• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposal in California For Soda Tax and Ban On Super Sized Sugary Drinks

Do you support high taxes on sodas or other sugary drinks?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I favor an extremely high tax on bacon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
California lawmakers propose soda tax, outlawing super-size sugary drinks

California restaurants and stores would be prohibited from selling “Big Gulp”-style sodas and consumers would face taxes on sugar-sweetened soft drinks under bills announced Wednesday by five state lawmakers to address a “public health crisis” of obesity in the Golden State.

The proposals include a ban on the sale of unsealed "sugar-sweetened beverage" portions larger than 16 ounces at food-service businesses, including restaurants with self-service soda fountains, stores such as 7-Eleven, and sports arenas.

“Big Soda has profited off of life-threatening disease and suffering for too long,” said Assemblyman David Chiu (D-San Francisco), who introduced the bill banning large sodas. “California is taking common sense measures that shed light on the predatory practices of Big Soda and help consumers make healthier choices.”

The proposal is facing some opposition:

The proposals drew criticism Wednesday from the soda industry and Republican lawmakers including Assemblyman James Gallagher (R-Yuba City).

“Californians don’t want to be treated like children,” Gallagher said in a statement. “Education – sure, let’s help people make healthier choices. But telling adults they can’t have a Big Gulp or banning soda from the checkout aisle is the kind of government intrusion that people can’t stand.”

It appears the proposed tax would hurt the poor more than anyone:

In arguing that the poor would be hurt most by such a tax, he cited a report by the Legislative Analyst’s Office this month that found the “burden of paying the tax would disproportionately fall on some groups relative to others.”

I won't deny that sodas have high calories and could be a contributory factor in the obesity crisis. But other factors might be in play, such as people sitting on their couches watching TV or playing video games. Maybe they should impose a Netflix tax.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Note to anyone who votes to tax bacon....
I know where you live.
I have fermented prune juice, & I'm not afraid to use it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hurting the poor is a crap argument. Poor people have access to water and juice. This tax has been levelled in my country and I support it. There's no need to drink soda; you don't need it in your life. If you can't afford it, don't buy it and save your teeth and your weight, and drink water.

Shad

Veteran Member
California lawmakers propose soda tax, outlawing super-size sugary drinks

The proposal is facing some opposition:

It appears the proposed tax would hurt the poor more than anyone:

I won't deny that sodas have high calories and could be a contributory factor in the obesity crisis. But other factors might be in play, such as people sitting on their couches watching TV or playing video games. Maybe they should impose a Netflix tax.

I read this in Stewie's voice

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I support it. Sodas, when they first came out, were a novelty item, like something you bought once a week on a visit to the department store. If you were lucky. They should no more be consumed at the daily rate they are than ice cream should. At that rate they are a danger, one that society flagrantly allows. Taxation is an acceptable means to get people to change their habits--it worked for cigarettes. It is already done in Europe, as well as a tax on salty foods like potato chips. And if people don't change their habits, the public coffers benefit. It's a win-win.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hurting the poor is a crap argument. Poor people have access to water and juice. This tax has been levelled in my country and I support it. There's no need to drink soda; you don't need it in your life. If you can't afford it, don't buy it and save your teeth and your weight, and drink water.

Fruit juice is often more expensive than soda. Even with the tax, it might still be more expensive. The sugar content and calorie count might also be somewhat the same.

Kool-Aid is cheaper, although depending on what flavor one gets, it can be just as high in sugar and calories as a typical soda.

I tend to drink more water myself - along with coffee. Lots of coffee. But I drink it black - no cream or sugar. None of those flavored coffees either. With all those extra goodies that some people put in their coffee, that can rack up the calories even higher than most sodas.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sugar is poison, so I'm all for taxing it. But then, for awhile, put a lot of that money into educating people about nutrition. It's changed already a lot in the last 20 years, but more work to be done. In the long run, a lot of arable land now growing cane, corn, or sugar beets could be put to much better use.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Soda is not the problem in California it's methamphetamine.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Fruit juice is often more expensive than soda. Even with the tax, it might still be more expensive. The sugar content and calorie count might also be somewhat the same.

Kool-Aid is cheaper, although depending on what flavor one gets, it can be just as high in sugar and calories as a typical soda.

I tend to drink more water myself - along with coffee. Lots of coffee. But I drink it black - no cream or sugar. None of those flavored coffees either. With all those extra goodies that some people put in their coffee, that can rack up the calories even higher than most sodas.
I mean dilute stuff. That comes in sugar-free varieties.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The issue with soda is largely due to the dietary habits of kids in schools which has been the counter-argument for a long time here in my state. This is about diabeetus

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The issue with soda is largely due to the dietary habits of kids in schools which has been the counter-argument for a long time here in my state. This is about diabeetus

It's crazy that your kids are allowed soda at schools. Soda is banned from schools here.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
"Sugar-free" is even worse, as commercially that's a code for artificial sweeteners.
Yes, but who is saying no-one should have sweet things ever? Having some dilute stuff every so often if you can't afford soda seems a good idea. Not all sweeteners are the same, and while none are perfect if you want sweet things you have one or the other, it's just that simple.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It's crazy that your kids are allowed soda at schools. Soda is banned from schools here.

That's nothing we have these at schools:

51NqKhKLBHL__SY355_.jpg