• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychiatry's Sick Compulsion

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A disorder is a true disorder only if it keeps you from functioning as you would like to function.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Nicely said Sun.

Tho i'd like to add, how does other peoples opinions bare onto that theory?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Darkdale said:
then they have OPPOSITIONAL DEFIANT DISORDER, also known as BEING A FREACKING CHILD! :areyoucra
Not every child displays the symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder. If all children did, then I could see some point to your statement that it's just "being a freaking child".

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Sunstone said:
A disorder is a true disorder only if it keeps you from functioning as you would like to function.
Hence the difference between Obsessive Compulsive Personality and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Fluffy

A fool
Oh absoloutely, I was on cipralex and that done nothing, then my doctor was looking at prozac :eek: , I thought bugger that.

So i'm off them for now.
Lol there's nothing wrong with prozac. It's the only anti-depressant given to under 18's over here because of its comparative lack of side effects.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Sunstone said:
I'm sorry to hear that you have a social anxiety disorder, Ori. I don't know anything about cipralex, but I have heard that Prozac has a better success rate with such disorders than it does even with depression.

That's because Prozac turns your emotional volatility off. Serotonin reuptake blocking agents create an artificial emotional stability. The problem is that a low level of serotonin is thought to lead to all kinds of problems from depression, to OCD, to anxiety. By preventing reuptake, prozac helps keep the serotonin flowing, but it does this automatically and indiscriminately. In other words, your brain will no longer have unique responses to stimuli. The drugs have control and every experience is filtered through a cold kind of sensation. You no longer have those natural ups and downs that come with being a person. The most effective drug for treating anxiety is diazepam, which you don't need a build up in your system for (as you do with prozac). You can just take it when you need it.

What is so frustrating is that SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) are the most widely distributed drugs in the world. That means that millions of people aren't getting a natural experience of the world, which can't be good. I may get depressed and anxious, but without the drugs I am at least.... well, I guess it doesn't matter. Take them, or don't take them. I just don't think they aren't necessary. Just, with prozac, there are some pretty bad side effects (mainly insomnia). Just be careful with these drugs.

Sunstone said:
Not every child displays the symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder. If all children did, then I could see some point to your statement that it's just "being a freaking child".

Oh yeah sure, my bad. Most children. If they don't get you for ODD, it'll be ADD or ADHD, or bipolar. "Normal", healthy children will be a very small minority and the drug companies will make a fortune.

Fluffy

A fool
Oh yeah sure, my bad. Most children. If they don't get you for ODD, it'll be ADD or ADHD, or bipolar. "Normal", healthy children will be a very small minority and the drug companies will make a fortune.
What is the justification behind your assumption that the majority of children are "normal" healthy children? I'd say that there is enough artifical crap in human society to make such a situation a miracle at best.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Fluffy said:
What is the justification behind your assumption that the majority of children are "normal" healthy children? I'd say that there is enough artifical crap in human society to make such a situation a miracle at best.
"You must spread the karma around a bit before fruballing Fluffy again." Drat! I wholeheartedly agree Fluffy that many of the problems we see today are being caused at least in part by the societies we live in. But of course, no one is going to change society just to make it safer and healthier for children. We'd rather keep our way of life than do anything like that!

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Fluffy said:

I think of normal as being the natural human condition. I think we live in a society of drug addiction and abuse. I think people would rather take drugs to solve their problems than to deal with them themselves. There is nothing morally wrong with taking drugs, in my opinion, but I've taken them and stopped. I am much better off today than when I let psychiatrists dose me with prozac, depakote, paxel and trasidone. We live in an overmedicated society with 42% of Americans taking at least one prescription drug. Anyway, there is no objective or scientific reason why we shouldn't take all these drugs, but for me drugs aren't the answer. If other people feel they need them, ok, but I feel sorry for the ones that take them and don't need them, who are forced to experience life articificially.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Depression can cause the brain to degenerate. Anti-depressants have been shown to halt this degeneration. I would not discourage anyone from using anti-depressants. The physical effects of depression on the brain are just now coming to light, and the evidence is mounting that this illness is devastating if not halted.

