• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protest in Michigan Today Over Lockdown

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It is a relievingly good thing that expert decisions and countrywide policies are usually not decided by fringe minorities with misinformed, dangerously irresponsible impulses. If medical experts decide that a country should be locked down for months, chances are it will be--at least partially. This is a great thing.

exchemist

Veteran Member
And some deluded fools have suggested an 18 month national lockdown would work. HAHAHAHA!:tearsofjoy:

Upset with Gov. Whitmer, protesters bring Lansing to a halt during 'Operation Gridlock'
You seem obsessed with tilting at this particular windmill.

I repeat what I said to you on the previous thread you started about this: nobody, in any government across the globe, is contemplating keeping the current lockdown in force for 18 months.

You speak of "some deluded fools". So far you have provided evidence of only one person suggesting this. Have you evidence of any more?

Terry Sampson

nobody, in any government across the globe, is contemplating keeping the current lockdown in force for 18 months.
Actually, ... that's not quite accurate. Formation of an RF militia is currently underway, the specific purpose of which will be to identify, locate, and arrest individuals violating strict lockdown rules (to be described soon). In advance of finalization of militia formation and said rules, a special operations team of theist volunteers is on its way to Hubert's residence even as I post this message, and if all goes well, he should be in a straight-jacket in solitary confinement by sundown.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Oh, what horror there is because they have a governor that wants to protect people. How glorious it is that there are those who are willing to get sick and perhaps die for the sake of the economy (super rich).

Shad

Veteran Member
It is a relievingly good thing that expert decisions and countrywide policies are usually not decided by fringe minorities with misinformed, dangerously irresponsible impulses. If medical experts decide that a country should be locked down for months, chances are it will be--at least partially. This is a great thing.

Doctors do not need to consider the economy nor economic related issues. Ergo that is why they do not decide anything in government at this scale. They are confined to expertise that is narrow that blinds them to other issues. That is the problem of talking a narrow expertise as if were informed about large issues.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Doctors do not need to consider the economy nor economic related issues. Ergo that is why they do not decide anything in government at this scale. They are confined to expertise that is narrow that blinds them to other issues.

There is a lot to be said about managing the scales to maximize a population's well-being without putting their lives in danger whether due to poverty or disease. However, when specific response scenarios only focus on one or the other--in this case, focusing on the economy and ignoring widespread infection--what good are they? More specifically, what good is a robust economy if millions of people die to maintain it (and then unintentionally damage the economy anyway because a pandemic inevitably ends up disrupting the workforce)?

Rational Agnostic

Actually, ... that's not quite accurate. Formation of an RF militia is currently underway, the specific purpose of which will be to identify, locate, and arrest individuals violating strict lockdown rules (to be described soon). In advance of finalization of militia formation and said rules, a special operations team of theist volunteers is on its way to Hubert's residence even as I post this message, and if all goes well, he should be in a straight-jacket in solitary confinement by sundown.

Now that IS funny

Rational Agnostic

There is a lot to be said about managing the scales to maximize a population's well-being without putting their lives in danger whether due to poverty or disease. However, when specific response scenarios only focus on one or the other--in this case, focusing on the economy and ignoring widespread infection--what good are they? More specifically, what good is a robust economy if millions of people die to maintain it (and then unintentionally damage the economy anyway because a pandemic inevitably ends up disrupting the workforce)?

We can bring the economy back while still being smart about COVID. It's not all-or-nothing. An 18 month lockdown would be disastrous.

Rational Agnostic

I repeat what I said to you on the previous thread you started about this: nobody, in any government across the globe, is contemplating keeping the current lockdown in force for 18 months.

You speak of "some deluded fools". So far you have provided evidence of only one person suggesting this. Have you evidence of any more?

Here is another:

America should brace itself for 18 MONTHS of shutdowns as economy faces 'long road' to recovery | Daily Mail Online

Shad

Veteran Member
There is a lot to be said about managing the scales to maximize a population's well-being without putting their lives in danger whether due to poverty or disease.

Government's job is not to maximize well-being of the citizens at all because there is the human factor.

However, when specific response scenarios only focus on one or the other--in this case, focusing on the economy and ignoring widespread infection--what good are they?

