• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychiatry's Sick Compulsion

Flappycat

Oh, but Dd! The APA is just being self-reliant and taking responsibility for its individual interests! You can't fault them for that, silly! You're a good, little libertarian and can't criticise people for innocently trying to bring in a happy, little profit. I can. The solution to the illness is to do away with the holiday altogether. The emo rubbish is sickening, and it doesn't come to the least bit of good. In other words, HUMBUG!

As for the APA, I think it's good of them to finally make the observation. It's our first step toward altogether giving it the toss. Economy? People purchasing useless rubbish they don't need? HAH! That's not good economy. That's waste. For that matter, it does more for China's economy than anything else because they're the knick knack capital of the world. Practically anything you'd get on the holiday is either made in China or comes from a company based in Japan.

The New Year, on the other hand, is a different matter. Why? It's about sex and booze, is why. You can't go wrong with sex and booze if you want a hap-hap-happy as a fat porker holiday. Here's something else I'd suggest to make the holiday season a bit happier: a sporting event, YEAH! Nothing makes middle-aged closet homosexuals happy like grown men in shiny, form-fitting uniforms chasing each other around in a pretty, green field. Also, let's skip the big meal and have Christmas Nascar! Kids under eighteen get in for free! That makes rednecks happy! It really does! There's the true spirit of Christmas for you, baby!

And then we can pay more attention to the fireworks display. Why the fireworks display? Simple: it's something that people actually don't have to pretend to like, and it's the ultimate family event. We can have Christmas barbeque because people actually LIKE them! Skip the rubbish the old ladies cart out every year, and let the old men at the grill because men actually know how to cook! They just pour the weirdest possible seasonings on meat in large amounts and stab anyone who doesn't like it with one of the bones. That's cooking!

People LIKE being barbarians. That's why they ACT like barbarians. To make people HAPPY, let them act like barbarians, and give them some good, old-fashioned, barbarian holiday entertainment. That'll cure the whole thing. It'll be the happiest part of the year, and everyone will act like it. The reason people are depressed is that the current holiday traditions are made up of tawdry rubbish, standards that nobody really wants to meet, and movies about poor people and divorce!

Most importantly, the maudlin rubbish has got to go. It's just gotta go. I don't know what you did with it this time, but, this year, skip it. Skip it entirely, and just have a good time.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
WeAreAllOne said:
-Sunstone and FFH
I don't know the answer to your question in every case, but for the most part it seems these were people trying to treat themselves using natural remedies they had read about or heard about, such as changing their diet, etc.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Flappycat said:
Oh, but Dd! The APA is just being self-reliant and taking responsibility for its individual interests! You can't fault them for that, silly! You're a good, little libertarian and can't criticise people for innocently trying to bring in a happy, little profit. I can. The solution to the illness is to do away with the holiday altogether. The emo rubbish is sickening, and it doesn't come to the least bit of good. In other words, HUMBUG!

As for the APA, I think it's good of them to finally make the observation. It's our first step toward altogether giving it the toss. Economy? People purchasing useless rubbish they don't need? HAH! That's not good economy. That's waste. For that matter, it does more for China's economy than anything else because they're the knick knack capital of the world. Practically anything you'd get on the holiday is either made in China or comes from a company based in Japan.

The New Year, on the other hand, is a different matter. Why? It's about sex and booze, is why. You can't go wrong with sex and booze if you want a hap-hap-happy as a fat porker holiday. Here's something else I'd suggest to make the holiday season a bit happier: a sporting event, YEAH! Nothing makes middle-aged closet homosexuals happy like grown men in shiny, form-fitting uniforms chasing each other around in a pretty, green field. Also, let's skip the big meal and have Christmas Nascar! Kids under eighteen get in for free! That makes rednecks happy! It really does! There's the true spirit of Christmas for you, baby!

And then we can pay more attention to the fireworks display. Why the fireworks display? Simple: it's something that people actually don't have to pretend to like, and it's the ultimate family event. We can have Christmas barbeque because people actually LIKE them! Skip the rubbish the old ladies cart out every year, and let the old men at the grill because men actually know how to cook! They just pour the weirdest possible seasonings on meat in large amounts and stab anyone who doesn't like it with one of the bones. That's cooking!

