• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophets prior to Jesus

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
In Judaism, prophecy is believed to have ended after Malachi and is set to come back during the messianic era (never mind the reasons now).

From what I've gathered, Christians believe that prophecy never ended. Jesus, for example, is considered, among other things, a prophet. Maybe also John the Baptist, though I'm not sure. It's a big chunk of years between the time of Malachi and the time of Jesus (several hundred years). I was wondering, therefore, whether Christians can point to other individuals who lived before Jesus and had prophetic capabilities?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In Judaism, prophecy is believed to have ended after Malachi and is set to come back during the messianic era (never mind the reasons now).

From what I've gathered, Christians believe that prophecy never ended. Jesus, for example, is considered, among other things, a prophet. Maybe also John the Baptist, though I'm not sure. It's a big chunk of years between the time of Malachi and the time of Jesus (several hundred years). I was wondering, therefore, whether Christians can point to other individuals who lived before Jesus and had prophetic capabilities?
We would hold to what you said. All the prophets of the TaNaKh -- and 400 years of silence until Jesus.

The purpose of prophets after Jesus have a different function - not the same as the prophets of old

Kenny

Premium Member
Why the silence, according to Christianity?

Just viewpoints, but as we see it and expressed by Malachi, God had tried to deal with the hearts of those holding to the word of truth and after so many years He finally said "Where is my honor". Mal. 1:6. Nothing more to add to what was already said throughout all of the prophets of God

Personally, I think that He had laid out all the specifics about the Messiah and now it was just fulfilling what He said He would do.

Not that He left the apple of His eye, but rather all that was needed, all the words of life that only He gives and can fulfill, were now said. From that moment it was just a matter of manifesting His word that never returns void but accomplishes what He said it would do and saying "it was good".

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I think that He had laid out all the specifics about the Messiah and now it was just fulfilling what He said He would do.
Though being a prophet wasn't just about foreseeing the Messiah or even foreseeing in general. If you can keep having individuals with a direct com link to God, why stop? And for such a long period?

Kenny

Premium Member
Though being a prophet wasn't just about foreseeing the Messiah or even foreseeing in general. If you can keep having individuals with a direct com link to God, why stop? And for such a long period?

You are correct and I agree that being a prophet wasn't just about foreseeing the Messiah.

Good question about why... and, (can I say this?) I don't know :)

It doesn't answer why - in any of the two Testaments. So we are relegated to viewpoints and anyone's viewpoint can be wrong. Who can know the mind of God?

But as viewpoints, I think YHWH had done all He was going to do and now His next step was the Messiah.

Do you know the Jewish viewpoint? I'm interested.

Kenny

Premium Member
I would also say that it wasn't that God wasn't doing something. I my view, the creation of the Synagogues was God still working along with a common Greek language and all the roads that lead to Rome (In the Christian perspective)

Terry Sampson

Why the silence, according to Christianity?
Put on your "waders"
Screenshot_2020-06-23.png

A "Christian" response to your question will, IMO, take this thread into waters filled with different kinds of "fish" and other marine creatures.

For example:

pearl

For what ever reason the intertestamental period is overlooked, leaving many unanswered questions. But I think as far as Christianity is concerned the last of the Hebrew prophets is John the Baptist.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
11 But I come swiftly, so cling tightly to what you have, so that no one may seize your crown of victory. 12 For the one who is victorious, I will make you to be a pillar in the sanctuary of my God, permanently secure. I will write on you the name of my God and the name of the city of my God—the New Jerusalem, descending from my God out of heaven. And I’ll write my own name on you. 13 So the one whose heart is open let him listen carefully to what the Spirit is now saying to all the churches.

Revelation 3.11 said the above.

If you do a historic after the fact of the death of Jesus and resurrection, the history would state that a change occurred to earth, the Carpenter/tectonic which was built by science. How it is interpreted, a cause of science that attacked Earth.

The asteroid wandering star that was seen in the space releasing its gases as it wandered was the theme, Immaculate spirit being put back into the spatial body by the Father mantle/cloak of many colours. Spirit gases named JOSEPH. The Father.

Notified in Jerusalem the land where science was chosen, taught, built and applied historically, the Father of their ancient history/genetics. So from the Moses mutative attack in history, the ICE melt, the flooded Earth sin holes, the mountain in reversal....sink holes filled up with water above its peak. Why it was notated that the Sphinx and also around the Pyramid was flooded.

So both the pyramid mountain peak, as fake mountain and the animal God was sitting above that mountain flooded water line. How it was relativity taught in fact, was science.

Therefore what came swiftly after the death was the breaking up of the asteroid stone, that had saved the newly returned baby DNA to a healthy life, to see it removed again and sacrificed 33 years later. As proof the Temple/pyramid science is evil.
311 AD
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/...gy_-by_-emperor/tetrachy/galerius-305-311-ad/

Evidence of notification in history, data correlated after the fact. What everyone seems to overlook, life was living after Jesus was sacrificed, the Temple science was rebuilt and re applied.

According to the Bible, Joseph was born circa 100 B.C.E.

Life span by holy value a letter C is 100 years.

