• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophet Muhammad did not marry a child

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I believe Prophet Muhammad did not marry and had sex with a 9 year old child. I believe that is a big lie. The hadiths about this is fabricated. The Quran is against child marriage, and prophet Muhammad followed the Quran.

Quran Surat Akl-An'am 6:114

Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? Those who received the scripture recognize that it has been revealed from your Lord, truthfully. You shall not harbor any doubt.

I believe the Quran is from God. I believe the hadiths is man made. And hadiths was written down 200 years after prophet Muhammad lived, and because of this not all hadiths is true. The Quran should always be most important.

By the way,children who is only 9 years old has not big enough body to give birth. They has very high risk of dying in child birth. Propet Muhammad was a prophet from God. Because of that i believe he never married a 9year old girl.

And most cultures allowed to constumate the marriage not before the age of 12-13 years old.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The majority of traditional sources state that Aisha was betrothed to Muhammad at the age of six or seven, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine, or ten according to Ibn Hisham, when the marriage was consummated with Muhammad, then 53, in Medina.
Muhammad's wives - Wikipedia.

Starlight

The majority of traditional sources state that Aisha was betrothed to Muhammad at the age of six or seven, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine, or ten according to Ibn Hisham, when the marriage was consummated with Muhammad, then 53, in Medina.
Muhammad's wives - Wikipedia.
Only hadiths (written 200years after the prophets death) say that Prophet Muhammad had sex with a 9 year old. The Quran is against child marriage. And prophet Muhammad followed the Quran

firedragon

Veteran Member
I believe Prophet Muhammad did not marry a child. I believe that is a big lie. The hadiths about this is fabricated. The Quran is against child marriage, and prophet Muhammad followed the Quran.

Quran Surat Akl-An'am 6:114

Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? Those who received the scripture recognize that it has been revealed from your Lord, truthfully. You shall not harbor any doubt.

I believe the Quran is from God. I believe the hadiths is man made. And hadiths was written down 200 years after prophet Muhammad lived, and because of this not all hadiths is true. The Quran should always be most important.

Let me tell you something Starlight. Read very carefully. Even if someone believes in Ahadith, like a lot of atheists in this thread. I mean atheists really really believe in ahadith. Hardcore believers in hadith. ;)

In the early Islamic history the Shii vs Sunni divide resulted in cross polemical condemnations. The Shii's developed a hatred towards Aisha due to the records of their initial wars being against her, and she lead the war against them. I am not gonna get involved in this politics but the Shii's started to develop stories about Aisha to demean her and turn her into a loose woman with a very bad character. They claimed that she slept around prior to marrying Muhammed.

The ahadith about Muhammed marrying Aisha at such a young age in both Buhari and Muslim was narrated solely by her nephew. Close affinity to Aisha.

There are a lot of issues with the hadith from language and conflicting reports in all kinds of traditions. A lot of people are ignorant, but though they say "Aisha herself said", it is narrated by her nephew. So it is widely inferred that he intentionally made Aisha so young that it is impossible for her to have had any relationship with anyone other than Muhammed. This was done purely to counter the old Shii narrative that she was a very promiscuous woman.

This is one single point in the study of the Aisha tradition which a lot of people use for hate preaching against Islam. ;)

firedragon

Veteran Member
Only hadiths (written 200years after the prophets death) say that Prophet Muhammad had sex with a 9 year old. The Quran is against child marriage. And prophet Muhammad followed the Quran

Hmm. Let me give you some more insight. Hadith were not written 200 years after the prophet. They were written maybe 400 years later. Maybe 500. There is no indication that they were written 200 years after Muhammed. The only record we have is that Buhari lived in the 3rd century. That does not mean he wrote them down. Do you understand?

Also, no one ever claimed that Buhari wrote down ahadith. Nor did they claim that Buhari ever narrated these hadith to someone else. There was only one single man called Frabri who is supposed to be Buhari's student who narrated all the hadith. I mean every single hadith. Also, narration does not mean documentation.

Just some simple points for you to remember.

stevecanuck

Even if someone believes in Ahadith, like a lot of atheists in this thread. I mean atheists really really believe in ahadith. Hardcore believers in hadith. ;)

You're misrepresenting the definition of "belief" in ahadith. Speaking for myself only, I RECOGNIZE that they exist and that some Muslims use them for further instruction. Whether they are accurate or not is a moot point, and belief has nothing to do with the reason for reading them.