People LIKE being barbarians. That's why they ACT like barbarians. To make people HAPPY, let them act like barbarians, and give them some good, old-fashioned, barbarian holiday entertainment. That'll cure the whole thing. It'll be the happiest part of the year, and everyone will act like it. The reason people are depressed is that the current holiday traditions are made up of tawdry rubbish, standards that nobody really wants to meet, and movies about poor people and divorce!

Most importantly, the maudlin rubbish has got to go. It's just gotta go. I don't know what you did with it this time, but, this year, skip it. Skip it entirely, and just have a good time.
Flappycat, you sound very angry.........:help:

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Flappycat said:
Oh, but Dd! The APA is just being self-reliant and taking responsibility for its individual interests! You can't fault them for that, silly! You're a good, little libertarian and can't criticise people for innocently trying to bring in a happy, little profit.

Lol Tis' true. I don't fault them for trying and I wouldn't use the government against them. :) If they can get everyone to take their drugs and depend on them for their life style, then more power to them, but not me man. They won't get me on that stuff.

Flappycat said:
I can. The solution to the illness is to do away with the holiday altogether. The emo rubbish is sickening, and it doesn't come to the least bit of good. In other words, HUMBUG!

What is this in reference to?

Flappycat said:

Are we talking about Christmas here? Why do we want to get rid of the holiday. That's when most of our companies make most of their profit and there are all kinds of jobs created during the holidays.

Flappycat said:

:biglaugh: How you went from the beginning of your post to the end of it was masterful. What the hell are you talking about?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Darkdale said:
:biglaugh: How you went from the beginning of your post to the end of it was masterful. What the hell are you talking about?
Does it matter? It made me chuckle and cheered me up. :D

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
FFH said:
John63 we have all been through stuff like that. My own father was a social worker and he would not even allow me to be mentally ill. He would get pissed off at me and tried to kick me out of the house over 15 years ago for feeling that way.
Don't you think it's a little sad that someone who apparently dealt with mentally ill people on a daily basis wasn't prepared to offer any level of help to his own flesh and blood?
Of course, the other option is that he just got pissed of with you because you were being a self indulgent twat at the time and wanted you to snap out of that.

john63

titmouse
lady_lazarus said:
Don't you think it's a little sad that someone who apparently dealt with mentally ill people on a daily basis wasn't prepared to offer any level of help to his own flesh and blood?
Of course, the other option is that he just got pissed of with you because you were being a self indulgent twat at the time and wanted you to snap out of that.
:biglaugh: lady lazarus, I'm sure your probably not aware, but in the U.S. that word in red means something that I won't repeat here.:biglaugh:

Sorry for going off topic, but that just cracked me up.:jiggy:

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
My partner's mum was a nurse and refused to take her kids to the doctors on several occasions.

Almost caused some lasting damage.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
john63 said:
:biglaugh: lady lazarus, I'm sure your probably not aware, but in the U.S. that word in red means something that I won't repeat here.:biglaugh:

Twot is our variation and Fanny means the same.

john63

titmouse
john63 said:

(In the U.S. it's a derogatory term for the female genetalia)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
john63 said:
(In the U.S. it's a derogatory term for the female genetalia)
Yeah I'm pretty sure she knew. . .

We're really not that shy about using a few blue words in this part of the world. The louder the better.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Since I'm not a doctor I'm not going to comment on the validity of any of the medicines or treatments, but I do know my experience with a psychologist (psychiatrist? I forget which one gives you medicine) was pretty negative. He magically managed to know I needed antidepressants within 15 minutes of talking to me, and that I needed to stay on them for a year by talking to me twice a month (if that) and being a general arse when I asked for an appointment more than twice a month.

Though the definition of disorder does make me wonder if my obsessive skin picking is a disorder or just something that I've done for all my life.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
ChrisP said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure she knew. . .