It's all very well and good to toy with the notion that we know better than psychiatrists how to treat depression with home remedies, but depression takes a real toll on its victums, and proscribing home remedies for them seems to me a bit naive.

john63

titmouse
Darkdale said:
That's because Prozac turns your emotional volatility off. Serotonin reuptake blocking agents create an artificial emotional stability. The problem is that a low level of serotonin is thought to lead to all kinds of problems from depression, to OCD, to anxiety. By preventing reuptake, prozac helps keep the serotonin flowing, but it does this automatically and indiscriminately. In other words, your brain will no longer have unique responses to stimuli. The drugs have control and every experience is filtered through a cold kind of sensation. You no longer have those natural ups and downs that come with being a person. The most effective drug for treating anxiety is diazepam, which you don't need a build up in your system for (as you do with prozac). You can just take it when you need it.

What is so frustrating is that SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) are the most widely distributed drugs in the world. That means that millions of people aren't getting a natural experience of the world, which can't be good. I may get depressed and anxious, but without the drugs I am at least.... well, I guess it doesn't matter. Take them, or don't take them. I just don't think they aren't necessary. Just, with prozac, there are some pretty bad side effects (mainly insomnia). Just be careful with these drugs.

I took Effexor for a year to treat my depression and panic disorder. I can assure you I was not turned into a zombie and I had as natural of an experience with the world as anyone else. As a matter of fact, I felt no different while on this drug then I did before I developed depression and panic disorder.

Have you ever had a severe panic attack, Darkdale. First you get virtigo, then you feel like you can't breath, then the virtigo gets worse and you feel like your going to pass out, then the virtigo gets worse everything starts to get dark, then the virtigo gets worse and you feel like you're going to die!!! Then when it finally passes and you start to feel better, THE SECOND WAVE COMES AND IT FEELS WORSE THAN THE FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
john63 said:
I took Effexor for a year to treat my depression and panic disorder. I can assure you I was not turned into a zombie and I had as natural of an experience with the world as anyone else. As a matter of fact, I felt no different while on this drug then I did before I developed depression and panic disorder.
:biglaugh: You're not having an attack right now are you? Maybe you suffer from Sudden Anger Disorder or from a Disgusting Metaphor Addiction. Twenty bucks says there is a drug for that. Maybe smoking some herb would help. All of these drugs have different effects on different people. We don't know why Dopamine and Serotonin effect us the way they do (we know what their correlations are, but we have trouble identifying specific processes) and we don't know how to navigate the exact workings of our neurotransmitters. None of these drugs target specific levels of Serotonin, so there is no way of knowing how much of an effect the drugs will have.

Anyway, Effexor is usually given to people who the other SSRIs didn't work or had negative side effects. Effexor effects Serotonin and Norepinephrine and has typically lower side-effects than other SSRIs. Anyway, I've never taken it and I don't know anyone who has, so maybe your experiences seemed natural. I don't know.

john63 said:
Have you ever had a severe panic attack, Darkdale. First you get virtigo, then you feel like you can't breath, then the virtigo gets worse and you feel like your going to pass out, then the virtigo gets worse everything starts to get dark, then the virtigo gets worse and you feel like you're going to die!!! Then when it finally passes and you start to feel better, THE SECOND WAVE COMES AND IT FEELS WORSE THAN THE FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah. I've had three severe panic attacks. They were frightening. What's your point?

john63

titmouse
Darkdale said:
:biglaugh: You're not having an attack right now are you? Maybe you suffer from Sudden Anger Disorder or from a Disgusting Metaphor Addiction. Twenty bucks says there is a drug for that. Maybe smoking some herb would help. All of these drugs have different effects on different people. We don't know why Dopamine and Serotonin effect us the way they do and we don't know how to navigate the exact workings of our neurotransmitters. None of these drugs and target specific levels of Serotonin, so there is no way of knowing how much of an effect the drugs will have.

