1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protests in France Against New Anti-COVID Measures, Amid Apparent Majority Approval

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Debater Slayer, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Debater Slayer

Debater Slayer Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,556
    Following France's new measures to curb the spread of COVID-19, thousands of people have taken to the streets to protest the new "health pass" requirement:

Of note is that despite the protests from a minority of people, including supporters of the far right and common anti-vax arguments, the majority of the French population are vaccinated and, according to multiple polls, support the new measures:

For reference, this is the outline of the requirements for the health pass:

Source of all excerpts: French protesters reject virus passes, vaccine mandate

Given that a negative COVID test result or proof of recent recovery is enough to get the health pass according to the above summary, vaccination is not even mandatory for the vast majority of people. The measures effectively only exclude people carrying the virus and ones who don't even want to have a COVID test to show a negative result.

In light of the above details, it seems to me that protesting the measures for "limiting freedom" is both an overreach and potentially a cop-out to avoid exerting relatively minimal effort to ensure the safety of others in indoor spaces as well as to ensure that the French health system doesn't get overwhelmed with new COVID cases, leading to more loss of life.

What are your thoughts on the measures, yourself?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Rival's Creepy Uncle
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +69,673
    Religion:
    Atheist
    As I'd expect, there's a certain kind of human in
    every country. We just notice our own more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shakeel

Shakeel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Religion:
    Islam
    Niqabs are still illegal, right? - for security reasons...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Ratings:
    +5,668
    But, those who don't wish to become vaccinated, would have to be tested at the door of all these different places, before entering? You can test negative today, and then positive tomorrow, so I'm not sure how the testing will work. That part sounds like it wouldn't run smoothly.

5. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,135
    Religion:
    Spiritual but not religious
    They sound reasonable to me.

I don't know how they got 160,000 to oppose the measures.

6. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,995
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    I have a different opinion on this

But I know that 90% on RF get extremely irritated when someone has a different opinion on this subject, I see no use to give my opinion. Clearly Freedom of Speech and respect other people's their opinion has gone since Covid entered the stage (esp. under Atheists on RF I noticed this)

7. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,995
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Interesting point

It's very clear to me, where we are heading with all of this

8. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Meghalayan Ape

Ratings:
    +8,261
    On a related... here in the UK the Costa Coffee chain require customers to be able to show they have been vaccinated. The funny thing is anti-vaxxers are screaming "Boycott Costa." So let me think this one through...they're going to boycott somewhere that they wouldn't be allowed in anyway. Carry on, I'll be having a coffee knowing I'm not sitting next to any covidiots.

9. Meow Mix

Meow Mix Chatte Féministe

Ratings:
    +6,167
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    Sometimes hijab too! They don't even pretend it's for security very hard. I found those bans extremely gross.