Bible Verses about Joseph, Prophecy of
  • Genesis 49:22
    "Joseph is a fruitful bough,
    A fruitful bough by a well;
    His branches run over the wall.
  • Genesis 49:26
    The blessings of your father
    Have excelled the blessings of my ancestors,
    Up to the utmost bound of the everlasting hills.
    They shall be on the head of Joseph,
    And on the crown of the head of him who was separate from his brothers.
Jesus, was of course historic separate from his brothers. Therefore the prophecy sacrifice and crown of thorns, Satanic gas/spirit fall out was already known from the Moses event, pyramid history.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I would also say that it wasn't that God wasn't doing something. I my view, the creation of the Synagogues was God still working along with a common Greek language and all the roads that lead to Rome (In the Christian perspective)
What do you mean?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you know the Jewish viewpoint? I'm interested.
I wasn't going to get into the Jewish viewpoint because I'm too tired to pull up the sources and explain it all...but because you asked, a really, really short version is that the problem was twofold, and both of the reasons (that come to mind, there may be more) are related to the mechanics of how prophecy works, and these rules weren't fulfilled during that era. Hence, no prophecy. In the messianic era, the rules are supposed to be fulfilled (it's part of the definition of the era), and so - return of prophecy.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
For what ever reason the intertestamental period is overlooked, leaving many unanswered questions. But I think as far as Christianity is concerned the last of the Hebrew prophets is John the Baptist.
And Jesus is the first of the Christian prophets?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Put on your "waders"
View attachment 42076

A "Christian" response to your question will, IMO, take this thread into waters filled with different kinds of "fish" and other marine creatures.

For example:
Well, I saw a number of options: Fulfillment of the spiritual famine prophecy in Amos, or the reason is unclear but the situation was different from how commonly depicted (there were private revelations), god allowing this in order for the teachings of the Bible to begin spreading in the world (why this one means that there cannot still be prophets is unclear to me), the reason is unknown, possibly because the Jews weren't honoring God. There are probably more, as you hinted.

pearl

And Jesus is the first of the Christian prophets?

Jesus had many titles, most of which were attributed post resurrection.
But from what we know of the historical Jesus his life was characteristic of a Hebrew prophet, sage, holy man.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus had many titles, most of which were attributed post resurrection.
But from what we know of the historical Jesus his life was characteristic of a Hebrew prophet, sage, holy man.
I'm merely trying to understand why you define John as the last of the Hebrew prophets. John came prior to Jesus - so in terms of prophecy, how would you define Jesus? And perhaps also his disciples, if you regard them as prophets?

Kenny

Premium Member
I wasn't going to get into the Jewish viewpoint because I'm too tired to pull up the sources and explain it all...but because you asked, a really, really short version is that the problem was twofold, and both of the reasons (that come to mind, there may be more) are related to the mechanics of how prophecy works, and these rules weren't fulfilled during that era. Hence, no prophecy. In the messianic era, the rules are supposed to be fulfilled (it's part of the definition of the era), and so - return of prophecy.
Thanks. If I can indulge :) or as Abraham said, "let not Hare13 be angry and I will speak this but once": :) Preadventure, can you tell me what the twofold reasons are? (And I will ask no more) :)

InvestigateTruth

In our view, Prophets are two types. Those major Prophets, who have a direct revelations from God, and can bring Laws and establish a covenant with people, and those minor prophets who can prophesied, and promote religion.
Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus are major prophets who had a direct revelation. Others like, Solomon, David, John the Baptist,..were minor Prophets.
After Moses, there was no need for a direct revelation till the Messiah, but there were minor prophets who were promoting religion of Moses.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Just a thought. Lack of a prophet speaking didn't translate into "God is not doing something".
Oh, of course. I don't think God is ever just sitting around and flicking through cosmic channels.
Thanks. If I can indulge :) or as Abraham said, "let not Hare13 be angry and I will speak this but once": :) Preadventure, can you tell me what the twofold reasons are? (And I will ask no more) :)
Awww.... It's really complicated...but here goes:
To reach prophecy, there are several factors that must be met. One is a high spiritual level. That's something that can still be found over the generations. The "Bnei hanevi'im", sons of the prophets mentioned in Tanach were schools of people attempting to attain the level of prophecy. The actual prophecy comes from God, but you need to do your own part for that to happen. Highly spiritual people have always existed. So that's a factor that hasn't changed. However, other factors have: One is that the majority of the Israelites have to be living in the land of Israel (without getting into the specifics now of why Moses could prophecize in Egypt and the wilderness and other questions). How, why, what does that have to do with anything - we'll set that aside for now. Another is a more arcane reason, which is that we are told in the Talmud that our sages destroyed the inclination for idolatry in the early days of the Second Temple era. How, why, what - we'll set that aside for now (yes, I'm lazy). The problem was that while this was a good thing on one hand, on the other hand, it canceled out something called Koach Hadimyon, which very roughly translates as the power of imagination, something which is central to one's prophetic capabilities. How, why, what - once again, too complicated and I'm lazy. There are probably some other reasons, but that's it in general.