• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposal for a new Astrological Calendar

Troublemane

Ive been messing around with an idea for a few years now, which i'd like to share with my friends here on RF. I thought you guys might find this intriguing.

I have devised a new calendrical system which would show exactly where the vernal point is, and where the sun is in relation to the actual sky. Astrologers dont like to talk about this, as their system is so far out of whack that when they say you are an aries you are really a pisces, taureans are really aries, and so forth. Its really horrible.

As an example of how my calendar would work, lets take today's date: Dec.28, 2008

In the proposed Astrological Calendar, this would be:
Age of Pisces 28th Degree, Year 64, Sol in Sagittarius, Day 10.

Or simplified to: Pisces 28.64, Sol Sag 10.

the calendar is different from all other calendars in this respect: the New Years day changes every 72 years. This is because of precession of the equinoxes, which is what throws the regular calendar and the zodiac signs out of synch. Heres where this system really tickles my cortex: the calendar itself (the position of the vernal point) is what tells you when to advance the calendar! How simple is that?

Here's how it works: We know the vernal point is in degree 28 of Pisces (if we figure on year 1 CE to be the start of the Age of Pisces, or Pisces 01.01), and every 72 years we know that the vernal point precesses 1 degree, then we know that when the calendar reaches Pisces 28.72, then next year it will roll over to Pisces 29 and start over at Year 1 again. (Pisces 29.01)

New Years day (and subsequently, the equinoxes) will precess also, since we are choosing the vernal point as our "New Years" point. This works to our advantage, as the New Years Day point is given to us BY THE VERNAL POINT ITSELF!!!! So the calendar tells us when to advance it. When the Sun is at the vernal point.

So.....New Years is the third day of Pisces, so long as the vernal point is 28* Pisces. When the Degree changes to Pisces 29.01, then New Years Day will shift back a day, and become Sol in Pisces 2. Using this calendar we'd say it's Pisces 28.72, Sol in Pisces 2 as the last day of degree 28, then the next day (Sol in Pisces 3) is the first day of Pisces 29 Year 1, Sol in Pisces 3----And when that happens, the vernal point shifts back a day, so the next New Years Day will be Pisces 29.02, Sol in Pisces 2.

Also, the calendar advances with the mundane calendar we have, regarding leap years, etc. Note that 2008 was a leap year (divisible by 4), and so is Year 64 of Pisces 28, so it will have 366 days instead of the usual 365.

The point is, the information is there in the calendar itself. My thought is that maybe, MAYBE, as people are able to see the slow progression of the earth/sun through the heavens, then this whole climate change thing thats slowly happening won't be such a surprise? People will begin to see life as not a steady progression of moments from an unknown past into an uncertain future, and realize time is a vast spiral, circling out into eternity, and YES we can see how we relate to the cosmic scheme, if we just choose to align our mundane concept of time with whats really going on overhead.

Its a thought anyways! :angel2:

OH! if you wanna see where the sun actually is in relation to the zodiac, heres a helpful link:
Your Sky

Troublemane

Okie dokie! Thanks to my incredible super-ninja sister,:bow:
the thread is now speeled correctly. :angel2:

Thanx Heddowb!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
No problem, brah. :trampo:

I'm about ready to leave to get the kids. Yay!!

Now back to our regular programming. :D

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Troublemane,
Never knew that you are a mathematician/astronomer.
Instead of mulling over to do or not to do, eons will pass.
Always JUMP & then THINK
instead of THINK & JUMP.
One loses nothing but only gains by doing things which are not personal but welfare of majority.
Best wishes for your efforts.
Do let us the finished version of your calendar.
LOve & rgds

Troublemane

Thanks for the encouragement, zenzero!:bow:

Yeah, I know its not something which will make a difference to many people. But as you say, eons pass. So my work is for the eons, and in time there may be people who find this calendar useful. Ya never know! :angel2:

Mike
Jan 1,2009 (era vulgaris)
Age of Pisces 28.64, Sol=Sag 14

Last edited:

to long to write down and slightly harder to learn but a nice change from the same old calander there hasn't been a change to that one in years (many years)

hint, you know admins so maby you can try it out as an optional way this site displays date

Last edited:

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
How about January to December? The year split into 12...works for me. Astrology...mmm.

Troublemane

Ya, astrology has been given a bad rap because it was (actually) primitive psychology, and we have rightfully advanced beyond that. One thing to consider is the fact that NOBODY is born under the actual sign that modern astrology says they are. For example, I am supposed to be a "Leo" according to traditional astrology. But where was the sun in the heavens, on the day I was born? According to science, it was in the part of the sky between Leo and Cancer, so I am more likely a Cancer than a Leo....Has this changed my personality? HELL NO!

For me, the knowledge of where the sun actually is, has liberated me from the limiting concept of astrology, that we each have to fit into a certain "box" that predicts our behavior.

If there is any actual basis for astrology, I think it may be as a kind of feedback, where a person reads about astrology then projects the idea of signs onto people (themselves included), because there are aspects of everyone which may coincide with any of the signs. Everyone can be : lazy, energetic, stingy, frugal, rapacious, stalwart, introverted, extroverted.

So the desire to base the calendar off the astrological signs isnt to help us predict things, but to demonstrate that what has been passed off by astrologers as genuine positions of the planets are so far off, theres no way they could actually predict anything!

Troublemane

also i chose astrology because the clearly established symbols for the 12 signs can be used as universally identified "months". As here they are given (by great Wiki):

So when I write the date, i could just use the symbol (pisces) 28.64, (symbol for sun) (sagittarius) 14. So when you get the hang of it, its actually much simpler than the regular calendar. BUT, theres the advantage that it isnt based on the date of some (dubious) event or birth which cannot be substantiated historically. :angel2:

rock hop

Troublemane, I appreciate the work you have done but I cannot accept it. Not because it may be wrong or it may be foolish but because it is Norhthern Hemispherical Prejudiced. I live in the Southern Hemisphere and actually never get to see the greatness of some system entering some other and in so cannot feel the effects of such. I would however offer support for you to request of the governing bodies of the Southern Hemisphere, that you come down under to develop a calendar for our eyes and such. Hoppefully our government will support you in this endeavour and reward you fittingly. Just as those who were rewarded in the Northern Hemisphere. Pray you don't get it wrong I would hate to see you loose your jewels or your head.

Troublemane

Hey thanks rock hop. Heres a link to the sky above Melbourne, Australia currently.
Sky above 37°49'S 144°58'1"E at Fri 2009 Jan 2 10:25

If you can see the sun then you can see these constellations (Leo, Aquarius, Pisces, etc.)

I dont need money. I dont know what I would do if an idea of mine actually had a huge and immediate affect on the world, I would probably flee into the mountains and hide! So, i am hoping this is just something people may use side by side with the normal calendar, not replace it. :angel2:

Last edited: