• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros and cons of Catholicism.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have come to that conclusion.

My point was simply this... it appears that you are saying "I am not interested in this belief system and that belief system because they are conservative or because they don't match what I want to believe.

My approach is more along the lines of "I believe in this faith because of its tenants and reasons for them, therefore I will change my belief system and conform to the God it represents". I'm not saying you have to have my faith... whether it is Buddhism, Hinduism or whatever... then I adapt to its standards because of the faith that I subscribe to.

I would think that my position is more logical. But I have been wrong before.
Then obviously I have failed in subscribing to or being transformed by the beliefs of Catholicism and it is not for me.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Then obviously I have failed in subscribing to or being transformed by the beliefs of Catholicism and it is not for me.
GOT IT! I wasn't changed either by the beliefs of Catholicism (attending for 8 years). It is belief in what Jesus and His word said that changed me. "All things are possible for him that believes" is what He said. :)

Let me say it in other words... I stood up, sat down, kneeled, stood up, sat down and kneeled but not once did I have to open the word of life in scriptures.

If His word is what cleanses and builds faith, how could I change when I never needed to open the words of life?

May He continue to guide you into all truth that is based on love and not condemnation.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
More like, "Whose listening?"
I am.
What I hear is you and @Servant_of_the_One1 and @Musing Bassist and @Tumah and that's just a few of the Abrahamic religious people who happen to post on RF.
God, if He exists, keeps getting drowned out by His self described Spokesmen.
At least, that is my experience. I believe in God. He just can't get a word in edgewise because of all these humans who feel a burning need to talk for Him.
Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
GOT IT! I wasn't changed either by the beliefs of Catholicism (attending for 8 years). It is belief in what Jesus and His word said that changed me. "All things are possible for him that believes" is what He said. :)

Let me say it in other words... I stood up, sat down, kneeled, stood up, sat down and kneeled but not once did I have to open the word of life in scriptures.

If His word is what cleanses and builds faith, how could I change when I never needed to open the words of life?

May He continue to guide you into all truth that is based on love and not condemnation.
I don't worship the Abrahamic deity anymore, though.

Kenny

Premium Member
I am.
What I hear is you and @Servant_of_the_One1 and @Musing Bassist and @Tumah and that's just a few of the Abrahamic religious people who happen to post on RF.
At least, that is my experience. I believe in God. He just can't get a word in edgewise because of all these humans who feel a burning need to talk for Him.
Tom
ROFL - Then just read the scriptures and ask Him to speak directly to you through His word.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The question is just fine as it is. See, the problem is someone is following their conscience - what could very well be your god talking to them - but that doesn't fit your biases. So you try to persuade them differently. Not to your god's will, but to yours. You're talking, not your god.

Kenny

Premium Member
The question is just fine as it is. See, the problem is someone is following their conscience - what could very well be your god talking to them - but that doesn't fit your biases. So you try to persuade them differently. Not to your god's will, but to yours. You're talking, not your god.
Then you have misunderstood what I was saying completely. (not that I have any biases :D )

So to weed through your bias:

I was speaking to him as a Catholic... therefore from Christian to Christian in Christian terms and in Christian understanding. It is according to scripture which is my bias.

HOWEVER, now that he has clearly stated that he isn't following Abrahamic faiths any more, I have finished adding any input. The case is closed because of his decision.

Kenny

Premium Member
I understood you just fine, ken. What is actually happening remains the same, despite your attempt to mysticise it.
Actually, I disagree although I understand that you are looking at it though your particular lenses so it is right for you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I went to Mass this morning to honor my grandmother. While there, it was interesting as I observe everything that is supposed to be "bad" I experienced the opposite. So, as we are kneeling and standing, the homily came. The priest gave a talk about "how to hear god's voice." Basically, do we take the time to listen to god talking and how do we take the time. Well, for me, I was translating it as how the spirits can listen to me and how can I listen to them. He continues that of course god doesn't talk through an audible voice. Rather instead of playing with our phones and spending too much time with our children take some time and be at service for the lord.

He says it's alright to give money to the church but he says "that's the easy way out." What he said was instead do charity work. Teach others, give your time and skill (that's what it was), time and skill for others. "You may not know what you are good at but as long as you can take what you know and give it to others that's the work of christ moving through you."

That's how you "hear god" is through the body of christ.

If anyone is asking how they can hear god or even understand the nature of the church, that's basically it. What I took from it was that my grandmother was with me and telling me this message. I don't have a personal relationship with christ. I don't know the dude and he's not even an ancestor to me. However, christ just means anointed and the body of christ is the people. So basically, christians are anointed people acting in service in the name of christ.

Anyway, had to share that.

Cheerios!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am.
Tom

What would happen, you think, if no one talked about god anymore? If they did what they did in the novel Fahrenheit 451 and arrest people for keeping books in their home. You think god would still exist?

Kenny

Premium Member
What would happen, you think, if no one talked about god anymore? If they did what they did in the novel Fahrenheit 451 and arrest people for keeping books in their home. You think god would still exist?
I do. :D