• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros and cons of attempts at perceiving many or all religions as pointing to the same conclusions

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
What is it that we should be trying to quantify?
If there are metaphysical places that exists, with quantifiable quantum structuring; we should gather all information about it together, and try to rationally find a theory that fits all.
because their concept God simply can't do that.
Unfortunately there are many people with their own limited views on their personal God, and then there is logical deduction based on all information available to us.

Some people are just arrogant, and refuse to change from their preconceived notions; even when rational explanations that can fit with all concepts are available.

Think some of us seem to be asserting what they know, and some are questioning what we all know, to come to a logical conclusion between us. :innocent:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If there are metaphysical places that exists, with quantifiable quantum structuring; we should gather all information about it together, and try to rationally find a theory that fits all.
For the record, I have no idea of what that means.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Me neither.

But the more I 'discuss' (it's never really much of a discussion) with people of Abrahamic paradigm, or universalist paradigm, the more I think that gender is a useful analogy for the differences.
Men are as different from women, as Dharmic is from Abrahamic. Can any man truly understand what it's like to give birth to a child? (Amazingly, I once met a man who claimed he could ... the height of arrogance!) The universalist in this analogy just says that men and women are the same.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If there is a Heaven and a Hell, and many people have seen it within NDEs throughout history, numerous religions discuss it, etc, then why not collect all data to make a clearer understanding between all religious texts.
Men are as different from women, as Dharmic is from Abrahamic.
This is where already started referencing similarities; yet you're not interested in understanding.
The universalist in this analogy just says that men and women are the same.
Men and women have clear differences; yet certain aspects are the same....

Only someone who isn't interested in understanding the differences, would make such vague statements, and not met anyone like that yet.... :rolleyes:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If there is a Heaven and a Hell, and many people have seen it within NDEs throughout history, numerous religions discuss it, etc, then why not collect all data to make a clearer understanding between all religious texts.
Personally, I just don't think that is a subject matter of any interest. Speculative as heck, and of little or no constructive use that I can see.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Post 31
LuisDantas said:
I am willing to bet that there are lots of interesting stories about how your two faiths relate to each other. While Hinduism and Islam are almost completely at odds with each other, Ahmadiyyas and Bahais seem to be too much alike to confortably coexist.

Peace be on you both.
So "@" worked and even without a PM, here is what you asked for:

1= Ahmadiyya Muslims believe and testify the proclamation
La ilaha illallaho muhammad ur rasoolullah (There is none worthy of worship except Allah Muhammad is His Messenger)

Bahais do not have it.

@arthra if I've made any errors, feel more than free to correct me.

As Bahá’ís, I believe, we wouldn't have an issue with affirming this (at least, at face value). However, considering the deeper implications of such an affirmation, namely, that Muhammad (pbuh) is the final Messenger, that Islaam is the final Religion of God, and that the Qur’an is the final Book from God, there would very much be disagreement, as we are not Muslims. In the end, Bahá’ís we don't belittle Islam or Muslims or the Qur'an (we never will). We believe that Islam is a Revealed Religion from God, and the Qur’an as His Word (though written in a different day and age, and to a different audience). We revere the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as one of the Messengers of God, and Muslims as a People of God, Lovers of God! In fact, one of the things the Guardian – Shoghi Effendi – gave us as a mission is to help educate people about Islam, working to dispel the misconceptions about it, the Qur'an, and the Prophet Muhammad.

Here is an article about the Bahá’í perspective on Islam by Abir Majid:

http://bahai-library.com/bic_islam_bahai_faith

2=Ahmadiyya Muslims believe Holy Quran is the last Book.

Bahais have Kitab Aqdas as last Book.

While the Kitáb-i-Aqdas is Sacred Scripture for Bahá’ís, Bahá’u’lláh had penned a very voluminous body of works, all of which are Sacred Scripture. Plus, the Writings of His Predecessor, The Báb; those of His Sucessors, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, then Shoghi Effendi; and those of the Universal House of Justice are also considered authoritative.

The body of Scriptures, as well as other authoritative works, can be viewed here:

http://www.bahai.org/library/

3= Ahmadiyya Muslim believe and act in basic Islamic creed Five daily Prayers (Salaat), Ramadahn Fasting, pay Zakat. Hajj (pilgrimage). They follow Allah and Holy Prophet Muhammad ohammad (pbuh).

Bahais have not these things.

Actually, we do, Dawud.

