• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protester slaps French President Macron

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm not doubting you, but this seems like the sort of story I'd tell after a few beers when working in Sweden. Sometime soon after they express surprise that I have a pet dog, rather than a kangaroo.

Exclaims
You have a pet dog!!!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not doubting you, but this seems like the sort of story I'd tell after a few beers when working in Sweden. Sometime soon after they express surprise that I have a pet dog, rather than a kangaroo.
Mate that was legit my thought process when I witnessed said event
I think my exact thoughts were something along the lines of
“Blimey! No one is gonna believe me, irregardless of how many wines I down!”

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I've driven in a few countries, and Australia would be kinda low on my list. It's pretty well organised here (less scary than some of the Asian countries) but considering how well organised the roads are, we have too many rude, pushy drivers.

I preferred driving in Germany, once I was used to it.

I have driven in Germany too,no matter how “well organised” the roads are there’s always going to be a dickwad imo.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Mate that was legit my thought process when I witnessed said event
I think my exact thoughts were something along the lines of
“Blimey! No one is gonna believe me, irregardless of how many wines I down!”

Haha...

When I was in Sweden, I found out they were mildly disappointed in my accent, as I didn't sound Aussie enough.

So I had to put on a few 'strewths' and 'fair dinkums' to keep them happy.

I actually talk in a very Aussie way, but my accent is pretty mild. Got mistaken for a Kiwi when living in New Zealand and when I asked if I sounded like a local, they basically said 'Not really, but you don't NOT sound like a local, and you use the right slang, so...'

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Haha...

When I was in Sweden, I found out they were mildly disappointed in my accent, as I didn't sound Aussie enough.

Really? When I visited relies in California, they all commented on how strong my Aussie accent was. I think I added some “bloody” and “mate” adjectives a lot more than I usually do, just out of instinct lol
I actually talk in a very Aussie way, but my accent is pretty mild. Got mistaken for a Kiwi when living in New Zealand and when I asked if I sounded like a local, they basically said 'Not really, but you don't NOT sound like a local, and you use the right slang, so...'
Ahh so you’re secretly a bloody Kiwi!!! Eh?

Nah but I used to think my accent was mild but apparently not lol. I mean I suppose I grew up around “true blue” tradies so I guess that makes a strange amount of sense lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have driven in Germany too,no matter how “well organised” the roads are there’s always going to be a dickwad imo.

Oh yes, no doubt.
But here's a simple example of what I mean by 'organised'...

German cars (and slot of Euro cars more generally) have a lot of driver assistance tech, including cruise. Some Euro cars (VW group, at the very least) automatically disable cruise if you overtake on the inside lane. Based on autobahn driving in Germany, that makes sense. People are pretty disciplined at shifting lanes based on speed.

But people in Australia complained about the functionality or literally thought it was an electronic fault with their cars because people shift lanes and overtake all over the place, despite us nominally having the same rules in terms of staying left (or right for the Germans).

German driver training is also much better than Australian.

I think the idiot factor is probably pretty similar everywhere.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Really? When I visited relies in California, they all commented on how strong my Aussie accent was. I think I added some “bloody” and “mate” adjectives a lot more than I usually do, just out of instinct lol

Ahh so you’re secretly a bloody Kiwi!!! Eh?

Nah but I used to think my accent was mild but apparently not lol. I mean I suppose I grew up around “true blue” tradies so I guess that makes a strange amount of sense lol

Lived and worked more than a year in Papua New Guinea.
Lived and worked about 2 and a half years in New Zealand.
Lived and worked a couple of months in Sweden.

All quite different experiences...lol

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Haha...

I've never heard of "strewths" or "fair dinkums" before. I'm going to pretend it's vulgar slang.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never heard of "strewths" or "fair dinkums" before. I'm going to pretend it's vulgar slang.

Heh...nah.
It's more just old school Aussie.

Strewth is an expression of surprise, kinda like 'Really?!'

'Yeah, so me missus ran off with the neighbour...'
'Strewth, mate...'

Fair dinkum can almost work in the same context, but it's something like 'truly', either as a question or statement.

'I just won a pineapple on the gee-gees...'
'Fair Dinkum?'
'Yep'.
'Must be your shout then mate...'

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"..but it is a dingo, however."

There is a lady who lives near me with pet dingos. She takes them for a walk up our street, and I've sat next to her at the local cafe a few times (with her dingoes).

Pretty sure you need a special licence to keep them, and hers are beautiful animals.

JIMMY12345

A female protester slaps French President Macron.

A man who appeared to be accompanying the woman proclaimed "Montjoie Saint Denis", a French army battle cry from the past.

This is not the first time Macron has been slapped in the face. In 2019 and again in 2021 he was slapped.
Good thing President Macron is not a masochist and the lady is not a sadist.As my old Physics teacher would have said they might be both there all day.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Im not from France but i live here and have seen it happen. A woman was cut up at a rounderbout by a guy in an open top sports car. A set of traffic lights a little further on stopped the sports car. The woman drove up behind him, calmly got out of her car, walked up to the offending driver, slapped his face and returned to her car.

I guess it's less destructive than spreading someone's nose all ovee their face.
Heck, in the US someone could be shot for that. Road rage is bad here. In Canada, the driver would probably have said, "You're a poopyhead, sir" and got back in the car.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
Having French ancestry, I can verify that this is one of the highest compliments one can ever hope to receive.