• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Provisions in the Contract with Black America

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm looking at this "Contract with Black America" to see with provisions are easiest and most likely to pass into law.... You can access it at https://contractwithblackamerica.us/ I think some of these lack detail. Some I don't know whether they could be passed. Some obviously could, but I've mentioned only few here to get the party started.

I'm skipping past the first three affirmative action provisions for a few reasons. Some people say affirmative action is actually not good. Some say it is. I have no oar on it. Also, I don't know exactly why they pick certain numbers like 25% for national schools. What's the 25% coming from? Don't know. Also to me (and many people) colleges are price gouging everybody, and it seems like its time to get rid of most of them and force them to start over. Other people feel like the answer is free college paid for through taxes. The whole topic of affirmative action is just not something I know much about and is bound up with school funding. Its a relevant subject provided that schools and colleges continue to be funded in the way that they have been -- through price gouging, huge loans and incompetence pressed down from above. Then its relevant. We have shelves of threads on Affirmative Action, already. As a topic its never over.

Mandatory civil rights and anti racism classes in all elementary schools. That is doable, however I'd want to get feedback about it and wouldn't send my child to a class designed to impress them with the kind of guilt that Europeans and UK people seem to deal with over colonialism and past wars. The contract says its a History class with an anti-racism component, but it doesn't say how that anti-racism component is implemented. It sounds creepy, so it just needs a little more clarification.

Reform Gerrymandering -- yes. This is a good reason to team up on this contract. If they can help get rid of gerrymandering then that would go a long way towards getting me to overlook any objections I might have.

More polling sites in black and minority neighborhoods -- yes. That can be done. What if there aren't enough people volunteering locally to man the polls? Can they accept non-local volunteers? This may be important.

Juneteenth? I don't see why not, but its not the most important provision. Watch out or this could be the only provision that gets voted in. Better to go for the affirmative action and the reform gerrymandering if we had to choose.

Equal healthcare facilities... You have to specify how to require it. I think there is a way to get cities to encourage use of these locations through zoning laws, or you could put pressure on health insurance companies, or you could restrict the use of medical licenses or bus physicians. The contract needs a means.

Formal admission and apology to black Americans for past wrongs. It needs to specify who makes the apology and how. The Supreme Court would do nicely or the legislatures of the states, and you could put in a requirement to mention Jim Crow and comments by scholars etc. More details.

There are many more provisions in the document which is 22 pages long...so pick your provision that you think can or can't be implemented and why.

MNoBody

The similarities with these matters and the litigation ongoing historically, in the treaties with the indigenous of North America Inc. are many.......

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
The similarities with these matters and the litigation ongoing historically, in the treaties with the indigenous of North America Inc. are many.......
I think all of the police reform points seem good. The money parts are the tricky parts.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm looking at this "Contract with Black America" to see with provisions are easiest and most likely to pass into law.... You can access it at https://contractwithblackamerica.us/ I think some of these lack detail. Some I don't know whether they could be passed. Some obviously could, but I've mentioned only few here to get the party started.

I'm skipping past the first three affirmative action provisions for a few reasons. Some people say affirmative action is actually not good. Some say it is. I have no oar on it. Also, I don't know exactly why they pick certain numbers like 25% for national schools. What's the 25% coming from? Don't know. Also to me (and many people) colleges are price gouging everybody, and it seems like its time to get rid of most of them and force them to start over. Other people feel like the answer is free college paid for through taxes. The whole topic of affirmative action is just not something I know much about and is bound up with school funding. Its a relevant subject provided that schools and colleges continue to be funded in the way that they have been -- through price gouging, huge loans and incompetence pressed down from above. Then its relevant. We have shelves of threads on Affirmative Action, already. As a topic its never over.

Mandatory civil rights and anti racism classes in all elementary schools. That is doable, however I'd want to get feedback about it and wouldn't send my child to a class designed to impress them with the kind of guilt that Europeans and UK people seem to deal with over colonialism and past wars. The contract says its a History class with an anti-racism component, but it doesn't say how that anti-racism component is implemented. It sounds creepy, so it just needs a little more clarification.

Reform Gerrymandering -- yes. This is a good reason to team up on this contract. If they can help get rid of gerrymandering then that would go a long way towards getting me to overlook any objections I might have.

More polling sites in black and minority neighborhoods -- yes. That can be done. What if there aren't enough people volunteering locally to man the polls? Can they accept non-local volunteers? This may be important.

Juneteenth? I don't see why not, but its not the most important provision. Watch out or this could be the only provision that gets voted in. Better to go for the affirmative action and the reform gerrymandering if we had to choose.

Equal healthcare facilities... You have to specify how to require it. I think there is a way to get cities to encourage use of these locations through zoning laws, or you could put pressure on health insurance companies, or you could restrict the use of medical licenses or bus physicians. The contract needs a means.

Formal admission and apology to black Americans for past wrongs. It needs to specify who makes the apology and how. The Supreme Court would do nicely or the legislatures of the states, and you could put in a requirement to mention Jim Crow and comments by scholars etc. More details.

There are many more provisions in the document which is 22 pages long...so pick your provision that you think can or can't be implemented and why.
uh...who is putting this out as a proposal? Who is it addressed to?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
uh...who is putting this out as a proposal? Who is it addressed to?
It is promoted by Ice Cube who is a long time protestor against police brutality and famous rap entertainer. He consulted with a couple of professors who actually drafted it for him. He was recently accused of consulting with the Trump administration about it and then contested that in an interview on CNN. This is a list of the things he wants to see discussed and would like for the next administration to address.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
First demand is good.
Existing standards for academic entry are biased towards the white community and gatekeep black people from entry. Demanding that black people should have access to education proportionally is essential.
I really don't know much about it, and do you mean that standards have questions coded to exclude people who hail from black backgrounds? What do you mean, and what is the gate? You mean its like they have people whose job it is to keep blacks out?