- Daily Prayers: one of the obligatory prayers (short, medium, long), said at, I think, dawn and sunset. Here is an excerpt from a Wikipedia article about the Obligatory Prayers. Does some of this sound familiar to you, Dawud? :

Practices
There are certain practices that must be associated with the saying of the obligatory prayers. They include performing ablution, which consist of washing the hands and face, before the obligatory prayer. In the case that water is unavailable, or its use harmful to the face or hands, the verse "In the Name of God, the Most Pure, the Most Pure" should be repeated five times. The prayer should be said while the reader is facing the Qiblih which is the Shrine of Bahá'u'lláh. It is also preferable for the reader to be standing while saying the obligatory prayers in an attitude of humble reverence. Bahá'í's are also obliged to repeat the Greatest Name (Alláh-u-Abhá) 95 times a day while sitting and facing the Qiblih. Ablutions are also prescribed for this, but it is not necessary to do them again if the repetitions are done right after the daily obligatory prayer.

Exemptions
Exemptions from saying the obligatory prayer include:

• Children under the age of 15.
  • Those that are of ill-health.
  • Those that are older than 70.
  • Women who are menstruating are exempt from saying their obligatory prayer. They should instead perform their ablutions and repeat the verse "Glorified be God, the Lord of Splendour and Beauty" ninety-five times.
Missed prayers
In the case of a missed prayer due to insecurity such as during travel, each missed prayer can be compensated for by the repetition of certain verses and movements. The person should perform a single prostration (laying the forehead on any clean surface) in the place of each unsaid obligatory prayer and the prostrations should be performed while saying the verse "Glorified be God, the Lord of Might and Majesty, of Grace and Bounty." The prostrations should then be followed by saying the verse "Glorified be God, the Lord of the kingdoms of earth and heaven" eighteen times while the person is sitting cross-legged.

- Fasting: During the month of Alá, which is from March 2 to March 20, we fast, pray, meditate, and rejuvenate our souls for the new year on March 21. Bahá’u’lláh had revealed prayers for this time in the Bahá’í year. This is one:

This is, O my God, the first of the days on which Thou hast bidden Thy loved ones to observe the Fast. I ask of Thee by Thy Self and by him who hath fasted out of love for Thee and for Thy good-pleasure—and not out of self and desire, nor out of fear of Thy wrath—and by Thy most excellent names and august attributes, to purify Thy servants from the love of aught except Thee and to draw them nigh unto the Dawning-Place of the lights of Thy countenance and the Seat of the throne of Thy oneness. Illumine their hearts, O my God, with the light of Thy knowledge and brighten their faces with the rays of the Daystar that shineth from the horizon of Thy Will.”

- Charity: Dawud, while it not a pillar of faith, as in Islam, it is a very explicit exhortation by Bahá’u’lláh to give a portion of your earnings to the poor.

He says,

“To give and to be generous are attributes of Mine. Well is it with him that adorneth himself with My virtues.”

and

“Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity. Be worthy of the trust of thy neighbor, and look upon him with a bright and friendly face. Be a treasure to the poor, an admonisher to the rich, an answerer to the cry of the needy, a preserver of the sanctity of thy pledge. Be fair in thy judgment, and guarded in thy speech. Be unjust to no man, and show all meekness to all men. Be as a lamp unto them that walk in darkness, a joy to the sorrowful, a sea for the thirsty, a haven for the distressed, an upholder and defender of the victim of oppression. Let integrity and uprightness distinguish all thine acts. Be a home for the stranger, a balm to the suffering, a tower of strength for the fugitive. Be eyes to the blind, and a guiding light unto the feet of the erring. Be an ornament to the countenance of truth, a crown to the brow of fidelity, a pillar of the temple of righteousness, a breath of life to the body of mankind, an ensign of the hosts of justice, a luminary above the horizon of virtue, a dew to the soil of the human heart, an ark on the ocean of knowledge, a sun in the heaven of bounty, a gem on the diadem of wisdom, a shining light in the firmament of thy generation, a fruit upon the tree of humility.”

‘Abdu’l-Bahá says this

“…the honor and distinction of the individual consist in this, that he among all the world’s multitudes should become a source of social good.”

and this

“[Y]e must give forth goodly and wondrous fruits, that ye yourselves and others may profit therefrom.”

- Pilgrimage: Bahá’ís take pilgrimage to the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh in Israel, as well as to that of the Báb, which is, I believe, in Shiráz, Iran.

Finally, we believe in one God, as well, and in Bahá’u’lláh as His Messenger for this Day and Age. Though, we do not believe that he is the last Messenger (there will never, ever be a last), because truly, He promises the coming of another Messenger, though not for a very long time.

4=Ahmadiyya Muslim beleive Shariah of Islam is complete.

Bahais have their own shariat. They invalidate Islamic shariah.

That is true, at least for Bahá’ís, Shariah is not considered Law. With the coming of Bahá’u’lláh, a new set of Laws and Ordinances were created for His followers.
So, I follow His Laws and Ordinances.

5=Ahmadiyya Muslims have has 30 or 29 days in a month, and 12 months in a year. Based on lunar calendar.

