• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychic Mediums

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some people go to psychic mediums, pay hundreds of dollars, and then are told by the psychic medium things that their deceased loved one supposedly wishes to tell them.

It's a fairly impressive product, because it's generally quite expensive, invisible and intangible, and usually phrased in a way to be unfalsifiable.

Many people leave feeling utterly convinced that what they experienced, was proof of an afterlife. They might point to numerous facts that couldn't possibly have been guessed, although when it is reviewed in more controlled settings and the transcript is printed out, there tends to be a lot more wrong guesses by the medium than the customer remembers.

One would think, that if mediums were so capable of giving clear proof from deceased loves ones, that this would be a scientifically solved question by now. It really seems like one of the more clear-cut types of paranormal experiences to sort out truth from falsehood.

So what do you think? Are some psychic mediums for real, or is it all deception through cold-reading, many wrong guesses, and other things?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Some people go to psychic mediums, pay hundreds of dollars, and then are told by the psychic medium things that their deceased loved one supposedly wishes to tell them.

It's a fairly impressive product, because it's generally quite expensive, invisible and intangible, and usually phrased in a way to be unfalsifiable.

Many people leave feeling utterly convinced that what they experienced, was proof of an afterlife. They might point to numerous facts that couldn't possibly have been guessed, although when it is reviewed in more controlled settings and the transcript is printed out, there tends to be a lot more wrong guesses by the medium than the customer remembers.

One would think, that if mediums were so capable of giving clear proof from deceased loves ones, that this would be a scientifically solved question by now. It really seems like one of the more clear-cut types of paranormal experiences to sort out truth from falsehood.

So what do you think? Are some psychic mediums for real, or is it all deception through cold-reading, many wrong guesses, and other things?

I don't believe in God, and I see far more reason to be suspicious of mediums. Most simply, the approach to interpreting medium's comments by the person who has been read is telling, in my opinion.

It's possible that somewhere there is a legit medium or two. It goes so far against how I interpret the world that I would be the first to admit I'm not a fair judge of this. But I think using a rule of thumb that suggests all mediums are false is a more beneficial behaviour than any alternative.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I believe strongly some are really able to communicate with some of the dead, but always highly doubt the ones who set up business services :D

I experience paranormal/supernatural stuffs my self on varied levels off and on...if I could do certain things at will and on call I wouldn't sell it to grieving folks or science labs or research centers. I'm quite comfortable with the rarity of these things and the strong, steady disbelief of the majority.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe strongly some are really able to communicate with some of the dead, but always highly doubt the ones who set up business services :D

I experience paranormal/supernatural stuffs my self on varied levels off and on...if I could do certain things at will and on call I wouldn't sell it to grieving folks or science labs or research centers. I'm quite comfortable with the rarity of these things and the strong, steady disbelief of the majority.
Would you show it to research people so that you could earn a million dollars and give the money to charity, and show the world that the abilities are real and worth being looked into?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Would you show it to research people so that you could earn a million dollars and give the money to charity, and show the world that the abilities are real and worth being looked into?

It's a tough call, probably not...I doubt charities more than mediums lol

Some of the world does know and it is constantly being tested and looked into by govt. resources. :areyoucra

Some of the stuffs we teach in low-light/no-light combat tactics don't make sense without "paranormal" and is verified on a regular basis.

Imagine the x-men mythic scenario where specific people more "gifted" with newly realized abilities and stuffs are in danger of being rounded up, locked up, hooked up to machines in lab areas etc.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a tough call, probably not...I doubt charities more than mediums lol
Why's that?

Some of the world does know and it is constantly being tested and looked into by govt. resources. :areyoucra

Imagine the x-men mythic scenario where specific people more "gifted" with newly realized abilities and stuffs are in danger of being rounded up, locked up, hooked up to machines in lab areas etc.
So you're so effective you don't want to let your secret out.

Some of the stuffs we teach in low-light/no-light combat tactics don't make sense without "paranormal" and is verified on a regular basis.
What do you mean here?

Can you link to sources?

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I believe in mediums. I have been to one or two and spent a sum and got nothing that really impressed me.

However I think that the strongest cases for mediumship can not be explained away if one objectively studies the last 150 years of psychical research. Recently a Dr. Gary Schwartz, with all kind of academic qualifications, tested some alleged 'gifted' mediums and came away a believer and has published on the subject.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Why's that?

So you're so effective you don't want to let your secret out.

What do you mean here?

Can you link to sources?

It's hard to find a charity to trust or any group set up to receive money really. I remember looking over a huge list when I was military enlisted for charities that would receive a portion of our pay direct deposit...I ended up just doing lots of charity work instead with my hands and time instead of money.

