they either play by same rules as public or stop receiving the public charity.

This is kind of like the boy scouts. They're supposedly "private" but much of their activities are publically funded - yet they are allowed to discriminate against homosexuals, the athiests, and others.

Point well taken. What are your views on vouchers, example, people would be given X amount of dollars to everyone to attend any school they wish.

rojse

RF Addict

I disagree - private institutions need to abide by minimum government standards in regards to education, because all children deserve to be educated to a certain standard.

blackout

Violet.
I sure wish someone would give me some of my tax money back for educating my own children...
our OWN way.
(or at least let us use some of their resources. But it seems to be a whole package deal.
all or none.)

We're saving them QUITE a bit of money.
(How much does it cost the public schools to educate per child per year?)

The world never helps you out when you don't want to conform to the "rule"s of the systems set in place.
Oh well.

Last edited:

Dreamwolf

Blissful Insomniac
Public education is in dire straits and would like to hear ideas on how we can fix the current problem.

Hmm... kind of like the IRS, change is probably going to be to little to late. We could start with giving teachers back their authority. To many schools have the 'slap on the wrist' punishment system. Then maybe actually pay the teachers, that might help.
Part of the problem with the education system is the children it is trying to educate, they are disrespectful, rude and some don't give a flip about actually showing up to class. I was one of those kids that didn't show up, they actually counted me present instead of absent. I don't think they are being challenged enough, I didn't show up more than two days a week to my classes and didn't get anything under a B.

Proponents of public education state that private schools get to pick and choose their students which is an unfair comparison. They also point out that special education in private school is still funded by the public.

You think it is unfair because they pick the students who work the hardest, have the best grades, or excel in some other way? Isn't that a textbook example of meritocracy? So, would you have them accept anyone who applied and throw that kid in over their academic head? Private schools (for the most part) are much harder academically to survive in, the fact that they take the best students directly correlates to their program being the most difficult.
Wouldn't it be a better idea if the private institutions could get money from the government to fund scholarships so that more of the best students could have the best education possible?

Point well taken. What are your views on vouchers, example, people would be given X amount of dollars to everyone to attend any school they wish.
Vouchers are a wonderful concept. I think the original intention was so that people could chose for their children to go to the best school academically even if said school was not the closest to their home. (I might have that confused though.)
The problem with them though is that some parents (not many) are using them to send their children to 'white school' or a 'black school'. I have heard people openly discussing this in the town I live in. Ironically at a high school football game, there were a group of parents (both black and white) who absolutely loved the idea of having the option to send their kids to different schools. I believe the one they had chosen to be the "black school" is in a neighboring town and the high school I went to has been picked out as the "white school". Yeah race is still an issue, welcome to my world.

robtex

Veteran Member
Jeremy can you help us out by qualify how/why you think education is in dire straights? Give us a few bullet points to examine ?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger

Here are some links that provide information on both sides of the debate. If you know of others, please share those links as well.

Public education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to the Center for Public Education! - Center for Public Education
Public vs. Private Education
Private Education is Good for the Poor: A Study of Private Schools Serving the Poor in Low-Income Countries

Allow American tax payers to take that portion of their taxes which goes to education and let them choose where to send their kids to school. There are other sectors where this type of system has been used and it works great because it creates competition and higher standards.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I sure wish someone would give me some of my tax money back for educating my own children...
our OWN way.
(or at least let us use some of their resources. But it seems to be a whole package deal.
all or none.)

We're saving them QUITE a bit of money.
(How much does it cost the public schools to educate per child per year?)

The world never helps you out when you don't want to conform to the "rule"s of the systems set in place.
Oh well.

Psst......much of what you spend on educational material for homeschooling is considered tax deductible. It all varies from state to state, though, so I'd check with your state laws first to see what is expected FROM home educators as well as what is expected to be given TO home educators.

:)

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again

Right. Because that will do so much good to get rid of minimum standards .

Children aren't property. Their education should not be a commodity on the market.

Public education numbers are atrocious because public schools have to take care of all types of children. In my state, for example, our school's scores went down because they lifted the standards to include mentally challenged individuals. When you compare similar demographics, public school students actually do better at subjects like math and reading. Most private schools are very selective about the process: troublemakers are culled out, special needs aren't accounted for, private schools sometimes have a "bag lunch" policy, and there aren't near as many clubs/organizations. I think I speak for millions of families when I say there isn't time for homeschooling. The market has adapted to a bi-gender labor market. When the medium income is about ~$30,000 - and necessities have increased over 100% since the '80s, feeding three people on a few thousand dollars a year with some spending on the side doesn't amount to the American dream.

Another thing with the numbers that bugs the hell out of me is drawing on the price for public schools. In my experience a lot of the price comes from athletics, especially in urban schools, but not just. I was watching our own school's expenses and football alone consumed 15%. (I should also mention in most districts if you're a homeschooler or private schooler, you can still join public school organizations)

Public schools are still the great equalizer, but there are people in this country who work to dismantle even that benefit. School boards, in my mind, are the biggest culprits of waste.

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

Jeremy can you help us out by qualify how/why you think education is in dire straights? Give us a few bullet points to examine ?

OK... I'll use some of the points people have brought up now so far.

*Racial integration is and isn't being addressed in certain areas in America.
*Special education is still being funded at private school by the public.
*After school project expenditures are disproportionate between athletics and other after school activities.
*Absentee policies are not being enforced in certain public schools.
*Cost per child is higher at private schools. If the voucher system were enacted, the poor students would not have as many opportunities as they do now, ie after school activities and/or extra scholastic activities.
*Minimum standards are not giving public school students a competitive edge worldwide.
*School boards are ineffective and costly bureaucracies.
*Breakfast and lunch programs are not administered in some private schools.

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

Another thing with the numbers that bugs the hell out of me is drawing on the price for public schools. In my experience a lot of the price comes from athletics, especially in urban schools, but not just. I was watching our own school's expenses and football alone consumed 15%.

I agree, As a music educator, the amount of money the arts and other extra curricular activities is disproportionate. However, football proponents will say that they generate a great deal of money to ofset these costs.

Public schools are still the great equalizer, but there are people in this country who work to dismantle even that benefit. School boards, in my mind, are the biggest culprits of waste.

So true.