• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophecy?

Shantanu

That's all good as it is your journey. I see there is no time when God does not guide us, I see life unfolds with all the choices constantly in front of us. God knows our end and our choices, so to find God we have to meditate on each choice we make and a lot of the time the right path springs into mind, but we ignore it because it may be too hard.

You may be interested in the 5 dynamics of prayer, to me this tells us all about our self and what we do with the choices we face;

"Use these five steps if we have a problem of any kind for which we desire a solution, or wish help.
  1. Pray and meditate about it. Use the prayers of the Manifestations, as they have the greatest power. Learn to remain in the silence of contemplation for a few moments. During this deepest communion take the next step.

2. Arrive at a decision and hold to this. This decision is usually born in a flash at the close or during the contemplation. It may seem almost impossible of accomplishment, but if it seems to be an answer to prayer or a way of solving the problem, then immediately take the next step.

3. Have determination to carry the decision through. Many fail here. The decision, budding into determination, is blighted and instead becomes a wish or a vague longing. When determination is born, immediately take the next step.

4. Have faith and confidence, that the Power of the Holy Spirit will flow through you, the right way will appear, the door will open, the right message, the right principle or the right book will be given to you. Have confidence, and the right thing will come to meet your need. Then as you rise from prayer take immediately the fifth step.

5. Act as though it had all been answered. Then act with tireless, ceaseless energy. And, as you act, you yourself will become a magnet which will attract more power to your being, until you become an unobstructed channel for the Divine Power to flow through you.
There is also another piece of advice that you may find interesting;

"Abdul'baha has said "...guidance was when the doors opened after we tried. We can pray, ask to do God's will only, try hard, and then if we find our plan is not working out, assume it is not the right one, at least for the moment."

All the best and may you and your family always be well and happy.

Regards Tony
I appreciate your attempts to guide me.

GoodbyeDave

The future, by definition, hasn't happened. It doesn't exist. Therefore, no being, however knowledgeable, can say what will happen in the future. Obviously, if you have enough insight you can say what is likely to happen. I can't think of any prophecy that can be proved to have come true, save by some very special pleading.

The Greek word prophetes means one who speaks on behalf of another, specifically one who interprets the will of a god. In the Hebrew Bible, the word navi also means a speaker. The prophets (not all prophets of Yahweh) were spokesmen for a god, not necessarily foretelling the future: sometimes they would be saying that if people didn't listen, these were the sort of consequences that might be expected.

MonkeyFire

I forsee things. I know when I get a kingskayer bonus on Call of Duty before the icon appears. I offten know what someone will say next.

Neuropteron

Why do you believe in these prophecies? You have some personal experience?

We all have, some have said that the Bible is history written in advance.

Some prophecies concerning our days are:
2 Tim 3:1,Matt 24:7, Luk21:11,2 Pet 3:3.

However we should not expect God inspired prophesies to be made today since this particular gift (and some others as well) was discontinued after the congregation reached maturity. (1 Cor 13:2,8-11).

sooda

Veteran Member

However we should not expect God inspired prophesies to be made today since this particular gift (and some others as well) was discontinued after the congregation reached maturity. (1 Cor 13:2,8-11).

Vāticinium ex ēventū "prophecy from the event") is a technical theological or historiographical term referring to a prophecy written after the author already had information about the events being "foretold". The text is written so as to appear that the prophecy had taken place before the event, when in fact it was written after the events supposedly predicted. Vaticinium ex eventu is a form of hindsight bias.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The future, by definition, hasn't happened. It doesn't exist. Therefore, no being, however knowledgeable, can say what will happen in the future. Obviously, if you have enough insight you can say what is likely to happen. I can't think of any prophecy that can be proved to have come true, save by some very special pleading
You see, David, that is why Kirshn says in Gita (or is supposed to say so):

Karmani Eva Adhikarah Te, Ma Phaleshu Kadachana; Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhuh, Ma Te Sangah Astu Akarmani

You only have the right to perform your action, but not to the fruits of your action; never consider yourself the cause of the results your action,and never associate with inaction."

The results of our action depend on innumerable variables. What happens is because of chance, probability and chaos.

dfnj

Whatever will be will be.

Anyone who believes or sees prophecy coming true there's a little bit of pareidolia going on. However, it doesn't take a genius to realize the old Greek saying "hubris is always followed by nemesis" has some truth to it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Anyone who believes or sees prophecy coming true there's a little bit of pareidolia going on. However, it doesn't take a genius to realize the old Greek saying "hubris is always followed by nemesis" has some truth to it.

Thanks, I learned a new word. Amazing how psychology can explain so much.

Shantanu

We? Not me. I've never seen any actual evidence of any prophecy coming true. You're free to differ.
It was nearly 20 years ago that I had visions of impending struggle to fight a battle of reputation and made certain predictions, some of which has come true. So I do not discount that prophecies are genuine.It all depends on who has been selected by God to be the recipient of guidance and revelations.

sooda

Veteran Member

Ketuvim, the name of the third section of the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible), means simply “Writings”, which hardly does justice to the variety of religious expression found there.

There is poetry — of Temple ritual, private prayer, wisdom, national tragedy, even love. There is philosophical exploration–of the wisest path in life, of God’s goodness and justice.

There are historical retellings and short stories. Ketuvim might better be translated as “the anthology,” the canonical collection from the post-prophetic age.

Ketuvim (Writings) | My Jewish Learning

sooda

Veteran Member
There was no more prophecy after Malachi.

Ketuvim is considered “Second Temple” works.

Unlike the and the books of Prophets (Nevi’im), the works found in Ketuvim do not present themselves as the fruits of direct divine inspiration.

The books of Proverbs, Job and Ecclesiastes (Kohelet) come out of what scholars term the “Wisdom tradition.” Wisdom was an international literature in the biblical Near East, nurtured by scribes in every culture from Egypt to Mesopotamia.

Unlike any of the other books are Song of Songs and Daniel. The former is a collection of passionate love poetry, by tradition an allegory of the love affair between God and Israel. Daniel is an eclectic book most often noted as the earliest apocalyptic text in Judaism.

Ketuvim (Writings) | My Jewish Learning