I heard a story that during WWII the Allies used an astrologist not because they believed in astrology, but because they wanted to know what Hitler's was telling him.

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0

firedragon

Veteran Member
You're misrepresenting the definition of "belief" in ahadith. Speaking for myself only, I RECOGNIZE that they exist and that some Muslims use them for further instruction. Whether they are accurate or not is a moot point, and belief has nothing to do with the reason for reading them.

I heard a story that during WWII the Allies used an astrologist not because they believed in astrology, but because they wanted to know what Hitler's was telling him.

Very good. Thank you for giving your personal ideas.

stevecanuck

The Quran is against child marriage.

No, it implicitly condones it. Surah 65 (Divorce) is quite clear (I've removed the non-salient verses and/or portions of the verses):

65:1 - "O Prophet, when you divorce women, divorce them when they have reached their period".
65:4 - "If you have any doubt whether your wives have reached the stage of menopause, the waiting period will be three months. This will also be the same for those who do not experience menstruation".

As you can see, those verses cover all the bases, Verse 1 concerns adult women who still have periods, while verse 4 discusses either end of the maturity spectrum starting with those too old to menstruate, followed by those too young (children).

I've seen someone try to wriggle out of the latter by saying there are some mature women who don't menstruate for whatever reason, and that verse 4 is referring to them. To me, that's an obvious dodge. If Allah did not mean children, he should have done a much better job of making that crystal clear. Child marriages exist throughout the Muslim world, and probably because of 65:4.

Starlight

No, it implicitly condones it. Surah 65 (Divorce) is quite clear (I've removed the non-salient verses and/or portions of the verses):

65:1 - "O Prophet, when you divorce women, divorce them when they have reached their period".
65:4 - "If you have any doubt whether your wives have reached the stage of menopause, the waiting period will be three months. This will also be the same for those who do not experience menstruation".

As you can see, those verses cover all the bases, Verse 1 concerns adult women who still have periods, while verse 4 discusses either end of the maturity spectrum starting with those too old to menstruate, followed by those too young (children).

I've seen someone try to wriggle out of the latter by saying there are some mature women who don't menstruate for whatever reason, and that verse 4 is referring to them. To me, that's an obvious dodge. If Allah did not mean children, he should have done a much better job of making that crystal clear. Child marriages exist throughout the Muslim world, and probably because of 65:4.

Not all women menstruate. I believe the verse is about woman who do not menstrate because of illness or other different reasons.

Most likely Allah did not make it clear because Allah gave us humans common sense and reason. Allah expects people to understand that one does not marry children.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Haha. Have you read the Qur'an at all? Here you go people. Cherry picking in action.

• Steve. Do you know what "Annisa" means? Is it female or women? How do you define a woman?
  • What do you call a young girl of prepubescent age in arabic?
  • How does the Qur'an define marital age in chapter two?
Since you are providing scholarly exegesis of a book, you must have read it thoroughly no? So please shed light on the question I asked.

Thanks in advance. .

firedragon

Veteran Member
Not all women menstruate. I believe the verse is about woman who do not menstrate because of illness or other different reasons.

What's more important to note Starlight is that the verse is directly addressing women. Annisa. Women are older women. In Arabic, Annisa is not a reference to the female gender. Anyone who has a little bit of arabic knowledge would know that a female in gender is Alif, noon, Saa or thaa (The fourth letter in the arabic alphabet). It does not refer to babies.

There are some individuals who interpreted it that way, but that's a serious error. And of course a few atheists who have not studied the subject but pretend to know it all make some bogus cases.

Also, Yaisnal Mahidhi, it could never in your life mean "never got their menstruation". Yaisna means "completed", or "got rid of", or as some translate it "despaired". Not "I have not got it yet". It's pretty stupid for people to insist on something they don't understand.

Two points.
1. It's referring to grown women.
2. It says you are done with your menstruation.

Now see how some ignorant haters do the "he said" fallacy. It's called "appealing to authority". ;)

Peace.

stevecanuck

Most likely Allah did not make it clear because Allah gave us humans common sense and reason. Allah expects people to understand that one does not marry children.

Then he failed miserably. Child brides are common in some Islamic societies.