And vice-versa. There is going to be a point in which the majority of the population is not at risk thus a lockdown is an extreme measure on a national or state scale. Especially when the States need the Fed to print aid money.

More specifically, what good is a robust economy if millions of people die to maintain it (and then unintentionally damage the economy anyway because a pandemic inevitably ends up disrupting the workforce)?

An economic collapse can result in millions dead too. Pick your poison. 18 months of a lockdown will result in riots and starvation if not worse.

Rational Agnostic

Just to add. I think having a protest is such a form as per the article is a bit silly.

It shows that we'd better have an exit strategy for this lockdown. People are fed up with it already, and concerned (justifiably) about providing for themselves and their families. Besides, who decides what workers get the privilege of being "essential" anyway? Marijuana dispensaries, furniture stores, and landscapers are allowed to work, but many factory and assembly line workers aren't. I think these asinine rules should be protested.

Shad

Veteran Member
It shows that we'd better have an exit strategy for this lockdown.

The problem is Fed vs State in that quarantines are within state powers. Any state can act of it's own accord while the Fed has zero power in this issue. It can not order to state to open. This conflict would have to resolved by SCOTUS which means time wasted. So there can be a situation in which X amount of states open while X stay closed with no quick resolution with a legal frame work. Toss in states already implementing different plans already so there is a disconnect. Add that there is political points to score as it is an election year for POTUS and Congress (hence why Dem voter pandering).

Compared the government bickering to say Canada. Parliament granted the PM temporary power of government that is in Parliament's control like spending. Neither the PM nor the Ministry of Finance need Parliament to pass COVID related spending There is no way the USA would grant Trump that power to create a federal plan power behind it. The USA can not even stop bickering to inject new funding into law they already passed.

People are fed up with it already, and concerned (justifiably) about providing for themselves and their families. Besides, who decides what workers get the privilege of being "essential" anyway?

The non-essential government employees decide that. Ironic isn't it?

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Last night the banner headline (tis gone now) on nytimes.com was that the current measures, or something like them, could last until 2022 !! No that was not an official government position but I could see how it could freak someone out, especially someone already really hurting financially.

Rational Agnostic

And where did you get the "18 month" thingy? Not from Whitmer as the e.o. only applies until May 1 unless it gets extended, which it hasn't thus far at least.

Ezekiel Emmanuel, one of the chief founders of ObamaCare, as well as one of the heads of the Federal Reserve. I also read a Time Magazine article stating that many scientists are calling for it. As a result, I imagine it won't be long until it is discussed as possible public policy.

Fact is, doctors should not determine public policy, as they are not public policy experts. They mean well, but they don't understand economics or social behavior well enough to understand the catastrophic ramifications of an attempt at such a sustained lockdown (who pays all of the bills for hundreds of millions of Americans out of work for 18 months?! A ****ing $1200 check sure isn't going to cut it!).

So, will an 18 month lockdown be attempted? I'm in agreement with others that this is highly unlikely. Could it happen? Absolutely. Our govt sent Japanese Americans to prison camps less than a century ago. Our govt is not immune to irrational and destructive policies. So, yeah, I'm concerned about this, because if it's attempted, we will be looking at nothing short of the complete collapse of civilization. And seemingly otherwise reasonable and intelligent people, including those like @Debater Slayer, @sun rise and @ADigitalArtist actually can't understand this. I am flabbergasted by it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is no fringe resistance. Very many ordinary folk I know here in
Michiganistan are resisting the governor's ridiculous policies.
And the protest is bringing change....just today, forestry product
manufacturers & sellers are now legally able to conduct business.
This, & the sales tax revenue are bringing her to reality, & away
from policies which make no sense, eg, allowing buying state
lottery tickets, but not buying plants or seeds for veggie gardens.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh, what horror there is because they have a governor that wants to protect people. How glorious it is that there are those who are willing to get sick and perhaps die for the sake of the economy (super rich).
I just heard on NPR that your governor is planning to loosen restrictions.
Our governor could learn from yours then.
She's earning the nickname "Gretchen Half-Whitmer" for her conflicting
policies & heavy handed enforcement, eg, spendy tickets for getting
caught buying "non-essential" things like hardware. But state lottery
tickets & booze are deemed "essential".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm converting some of my frubals into full auto hollowpoint frubals.
Come'm get me, Mr Charlie!