Bahais have 19 days in a month and 19 months in a year, based on solar calendar.

This is absolutely true.

6=Ahmadiyya Muslim follow the marital relation as prescribed in the Holy Quran.

Bahais do not follow it (best of my knowledge, correct pls it is wrong).

Yes, we don't follow the Laws given in the Holy Qur’an, as we are not Muslims. Rather, here are a few quotes from Bahá’u’lláh and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá on marriage:

“Bahá’í marriage is the commitment of the two parties one to the other, and their mutual attachment of mind and heart. Each must, however, exercise the utmost care to become thoroughly acquainted with the character of the other, that the binding covenant between them may be a tie that will endure forever. Their purpose must be this: to become loving companions and comrades and at one with each other for time and eternity…

The true marriage of Bahá’ís is this, that husband and wife should be united both physically and spiritually, that they may ever improve the spiritual life of each other, and may enjoy everlasting unity throughout all the worlds of God. This is Bahá’í marriage.”

“And when He desired to manifest grace and beneficence to men, and to set the world in order, He revealed observances and created laws; among them He established the law of marriage, made it as a fortress for well-being and salvation, and enjoined it upon us in that which was sent down out of the heaven of sanctity in His Most Holy Book.

And:

God hath prescribed matrimony unto you...Enter into wedlock, O people, that ye may bring forth one who will make mention of Me amid My servants. This is My bidding unto you; hold fast to it as an assistance to yourselves.”

“O ye two believers in God! The Lord, peerless is He, hath made woman and man to abide with each other in the closest companionship, and to be even as a single soul. They are two helpmates, two intimate friends, who should be concerned about the welfare of each other.

If they live thus, they will pass through this world with perfect contentment, bliss, and peace of heart, and become the object of divine grace and favor in the Kingdom of heaven. But if they do other than this, they will live out their lives in great bitterness, longing at every moment for death, and will be shamefaced in the heavenly realm.

Strive, then, to abide, heart and soul, with each other as two doves in the nest, for this is to be blessed in both worlds.”

7= Ahmadiyya Muslims greet others (Ahmadis or others) by saying Assalam o alaikum, as taught by Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Bahais greet their people by saying “Abu al-bahar”.

“Alláh-u-Abhá!” is the greeting, actually.

8= Ahmadiyya Muslim name themselves Muslims (or Ahmadiyya Muslims, Jama'at Ahmadiyya Muslimah)

Bahais call themselves as Bahais.

This is, again, true.

Good wishes to all human whatever their faith is.

Peace and Blessings, Dawud! Yá Bahá’u’l-Abhá!

Last edited:

Akivah

Pros: I think there is only one Universal truth and so as all religions evolve, I see them merging to the one truth.

In point of fact, the exact opposite is true. Every religion starts with a specific founder and revelation. Later generations re-interpret the meanings and details, especially as new facts and circumstances come to be. People disagree and splits in the original religion occur. Every single religion on Earth started as one but over time has split into different branches and denominations.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So you have no line in the sand. Whatever version of Islam is the driving force for ISIS is heading to the same place? The evangelical right wing anti-gay anti-dharmic Christian sects are heading to the same place?
I see those fundamentalist groups and fundamentalist types as those stuck and not evolving.

George-ananda

Premium Member
In point of fact, the exact opposite is true. Every religion starts with a specific founder and revelation. Later generations re-interpret the meanings and details, especially as new facts and circumstances come to be. People disagree and splits in the original religion occur. Every single religion on Earth started as one but over time has split into different branches and denominations.
So do you think there is more than one ultimate truth in the universe? I see modernity with its increased thought and education moving all the reasonable religions towards that one truth.

Akivah

So do you think there is more than one ultimate truth in the universe?

I don't think the term "ultimate truth" has any value. As I said in an earlier post, each of our religions would be best used to improve ourselves, not to convince others of our own beliefs. Whatever methodology each person uses to improve themselves doesn't have to agree with another's methodology.

I see modernity with its increased thought and education moving all the reasonable religions towards that one truth.

Everyone in agreement? Where do you see that? I see the exact opposite. The internet has given everyone a voice, not just those with access to a printing press.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see those fundamentalist groups and fundamentalist types as those stuck and not evolving.

Thank you. Yes, I would agree.
I was just wondering where the line is. At the very inner levels, just as matter boils down to molecules and atoms, so too on the spiritual plane all is Brahman, even those who are 'stuck' as you put it. In a mystical sense, stuck below the muladara, or stuck in anava, bound by the triple bondage.

But that's an entirely different perspective than 'way out here on this level' in the external realm or world of relative and temporal reality. So that line between dharmaic and adharmic does shift for individuals. In my sampradaya, we use the word non-violent as a describer to more clearly delineate it. And 'violence' includes aggressive proseltysing with the object of destroying another's culture. So we say, 'we love and accept all non-violent religions, faiths, and non-religions on this planet.