Anyway, Effexor is usually given to people who the other SSRIs didn't work or had negative side effects. Effexor effects Serotonin and Norepinephrine and has typically lower side-effects than other SSRIs. Anyway, I've never taken it and I don't know anyone who has, so maybe your experiences seemed natural. I don't know.

Yeah. I've had three severe panic attacks. They were frightening. What's your point?
My point is you don't know what your talking about. I took some psycology courses in college also but I don't go around acting as though I'm an expert. My point is that if you don't know what your talking about, don't make claims that you know are going to be offensive. You say you had 3 painic attacks? Well I'm glad for you that your able to count yours. Having a brief bout with acute anxiety doesn't make you an expert on anything.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
**MOD POST**

Do not insult each other. Instead take your medications or take a walk, but whatever you do, don't insult each other.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
john63 said:
My point is you don't know what your talking about. I took some psycology courses in college also but I don't go around acting as though I'm an expert. My point is that if you don't know what your talking about, don't make claims that you know are going to be offensive. You say you had 3 painic attacks? Well I'm glad for you that your able to count yours. Having a brief bout with acute anxiety doesn't make you an expert on anything.

lol Did I say I was an expert? In fact, I pointed out that I'm talking about my own personal experience. I've listed stats only when necessary.

Listen guys. You want to take drugs, take drugs. It's not going to hurt me. It has been my experience that the less drugs I take, the less often I get sick. It has also been my experience that I have suffered less emotional and psychological problems since quitting medication. I find that I do much better working through problems on my own and I've gotten good at it. But when I get a headache I take an advil and when my allergies get really bad I take a benedryl. :)

Drugs are there to help us, but be careful. Don't overmedicate yourself and don't forget that you aren't helpless, that there are things you can do to improve your mental health that doesn't involve drugs. You are not helpless.

WeAreAllOne

This is a really good thred! as much as all these "diorders" or "dis-eases" have a physcal aspect I belive they also have an very important energectic aspect as well. Many energy healing modlitys are very effective for these problems. Personally I've been on these drugs too and would never touch them again. ( Sorry for my amazing spelling today :))

WeAreAllOne

I tried to kill myself when I was on it.. also I think it made my dissisositve <-sp.? periods worse.
(I had CD and was a Self-Injurer at the time)

gnomon

john63 said:
This really pisses me off. I'm sick of you people that have never suffered any of these disorder putting those of us down who have. Let me tell you something Mr., I have been a victim of chronic depression and panic disorder and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Your wrong, Mr Know-it-all. These disorders do have a biological cause. The levels of Dopamine, Seratonin, and other neurotransmitters is out of balance in people with these disorders.
A biological cause for a symptom or disorder does not qualify any condition as a disease.

The quest by the medical and pharmaceutical industries to categorize any deviation from normality is not in the best interest of the people. I don't think I'm being too ambitious in my claim that every human being will suffer from anxiety, depression or some mood disturbance in their lifetime. For the vast majority of them there is no reason to be medicated. Living a healthy lifestyle provides the body an ability to recover from the majority of griefs we suffer mentally. It is tragic to watch someone who does suffer from a condition that causes extreme emotional disturbance and who require medicine but it's just as tragic watching people being improperly medicated for illusionary illnesses. Especially when the medications themselves can cause problems.

I too am diagnosed with a mental disorder. Manic-Depression. I've been in the hospital and attended 12-step meetings dominated by people who went through the same form of hospitalization I did. My personal experience led me to believe that the majority of the people I met on some form of medication did not need them. Addicts given anti-depressants on the short term to help cope with the early stages of recovery were still taking them for no better reason than an unnecessary crutch. I watched people flip out on meds after a psych diagnosed them as bipolar after one session. To me that is almost criminal.

Prescribing medications every instant a person does not feel normal is irresponsible. Please note I do not deny the existence of disorders and their need to be treated. Nor am I stating that what you suffer from does not need to be treated. I have gone through a regimen of Lithium saddled with several other medications and I cannot deny the positive effect they had on me.

However the isssue of mental illness must be approached cautiously. I too would not wish anything I went through on another person. Nor would I wish them to go through the side effects of the medications when they would do just as well or even better without them.