As far as the govt. stuff I wouldn't go into much detail and I still contract with D.O.D. and others :D I would wager there are conspiracy theorists out there bringing up some things that have amounts of truth to it.

The one thing I've brought up in other posts is how we teach aspects of sentry removal raises some questions to the "mind/body trap" as thought of by our understanding of natural laws. It's understood that you can do a type of mind projection or intent, so that you can be often times rsther precisely located without use of sight, hearing, smell, etc.

We do little demonstrations in a field some place out in NE Ohio to show how often a person can predict or recognize your location without using senses.

It leads up to why we don't ever stare or pre-analyze our actions when closing distance with a sentry or group of people. In "big army" the reasons aren't even discussed but the methods are there.

Most people have been in a mall or some other public place and turned around to the exact location of a person looking them over or staring. You just don't think much about it and move on with the day.

There is methods to increase sensory perception that sometimes also give feedback to things not supposed to exist and yet it is co-witnessed by others. All with thorough, regular psyche evals and no family history of mental illness.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe in mediums. I have been to one or two and spent a sum and got nothing that really impressed me.

However I think that the strongest cases for mediumship can not be explained away if one objectively studies the last 150 years of psychical research. Recently a Dr. Gary Schwartz, with all kind of academic qualifications, tested some alleged 'gifted' mediums and came away a believer and has published on the subject.
Is it peer reviewed?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's hard to find a charity to trust or any group set up to receive money really. I remember looking over a huge list when I was military enlisted for charities that would receive a portion of our pay direct deposit...I ended up just doing lots of charity work instead with my hands and time instead of money.
So you're saying you literally can't do any good with a million dollars, easily earned?

Consider me skeptical.

As far as the govt. stuff I wouldn't go into much detail and I still contract with D.O.D. and others :D I would wager there are conspiracy theorists out there bringing up some things that have amounts of truth to it.

The one thing I've brought up in other posts is how we teach aspects of sentry removal raises some questions to the "mind/body trap" as thought of by our understanding of natural laws. It's understood that you can do a type of mind projection or intent, so that you can be often times rsther precisely located without use of sight, hearing, smell, etc.

We do little demonstrations in a field some place out in NE Ohio to show how often a person can predict or recognize your location without using senses.

It leads up to why we don't ever stare or pre-analyze our actions when closing distance with a sentry or group of people. In "big army" the reasons aren't even discussed but the methods are there.

Most people have been in a mall or some other public place and turned around to the exact location of a person looking them over or staring. You just don't think much about it and move on with the day.

There is methods to increase sensory perception that sometimes also give feedback to things not supposed to exist and yet it is co-witnessed by others. All with thorough, regular psyche evals and no family history of mental illness.
Any papers, high quality links, etc?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I personally believe that psychic phenomena does exist, but I don't trust any proclaimed psychic that charges for their services. I see most of them as nothing but scam artists. It's like paying for Tarot readings. Why in the world would you pay for someone else to do it when you can buy a pack of cards and do it yourself? In the same way, if you believe your loved one's spirit is out there and you wish to communicate with them, why not do it yourself?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the same way, if you believe your loved one's spirit is out there and you wish to communicate with them, why not do it yourself?
The claim generally is that some people are more sensitive than others.

People that go to a medium don't just want to communicate with a loved one; they want to receive answers back, which mediums in various ways claim to do.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The claim generally is that some people are more sensitive than others.

People that go to a medium don't just want to communicate with a loved one; they want to receive answers back, which mediums in various ways claim to do.

I think that those abilities are open to everyone who honestly opens themselves up to that sort of communication. But that's just me. I don't believe in paying people for something that you could do yourself.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
So you're saying you literally can't do any good with a million dollars, easily earned?

Consider me skeptical.

Any papers, high quality links, etc?

Just count it as a strange guy's musing and imagination :D

:run: lol

I would bet there are things to be dug up and I got no idea where or what they are. I really just go off personal experiences, conversations, etc. If I was to go on record I would present myself as completely ignorant of anything unusual or different with the way things are ran as of today.

I'm a pretty honest fellow though. Even my handle on here is my real surname because I'm not that creative or crafty.

Have you ever thought you knew something you should not be able to know? Heard somebody talking without their mouth moving? Asked them to finish a story they never started but did happen? These things aren't as rare as people think, I think. The long term benefits and security are more important than any type if fame or fortune if you have some type of supernatural/paranormal proofs...unless somebody wants to take risks in order to start some strange cult.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that those abilities are open to everyone who honestly opens themselves up to that sort of communication. But that's just me. I don't believe in paying people for something that you could do yourself.
What in your opinion does it mean to honestly open their self up? What would that entail?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Have you ever thought you knew something you should not be able to know? Heard somebody talking without their mouth moving? Asked them to finish a story they never started but did happen?
No, I have not.