We're really not that shy about using a few blue words in this part of the world. The louder the better.
Actually, I wasn't thinking of it specifically in that context...

Flappycat

Jensa said:
Since I'm not a doctor I'm not going to comment on the validity of any of the medicines or treatments, but I do know my experience with a psychologist (psychiatrist? I forget which one gives you medicine) was pretty negative. He magically managed to know I needed antidepressants within 15 minutes of talking to me, and that I needed to stay on them for a year by talking to me twice a month (if that) and being a general arse when I asked for an appointment more than twice a month.
Unfortunately, finding a psyciatrist worth his salt is generally going to require a great deal of research, expense, and trial and error. Always check where they got their degrees because this plays a large role in their beliefs and methodology.

Though the definition of disorder does make me wonder if my obsessive skin picking is a disorder or just something that I've done for all my life.
Isn't this supposedly a form of tension relief? Physical training of some kind might help. Personally, I found that my habits of driving needles into my skin, nail-biting, knuckle cracking (the reverse form in which the fingers are bent back unnaturally), nibbling and picking at the skin around my nails to the point of bleeding, and forcing my body into awkward and straining positions that may have played a role in the enduring problems I'm having with my right knee and lower back were in part due to having trouble accepting, managing, and expressing anger, which became apparent after listening to violent black metal for a while and becoming creative with comical swearing and ranting seemed to have a positive effect. Anger expression is a natural cathartic practice for reducing stress if used properly. Then again, I can only go by my own experiences.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Flappycat said:
Unfortunately, finding a psyciatrist worth his salt is generally going to require a great deal of research, expense, and trial and error. Always check where they got their degrees because this plays a large role in their beliefs and methodology.

In your opinion, which schools have the most objective approach psychiatric medicine?

Flappycat

Darkdale said:
In your opinion, which schools have the most objective approach psychiatric medicine?
Probably the minority, but I generally expect people to be idiots. Well-meaning idiots, perhaps, but idiots, nonetheless. Oh, humanity, how I love you, and how you frustrate me.

Ceridwen018

I look around the room, and I see a lot of Tom Cruises.

I am certain that there are people on psychiatric drugs right now who do not need them. I think its possible that there are certain psychiatric "disorders" for which drugs are not necessary--instead a change in lifestyle would be sufficient.

That said, I am also certain that there are people out there living fuller, more meaningful lives, (heck, living period!), because their psychiatric illnesses have been corrected by drugs--we cannot forget those people.

As it has been mentioned, psychiatry in general is a relatively new medical field. Although we've come a long way since lobotomies, there is still much work to be done before we can even claim to have a handle on how the brain works.

They're doing the best they can, and trying to help as many people as they can. As for the person who is on unnecessary drugs...is that really the doctor's fault? All this talk of "taking responsibility for our own emotions" leads me to think not.

john63

titmouse
FFH said:
You know Darkdale is making sense again like he usually does and he is only trying to help. A good diet does help depression. Vitamin B helps the brain to function and to fire properly and our diet is deficient in B vitamins which are found in whole wheat bread. How many of us have even touched a piece of whole wheat bread in the last 10 years. Probably none of you. I eat whole wheat bread everyday and it does wonders for my mental well being as well as my physical body. A proper healthy diet does help fight depression and mental disorders. Going outside and getting some sun is also a big factor in mental well being. These things are free and will save you a whole lot of visits to the local pharmacist. Sun, fun and diet and sleep go a long way. We have forgotten these things as adults.
You're absolutely correct, FFH. A healthy diet is a good way to treat or prevent almost all disorders and diseases, psyciatric or not. There are some people though, like me, who have tried and continue methods that do not involve meds and had little or no success. Heck, I didn't want to go on Effexor, I hate drugs, but it was a last resort for me and it happened to do the job quite well. I worked with a psyciatrist while I was on the drug to figure out why I was having depression and panic attacks and eventually I was able to taper off the drug and now I no longer take them. The drug got me through that year of therapy as a temporary measure until the underlying cause was found.