• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pub etiquette paying for drinks

JIMMY12345

Its before and after the Xmas lunch.You go with X,Y,Z your best mates and lead the pack to the bar.They r mates so you pay confident they will pick up the tab next time.

What do you do if your suddenly joined by A.B C their mates who u barely know? Especially if you only drink orange juice.Its awkward.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's Christmas so good will and all that.

Chances are A, B and C will stand their round anyway

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First world neurotypical problems, eh.

Pay for your own....no one else's.
In my experience, it pisses off one's friends.
But they get over it.
But I leave without having been snookered.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
First world neurotypical problems, eh.

Pay for your own....no one else's.
In my experience, it pisses off one's friends.
But they get over it.
But I leave without having been snookered.

Spoken like a true Scotsman

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Spoken like a true Scotsman
An old joke I just re-purposed....

Rev: Uncle Angus, can I have $10?
Angus: Why do you need $9?
Rev: To buy haggis.
Angus: It costs $8 now?
Rev: Inflation, ya know.
Angus: Ach! I never thought it would rise to $7 !!!
Rev: Well it has.
Angus: Let me see if I have that $6....
Angus: Ach! I've only $5.
Angus: Here is your $4.
Rev: But it's only $3.
Angus: <takes a dollar back>
Rev: Now it's only $2 !!!
Angus: <takes another dollar back>
Rev: Now I've only $1 !!!
Angus: Hey, that's mine! <takes it back>

Altfish

Veteran Member
Its before and after the Xmas lunch.You go with X,Y,Z your best mates and lead the pack to the bar.They r mates so you pay confident they will pick up the tab next time.

What do you do if your suddenly joined by A.B C their mates who u barely know? Especially if you only drink orange juice.Its awkward.
Tell them to start their own round, so that it doesn't get too unwieldy.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is this custom universal or does it vary significantly from country to country?
Personally I've always hated the bar scene here in the U.S. Very loud and obnoxious, a lot of posturing, etc. Braincells would start dying even before your first drink.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The sensible thing is to split larger groups into smaller ones, and so as to make the rounds even out. Even so, we often remember when it is another's turn to pay if it goes to more drinks than normal. Best not to upset the established order. :oops:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I grew up in England and always disliked the custom of "rounds" for several reasons. One is that you often end up drinking more than you wanted. Let's say you are in a group of four. Your preference is to have two drinks, but the round has to finish, so you either refuse the third and fourth drink while paying for four (or not paying if you didn't buy the first or second round) or you drink four anyway to be sociable.

One solution we used was to have a "pot" where everyone put enough money in for a couple of drinks. The drinks were paid for from the pot, and when it was gone everyone had the right to either put more money in and continue drinking or stop paying and drinking. It works if everyone is having the same (costing) drinks, like beers, as was often the case and also if the group stays the same.

Over here in the USA, the normal thing is to have a "tab" where all the drinks are paid for at the end of the evening, and the cost can be divided up then.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
An old joke I just re-purposed....

Rev: Uncle Angus, can I have $10?
Angus: Why do you need $9?
Rev: To buy haggis.
Angus: It costs $8 now?
Rev: Inflation, ya know.
Angus: Ach! I never thought it would rise to $7 !!!
Rev: Well it has.
Angus: Let me see if I have that $6....
Angus: Ach! I've only $5.
Angus: Here is your $4.
Rev: But it's only $3.
Angus: <takes a dollar back>
Rev: Now it's only $2 !!!
Angus: <takes another dollar back>
Rev: Now I've only $1 !!!
Angus: Hey, that's mine! <takes it back>

Here's another. It made sense back when an English penny coin was a lot bigger than the six pence coin.

Uncle Angus: I'm going to give you a reward for being good. Which one would you like, the big one or the small one? (Holds up a penny and a six pence coin).
Kid: I don't want to be greedy, I'll take the small one.
Uncle Angus: As you've been so unselfish, I'll give you the big one.