• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prosperity Gospel?

tas8831

I have, over the course of the past couple of years, encountered some folks that, to me, appear to have very non-biblical views of social issues.
For one, I have seen a number of people claiming to be 'bible believing Christians' claim that we do not have to 'love our neighbors', or 'turn the other cheek', etc., as those were things that only the ancient Hebrews had to deal with.
Is there a biblical basis for this belief?

The other has to do with wealth and the pursuit of wealth (hence the thread title) - I have seen many Christians write or heard them claim that God WANTS you to be rich (or words to that effect).

I am no bible scholar, or even a Christian for that matter, but this seems to utterly negate such a position:

Matthew 19

16Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18“Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Are the Prosperity Gospel folks right - that the above only applied to Hebrews in ancient times?

If so, does anyone know of the context that demonstrates this?

Terry Sampson

@paarsurrey "Ask him to try a camel passing through the eye of a needle, please."

LOL!

Eye of a needle - Wikipedia
"The term "eye of a needle" is used as a metaphor for a very narrow opening. It occurs several times throughout the Talmud. The New Testament quotes Jesus as saying that "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God".

Go and ask Allah what He meant by His nonsense in Al A'raf, Surah 7:40.

Screenshot_2019-11-22 Surah Al-A'raf [7 40].png

"It easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle" = "When hell freezes over" = "Never"

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have, over the course of the past couple of years, encountered some folks that, to me, appear to have very non-biblical views of social issues.
For one, I have seen a number of people claiming to be 'bible believing Christians' claim that we do not have to 'love our neighbors', or 'turn the other cheek', etc., as those were things that only the ancient Hebrews had to deal with.

The other has to do with wealth and the pursuit of wealth (hence the thread title) - I have seen many Christians write or heard them claim that God WANTS you to be rich (or words to that effect).

I am no bible scholar, or even a Christian for that matter, but this seems to utterly negate such a position:

Matthew 19

16Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Are the Prosperity Gospel folks right - that the above only applied to Hebrews in ancient times?

It never was a religion in the first place.

It's a mafia-style racket.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Anyone can pull various quotes out of scripture to justify anything they want to justify. The question is not a few quotes but the sum of the message as reflected in many many different places.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Matthew 19

Of course not. It is counter to the whole message of the gospels, which are - as you illustrate- replete with stories and imagery about people poor in this life, but with faith, being rewarded in the next and of rich people being asked to give up their possessions.

It is a complete corruption of Christianity, based on two things: first, providing a spurious justification for comfortable people to congratulate themselves and to disdain those less fortunate (if they are poor it must be because of some moral failing, you see), and second, a spurious hope for poor people that by following the practices of these preachers - which often involve donating some of the little they have to the preacher (who being "virtuous" is already rich of course) - they will themselves become rich.

So it corrodes the duty to look after one's neighbour and it encourages preoccupation with money. It is evil.

...Are the Prosperity Gospel folks right - that the above only applied to Hebrews in ancient times?

I think the teachings of Jesus are for all disciples of Jesus (=”Christians”), in all times, because:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Probably many who call themselves “Christian” are not really. But prosperity is not necessarily wrong, because:

He said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, don't be anxious for your life, what you will eat, nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they don't sow, they don't reap, they have no warehouse or barn, and God feeds them. How much more valuable are you than birds! Which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his height? If then you aren't able to do even the least things, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow. They don't toil, neither do they spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if this is how God clothes the grass in the field, which today exists, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith? Don't seek what you will eat or what you will drink; neither be anxious. For the nations of the world seek after all of these things, but your Father knows that you need these things. But seek God's Kingdom, and all these things will be added to you.
Luke 12:22-31

Also “Christian” can have many nice things, but the order of values should be correct. People should understand also this:

"Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consume, and where thieves don't break through and steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matt. 6:19-21

tas8831

@paarsurrey "Ask him to try a camel passing through the eye of a needle, please."

LOL!

Eye of a needle - Wikipedia
"The term "eye of a needle" is used as a metaphor for a very narrow opening. It occurs several times throughout the Talmud. The New Testament quotes Jesus as saying that "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God".

Go and ask Allah what He meant by His nonsense in Al A'raf, Surah 7:40.

View attachment 34574

"It easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle" = "When hell freezes over" = "Never"

Right - so I guess those like Joel Osteen are going to Hell.

tas8831

Anyone can pull various quotes out of scripture to justify anything they want to justify. The question is not a few quotes but the sum of the message as reflected in many many different places.
And so - is the pursuit of wealth while the poor suffer a Christian teaching or not?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And so - is the pursuit of wealth while the poor suffer a Christian teaching or not?
Not to me. I don't take any scripture including the Bible as inerrant. But I do feel that while scriptures are not the truth, they contain the truth. And the truth is what is expressed by all major religions and ethical systems albeit in different words.

And to me that truth is that we are enjoined to offer a hand to our poor brothers and sisters.