Still, some people don't make the distinction between 'in there' and 'out here'.

For me personally, not always, but I generally draw the line when someone feels via arrogance that they know more than me, and therefore have the right to start informing me I'm wrong, or how to think. I just don't think anyone has the right to do that to another human being. To each his own, seriously.

Thanks George, for that clarification.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So do you think there is more than one ultimate truth in the universe? I see modernity with its increased thought and education moving all the reasonable religions towards that one truth.
I see you're quite reasonably added the word 'reasonable'.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I don't think the term "ultimate truth" has any value.
I do see an 'ultimate truth' that does have value. It is all One consciousness with the illusion of multiplicity. We are striving to find that Oneness.
As I said in an earlier post, each of our religions would be best used to improve ourselves, not to convince others of our own beliefs. Whatever methodology each person uses to improve themselves doesn't have to agree with another's methodology.
Now that I agree with. Paths are many, the goal is One.

Everyone in agreement? Where do you see that? I see the exact opposite. The internet has given everyone a voice, not just those with access to a printing press.
I see a mergence of all reasonable religions and ideologies towards what is right (over some of the ignorance of the past).[/QUOTE]

George-ananda

Premium Member
Thank you. Yes, I would agree.
I was just wondering where the line is. At the very inner levels, just as matter boils down to molecules and atoms, so too on the spiritual plane all is Brahman, even those who are 'stuck' as you put it. In a mystical sense, stuck below the muladara, or stuck in anava, bound by the triple bondage.
Remember, being stuck is only temporary.

Thanks George, for that clarification.
I appreciate the 'thanks'.:)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Now that I agree with. Paths are many, the goal is One.

Although it may seem that way to you, if you ask the adherents of various faiths what the goal of their religion is, you'll get differing answers. It becomes the classic, heaven versus moksha discrepancy. People on both sides (Abrahamic as well as Dharmic) have said they are the same thing. The Abrahamics, in my opinion, project onto heaven, changing the definition of moksha (through false translations) whilst the Dharmics who wish to, change 'heaven' to mean nothing close to what it was. In any non-diual philosophy like advaita, moksha results from a total merge with god, and annilation of the individual 'I'. In dvaita schools it is closer to Abrahamism, as 'in the company of God' is closer to the Christian idea. Still, aspects like physical resurrection don't come up anywhere in Hindusm as far as I know.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Although it may seem that way to you, if you ask the adherents of various faiths what the goal of their religion is, you'll get differing answers. It becomes the classic, heaven versus moksha discrepancy. People on both sides (Abrahamic as well as Dharmic) have said they are the same thing. The Abrahamics, in my opinion, project onto heaven, changing the definition of moksha (through false translations) whilst the Dharmics who wish to, change 'heaven' to mean nothing close to what it was. In any non-diual philosophy like advaita, moksha results from a total merge with god, and annilation of the individual 'I'. In dvaita schools it is closer to Abrahamism, as 'in the company of God' is closer to the Christian idea. Still, aspects like physical resurrection don't come up anywhere in Hindusm as far as I know.
I understand, but I am coming from my personal position that Advaita is ultimately the highest truth so I am expressing my opinion from that perspective. I know other religions may be different but I see them slowly evolving towards the correct view (in my opinion). As Advaita thinking is ultimately right (in my opinion) earnest and successful truth seekers will find paths in their religion that will seem increasingly Advaita.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I understand, but I am coming from my personal position that Advaita is ultimately the highest truth so I am expressing my opinion from that perspective. I know other religions may be different but I see them slowly evolving towards the correct view (in my opinion). As Advaita thinking is ultimately right (in my opinion) earnest and successful truth seekers will find paths in their religion that will seem increasingly Advaita.

For better or worse, my observations parallel this. Not being an advaitin myself, I notice the pitfalls of it, mainly ignoring the steps (virtuous conduct primarily, and to a lesser degree bhakti) and stages that bring you to that realisation in the non-intellectual way of its origins. So you get people thinking they're there when they're just being fooled by their own intellectual ego. Very individual though.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If he had the experience of giving birth to a child in a previous life, and he remembers that experience, then arguably, yes.
Arguably, but generally people can't remember that specific kind of stuff. In that case, he was just being a chauvinist jerk.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I just want to thank you for this thread. It expresses eloquently many of the reasons why perennialist thought drives me nuts: the inherent disrespectfulness involved in overwriting someone else's cultural narratives with universalism. I sometimes have a difficult time articulating to perennial thinkers why it is their perspective is offensive, in large part because it is made in good faith. It's a sort of erasure - a way of dealing with diversity by pretending it does not exist. Maybe that's all some people can do to be comfortable with diversity, but... well... I don't find it to be an optimal approach.