• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proselytizing: What is it and is it a good or bad thing?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's unreasonable to expect people to understand you. Everyone has their own set of experiences from which they derived their understanding of the world. I don't understand why you are a Baha'i for example, and I'm fine with not understanding. You may claim that you understand me, but I would maintain you don't, as experience is such a diverse teacher.

However, I do think it's important we respect each other, at the core, as divinity at the core is a belief I have. As for the external ego, the personality, not so much. Hard to respect a rapist, or for me, a proselytiser.
I agree it would be unrealistic for everyone to understand me and that’s not what I said or meant. However, we are all human and share that experience regardless of our faith. If we tried to see each other as people and moved beyond labels we would feel less need to convert others or proselytise.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree it would be unrealistic for everyone to understand me and that’s not what I said or meant. However, we are all human and share that experience regardless of our faith. If we tried to see each other as people and moved beyond labels we would feel less need to convert others or proselytise.

Sorry I misunderstood this then.

"Whatever we’re going through we just want to be heard and understood."

I think over-identification with one's faith hinders the human aspect. For example, I find it far more interesting that you're from New Zealand, or that you're a doctor, than I do that you're a Baha'i. Pretty tough to see a fellow human in much of a holistic way if they ONLY thing you know about them is what religion they are.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry I misunderstood this then.

"Whatever we’re going through we just want to be heard and understood."

I think over-identification with one's faith hinders the human aspect. For example, I find it far more interesting that you're from New Zealand, or that you're a doctor, than I do that you're a Baha'i. Pretty tough to see a fellow human in much of a holistic way if they ONLY thing you know about them is what religion they are.

I see you as a retired school teacher whose married to boss with 5 grown up children living in Canada. I like your thoughtfulness, wisdom and even your sarcasm. I really like Hinduism. I know you have no interest in changing your faith and you really dislike aspects of the Abrahamic Faiths. From my end its all good.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Baha’is will teach our faith to those who are interested and if there’s no interest that’s fine.
Same here. We do search for people, though. If possible, and in a mild way, we try to overcome objections, so the person will accurately know what he is turning down. As you said yourself, our teaching is different than mainstream.
If someone wants to join our faith as they share our beliefs we assist them on that journey
Definitely!

However we associate with peoples of all faiths in a spirit of love and fellowship. It doesn’t matter if someone isn’t interested in our faith or not.
We do, too. However, our closest friends will usually be other JW's...we put effort into controlling our speech, i.e., not cussing; we may drink alcohol but never get drunk; we strive to avoid immoral entertainment; we don't get involved with politics. If we associated closely with those who did these things, it would make adhering to our principles more difficult. We do love people, though.... Everyone's our cousin, in our pov.

We avoid pressure, coercion or manipulation
Same here. Jesus set the example, and he never did. His personality and teaching drew people (Matthew 11:28-30).

We like to discuss matters of a spiritual matter.

Same here...do we ever!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I know you have no interest in changing your faith and you really dislike aspects of the Abrahamic Faiths. From my end its all good.
so.....you condone disliking someone else's faith
and it's good to post as much

glad to hear it

there are a LOT of statements in faith.....that I don't like
and believe it needful to point out why

not that I care to change someone else's belief

BUT
if you post what you believe and the next guy has good reason to knock it down
someone
has to change his mind

such is the risk of debate

note my signature

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
My point was that some Christians are used to proselytizing (JW’s, for sure) because it’s a command of Jesus that they’re used to. It might be hard to refrain from it.... but they should refrain from it on here, since it’s part of the rules.
And following rules is even a good thing, imagine that the Sun decided to not follow it's orbit today; all our rules might be frozen.

because it’s a command of Jesus that they’re used to
So, that is your opinion. Interesting. My opinion is, that the diciples who met Jesus were told to go around and spread the word. They allegedly (according to the Bible) heard it first hand; no hearsay possible. That kind of makes sense to me. But your interpretation might be good as well. So mabye one day Jesus will tell us what He really meant (maybe He even did not meant it to be 1 interpretation in the first place).

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Where I live Jehovahs Witnesses knock the doors from time to time. They seem to do it more as a duty than with any expectation of converting people on the doorstep.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Where I live Jehovahs Witnesses knock the doors from time to time. They seem to do it more as a duty than with any expectation of converting people on the doorstep.
I believe, but I could be wrong, that is is a duty, prescribed, as part of the organisation's rules. In other proselytising faiths it's just 'strongly encouraged' with lots of subtle or direct emotional pressure.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
My point was that some Christians are used to proselytizing (JW’s, for sure) because it’s a command of Jesus that they’re used to

Hey, hope you are doing well.

If you’ll note, I said “some Christians.”

Take care.
Thank you, I am doing fine. Hope you are doing fine too.

Yes that's true, you said "some". But you phrased it a bit tricky, hence I misread it. You said "some Christians are used to proselytizing". AND then you added "(JW's, for sure)". That got me on the wrong foot. If you had not added (JW's, for sure), it would not have crossed my mind:D.

I visited quite a few times JW in Holland (and they came to my house, and we talked about the Bible; like 16 times). And I went to one of those Big Meetings, where 6000 JW members were present. I think there are not many spiritual groups who are so sincere and committed (that is one of the good things I never forget). They gave me the impression that all members think a bit similar. It's not like there are all kind of denominations within the JW group I thought.

So "some Christians"; I got it wrong? You do not belong to this "some" group who think "proselytizing ... a command of Jesus that they're used to?"

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe in privacy. I’m a very private person and religion is a very personal affair. So when a door knocker comes, I inform them I’m about to sacrifice a goat to Satan.

I’m kidding of course. I only ever use lambs.

I believe desiring privacy is acceptable but rudeness to those coming to your door is an improper reaction.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I suppose it depends on who you ask.

It's when a more experienced in theology religious person decides they want to train you up in their views, sometimes offering a reward at the end of it all to keep you going, like being admitted into the group or a position of leadership in the faith.

I believe of course that no-one can teach something they don't believe in. The problem comes when someone decides you have to fit the mold or you don't qualify to be part of his group.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe desiring privacy is acceptable but rudeness to those coming to your door is an improper reaction.
I’m never rude. Sarcastic maybe. Hungover, perhaps. But never rude. I always offer them a drink and something to eat. Not my fault if they take me the wrong way
:shrug:

amorphous_constellation

I would think that proselytizing and speaking with conviction are two different things, though perhaps the latter might be seen as a sort of doorway to the former. Therefore, I wonder if it kind of gives agnostics a free space here, since statements lacking conviction are their specialty, and hence, they can get away with sneak preaching. If a read a series of amorphous and unsure paragraphs regarding the ontology of an agnostic, and they are well constructed, how do we reason that this is not in fact an effort at proselytizing.