• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prove me wrong

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Let's try something.

Let's say that I tell you that I heard from the one and only true god. He gave me a list of laws and religious rites that are to be performed, and had me write everything he told me down in a book. God told me that all other religions are wrong, and have been sent to deceive people. I convince some of my friends and family that this is true, and they begin to follow me and the religion that I have created. Let's say that some of them even claim to have had some kind of experience that backs up my claim to have heard from god, such as me having performed miracles. Now, I take my religion out to the masses, and proclaim it as true, attempting to convert people to it.

Now, how can I be proven wrong? And how does this scenario differ from other "revealed" religions?

chinu

chinu
Let's try something.

Let's say that I tell you that I heard from the one and only true god. He gave me a list of laws and religious rites that are to be performed, and had me write everything he told me down in a book. God told me that all other religions are wrong, and have been sent to deceive people. I convince some of my friends and family that this is true, and they begin to follow me and the religion that I have created. Let's say that some of them even claim to have had some kind of experience that backs up my claim to have heard from god, such as me having performed miracles. Now, I take my religion out to the masses, and proclaim it as true, attempting to convert people to it.

Now, how can I be proven wrong? And how does this scenario differ from other "revealed" religions?
Its a very good question, I agree :)

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Let's try something.

what level of 'proof' are we looking for here?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Let's try something.

Well what are the rules and regulations.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
what level of 'proof' are we looking for here?

No specific level of proof; just how would you consider that I'm wrong. Maybe in the same way that you would offer proof that other revealed religions are wrong. But what I'm mainly looking for is how followers of other revealed religions would say that I'm wrong.

9Westy9

Premium Member
No specific level of proof; just how would you consider that I'm wrong. Maybe in the same way that you would offer proof that other revealed religions are wrong. But what I'm mainly looking for is how followers of other revealed religions would say that I'm wrong.

Well I guess members of other religions would use their standard arguments for why they're right. Things like prophecy, miracles (both in their holy book and in the world today), historical evidence and things like that. I'm more interested in proving you from from a non-theistic POV though so I'll give it some thought :p

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
W
The rules and regulations of the religion? At the moment, they are not important.
with out details this questions is wholy unanswerable and I am forced to take an agnostic opionion, what are the rules, whwat are your gods claim to fame etc.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I would say, I can't prove that it didn't happen. However, I would also add, that I don't feel an obligation to take your word for it that a god revealed himself to you. You are only one person, maybe you just had a seizure. Miracles that you may/not have performed say nothing about the legitimacy of your testimony to a divine revelation. They have something to say about your ability to perform miracles (or pretend to as the case may be).
If OJ showed the court that he could shoot lasers out of his eyes, I don't think that would have made a difference. Well, the court probably would have cleared right out of there. But besides for that.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Let me give it some thought, and I'll post when I have some.

I wouldn't because it just allows the religion to be attacked by a human bias. This is a problem. When religion start to try and justify God and his rules based on human knowledge it never is fully justifiable.

Your Premiss is a good one but it would come down to belief as the answer. Others must believe you no proof can be provided. This is what all religions teach have faith, believe tying religions to proof is there down fall.

Alceste

Vagabond
Let's try something.

I don't need to prove you wrong. If your claim to have received a message from god and second hand reports (aka hearsay) are all you're offering as evidence, I would not be persuaded.

9Westy9

Premium Member
All I need to do to prove you are wrong is point out the contradiction between these quotes

Let's say that I tell you that I heard from the one and only true god.

I convince some of my friends and family that this is true, and they begin to follow me and the religion that I have created.

It's not a religion you've created if the one true god has spoken to you. It's his/ hers/ its religion if anything. Anyhow I'll ignore that for now and assume that it reads as god's religion.

Let's try something.

First of all I'm going to make some assumptions.
1. If this god does exist and he spoke to you he has a plan
2. This plan at the very least involves gaining as many followers as possible. If not then there's very little point in giving you a "list of laws and religious rites that are to be performed" if no ones going to follow/ perform them.

First thing I'd ask then is how can God gain the most followers as quickly as possible? The method here seems odd. First he meets with one person in private. Why not meet with several people and/ or in a public place. Second if your followers claim you have performed miracle then surely you can perform them to large audiences in public places. Also why doesn't god also give your followers the ability to perform miracles? That would allow the religion to spread faster and be more convincing.

Conclusion.
This doesn't seem like a very effective or convincing way of spreading the new religion. In conclusion this god doesn't exist and thus...
[youtube]1Ua-O1vNTls[/youtube]
you're lying morgan - YouTube

allright

Let's try something.

You dont have independent proof the miracles occured

You are arrested and told you will be judged condemned beaten scourged and crucified if you dont deny your belief

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Now, how can I be proven wrong?

Proving or disproving any such thing is impossible so why would I even try. It's 'reasonableness' that matters.

And from what you claim, that everything before you was false, you would have an uphill battle to convince me.

So, I wouldn't 'prove you wrong', I would just not accept your claims.

And how does this scenario differ from other "revealed" religions?

I've never heard a major 'revealed' religion make the claim that everything before it was false. In the Abrahamic tradition, Christianity recognizes Judaism. Islam recognizes Christianity and Judaism. Baha'i recognizes Islam, Christianity and Judaism. So that's how they differ from your scenario.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
God told me that all other religions are wrong, and have been sent to deceive people.

[...]

Your god here seems like an anthromorphic and tribalistic inflation of a human ego that pushes criticism away and seems insecure.

Therefore, it is, a human understanding of God pushed along by pride, or it is a being that is not worthy of worship, as it is bound by egotism and human-like emotions that are unfitting of any form of transcendental divinity.

However, I believe that anyone who worships with love, is worshipping God, anyway. The form in mind just appeals to the person.
That, and I don't think it needs to be proven wrong. I believe what I believe because it matches up with my experiences.