Starlight

Then he failed miserably. Child brides are common in some Islamic societies.
More and more muslims believe that prophet muhammad did not marry a 9year old girl. So no, God did not fail

I believe the Quran is from God. The Quran was written down when prophet Muhammad was alive. And I believe the hadiths is man made. Hadiths was written down 200 years after prophet Muhammad lived, and because of this not all hadiths is true. The Quran should always be most important.

That Muhammad married a 9 years old girl is not in the Quran. It is only from the hadiths

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
It would be more correct to say that it is your interpretation of the Quran that is against child marriage.
There are other interpretations that support it.

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
prophet Muhammad followed the Quran.
How do you know that? There is no reliable history of Muhammad, only hagiography based on what people considered to cast Muhammad in a desirable light at the time, and some parts of the earlier hagiographies are not portraying Muhammad in a desirable light by today's standards.

In my opinion.

Starlight

How do you know that? There is no reliable history of Muhammad, only hagiography based on what people considered to cast Muhammad in a desirable light at the time, and some parts of the earlier hagiographies are not portraying Muhammad in a desirable light by today's standards.

In my opinion.
Prophet Muhammad was a prophet of God. The angel Gabriel told prophet Muhammad the Quran.
A prophet is a person who follow God. And because the Quran is from God, then he followed the Quran

stevecanuck

Haha. Have you read the Qur'an at all? Here you go people. Cherry picking in action.

• Steve. Do you know what "Annisa" means? Is it female or women? How do you define a woman?
  • What do you call a young girl of prepubescent age in arabic?
  • How does the Qur'an define marital age in chapter two?
Since you are providing scholarly exegesis of a book, you must have read it thoroughly no? So please shed light on the question I asked.

Thanks in advance. .

But, but ............. CHERRY PICKING!!!! You're slipping. You forgot to include 'cut and paste' in your 'rebuttal'.

Did the translators in corpus.quran.com get something wrong? How do you take 65:1 and 65:4?

stevecanuck

What's more important to note Starlight is that the verse is directly addressing women. Annisa. Women are older women. In Arabic, Annisa is not a reference to the female gender. Anyone who has a little bit of arabic knowledge would know that a female in gender is Alif, noon, Saa or thaa (The fourth letter in the arabic alphabet). It does not refer to babies.

There are some individuals who interpreted it that way, but that's a serious error. And of course a few atheists who have not studied the subject but pretend to know it all make some bogus cases.

Also, Yaisnal Mahidhi, it could never in your life mean "never got their menstruation". Yaisna means "completed", or "got rid of", or as some translate it "despaired". Not "I have not got it yet". It's pretty stupid for people to insist on something they don't understand.

Two points.
1. It's referring to grown women.
2. It says you are done with your menstruation.

Now see how some ignorant haters do the "he said" fallacy. It's called "appealing to authority". ;)

Peace.

Nope. In the words of some guy named firedragon, it's relying on the scholarship of others. A person doesn't have to know a single word of Arabic to understand the Qur'an. World renowned scholars have done all the heavy lifting. They need only be studied.

firedragon

Veteran Member
But, but ............. CHERRY PICKING!!!! You're slipping. You forgot to include 'cut and paste' in your 'rebuttal'.

Did the translators in corpus.quran.com get something wrong? How do you take 65:1 and 65:4?

You don't know anything do you mate? ;) That's why you can't answer anything.

Nope. In the words of some guy named firedragon, it's relying on the scholarship of others. A person doesn't have to know a single word of Arabic to understand the Qur'an. World renowned scholars have done all the heavy lifting. They need only be studied.

Appealing to authority. ;) But pretends to know it all.

You have no clue what world renown scholars have said. Quick searching on the internet is not studying a subject. You cant address the argument because it goes against your hate preaching attempt. ;)

firedragon

Veteran Member

In my opinion.

So Daniel. You believe in the reliability of the history of the prophet Muhammed right? Trying not to get into your Muhammed bashing derail, can you show me in Muhammed biography, how his marriage to Aisha clashes with Aisha's premarital marriage proposal by someone else, and how Asma gets into the picture conflicting Aisha's age, and if Aisha was a miraculous little baby of 2 or 3 to memorise parts of the revelation through her parents?

Just asking since you say it's reliable which means you should have had some knowledge on the seerah.

Thanks.