• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychedelic Pulpits

Thief

Rogue Theologian
yep....that's right...

so I was rolling down the highway listening to a science program on my radio
seems there is renewed interest in mushrooms and the concentrated extract....psilocybin

skipping to the thrust of it......the chemistry makes a correction....of sorts

a smoker of thirty some odd years was given a dose
He did hallucinate
but afterward had no desire for tobacco
(nor did he want to repeat the experiment)

a similar test was done to see if a spiritual experienced could be induced
10 participants were given palcebos
10 were given the real stuff

of the 10 that got the real thing
9 went on to become ministers

Not that I advocate chemistry to correct your thinking
I don't

I just heard about it on the radio

comments?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There is a history of psychedelics being used in order to for users to "experience" what was interpreted as the divine. Studies have shown that those experiences were mere hallucinations, because they are called mind altering drugs for a reason.

What Psychedelics Really Do to Your Brain
The Brain on LSD: New Scans Show Drug's Trippy Effects
Here’s What LSD Does To the Brain
it was mentioned in the report
participants were questioned and many used the word 'divine' attempting to express the experience

the experiment done on church goers (performed in a church)
was of course intended and directed toward the 'inner' perspective

the participants given placebos did not have the 'experience'
and their lives went no further toward the 'divine'

and of course.....whether of spirit or of body
what we perceive is handled in part by an existing mind set
the experience could alter that mind set
and it need not be repeated

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If you use hallucinogenic drugs to induce your spiritual experience, I am gonna consider that very solid evidence that your experience was really just a hallucination.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
Yes, LSD was an excellent medication to expand one's mind, I remember. Popular in the 60's. It provided some very bizarre experiences, of all kinds. It could, and would, produce any kind of weird experience you could, or couldn't, imagine. Say for instance you're sitting starring at the wall and suddenly the paint all starts sagging and dripping down to the bottom. And then the wall itself might fall and you're suddenly starring at the building next door. Or while driving the road may suddenly lift up and point upward. Most of these unique visions and hallucinations would disappear shortly, I think because they were so unique. Many went with it in a religious, mystical direction, but there was no way to know what would happen. I was not religious at the time and had no such visions or hallucinations. One value to me was simply the knowledge that the mind was really unknown and unpredictable, and that everything should be examined and questioned.

PureX

Veteran Member
There is a history of psychedelics being used in order to for users to "experience" what was interpreted as the divine. Studies have shown that those experiences were mere hallucinations, because they are called mind altering drugs for a reason.
There is no study that could possibly prove that a chemically induced experience of a "divine realm" is not a valid experience of a divine realm.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Btw,

6. Illegal Activities
Advocating or discussing personal engagement in illegal activities or criminal organizations (such as hate groups or terrorist groups) is prohibited in all areas of RF. Illegal activities are defined based on United States law, and include but are not limited to: drug use, theft, piracy, vandalism, and all violent crimes. Voicing opposition to illegal activities and criminal organizations, or debating changes to current criminal law, may be acceptable at the discretion of the RF staff.

RF Rules

David1967

Premium Member
yep....that's right...

seems there is renewed interest in mushrooms and the concentrated extract....psilocybin

He did hallucinate

I don't

comments?

Did this happen to be on 'Coast to coast AM?'

allfoak

Alchemist
yep....that's right...

He did hallucinate

I don't

comments?
It works and should be considered a viable option for some.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As someone who used those drugs during the 1960's and had those kind of experiences, they were to me and many others a mirage. I'm not speaking of use in medicine but use in order to try to have certain experiences. We found that it was like kicking open a locked door and then sometimes having trouble closing the door again (lingering bad effects). Opening the door naturally is not only safer but real and long lasting.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
The use of drugs for other then vaild medical reasons is for the weak and limited mind. People who are more interested in deluding themselves rather than working for true understanding. There are no magic pills to replace diligent hardwork when expanding one's mind.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
yep....that's right...

He did hallucinate

I don't

comments?

So...how many times have you tried the experiment since you heard this? :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The use of drugs for other then vaild medical reasons is for the weak and limited mind. People who are more interested in deluding themselves rather than working for true understanding. There are no magic pills to replace diligent hardwork when expanding one's mind.
I think that remains a very valid point. Besides this, all too many people who are mentally unstable to begin with can be playing Russian roulette with their psychological grasp of reality by taking these drugs.

So-called "lucid" dreaming and meditation are far more rewarding and safer.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
yep....that's right...

He did hallucinate

I don't

comments?

I kind of already suspected hallucinations help with religious belief.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
yep....that's right...

He did hallucinate

I don't

comments?
People just like to get high.

Sanzbir

I don't think it is wise to trust experiences you get from psychedelics. This is my reasoning:

First, there is obviously something in the brain that causes a "religious experience".

If atheism is true, than we shouldn't trust spiritual events from psychedelics because no spiritual experience is true.

If atheism is false, then logically the part in the brain that causes a "religious experience" is triggered by real spiritual forces. This would mean that this part of the brain is essentially a "sense" like the other sensory organs: sight, sound, touch, etc.

Because it is either nonsense (if atheism is correct) or a sensory organ (if atheism is incorrect) then I'd say never to trust it when under the effects of psychedelics.

I say this because I have a condition known as synesthesia. Specifically chromesthesia. Basically my sensory information is screwed up in my brain and I get sensations of shape and color whenever I hear anything.

There are many other types of synesthesia, basically triggering sensations of one thing when the other sensory organ is triggered. Seeing sound, tasting color, feeling taste.

This is important because psychedelics can induce synesthesia. The effect can especially be found in the kind of psychedelics that can also induce religious experience.

So if a psychedelic can scramble your senses so that you can see the color of sound, couldn't it also translate, say, the sensation of touch into the sensory organ that causes religious experiences??

So I think we have two options: Either religious experiences are nothing and thus psychedelic religious experiences are nothing. Or religious experiences are real, in which case psychedelic experiences are likely a form of "spiritual synesthesia": Experiencing a different sensation as if it was a spiritual sensation.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
I'd respectfully disagree, expanding one's mind can come from any source. Especially anything that makes one think 'outside the box'. You feel that way about jimson weed and peyote,too? All natural plants .......

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have heard the gov has wanted to shut down the rituals of American Indians
as they use chemistry in their performance

perhaps that would be bad?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

However, this is a legit post.

There have now been multiple studies. People with PTSD for instance, - have been taken out of this country for these drug treatments for years, - with great success. Psychedelic drugs have a long history of use to heal people.

Cannabis is even mentioned in the Bible for Temple use.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
I have heard the gov has wanted to shut down the rituals of American Indians
as they use chemistry in their performance

perhaps that would be bad?

That would be bad, yes, I think so. What could be wrong with eating some shrooms and getting off on them for religious purposes? How different is it than the magic wafer that becomes Christ's body, and the wine that becomes his blood? Did I get that right?