• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophecy fulfilled? What about Matthew 24:14?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Of course He was telling them the prophecy. But it does not necessarily follow; that Jesus was addressing them saying it was specifically their generation.

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
I see that you do not understand the parable. The parable only told them that they did not know when it would happen during some of their lives. You can't get rid of the qualifier for that prophesy by misunderstanding a parable.

If I say that something is going to happen within two weeks, but I don't know when, that prediction fails if two weeks pass and that event does not happen.

74x12

I see that you do not understand the parable. The parable only told them that they did not know when it would happen during some of their lives. You can't get rid of the qualifier for that prophesy by misunderstanding a parable.

If I say that something is going to happen within two weeks, but I don't know when, that prediction fails if two weeks pass and that event does not happen.
"And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"

They ask Him 3 distinct questions. He is answering all 3 questions. So people may be easily confused because these events aren't necessarily all going to happen at once.

Their first question is when will the temple be destroyed. That's obviously happened already when the Romans destroyed the city.

But, then they ask two more questions. The sign of His coming and the end of the world or as it can be translated: the end of the age. So keep that in mind.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"

They ask Him 3 distinct questions. He is answering all 3 questions. So people may be easily confused because these events aren't necessarily all going to happen at once.

Their first question is when will the temple be destroyed. That's obviously happened already when the Romans destroyed the city.

But, then they ask two more questions. The sign of His coming and the end of the world or as it can be translated: the end of the age. So keep that in mind.
Sorry, now you are merely making excuses. Even C.S. Lewis, a rather devout Christian, realized that this was a very troubling part of the Bible.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Matthew 24:14
Clearly Jesus could not have meant, that all the Messianic procephy was going to be fulfilled, in the manner if a short time.

Explanations, if you believe that all the prophecy was fulfilled?

Other conditions include a third temple, in service, in Jerusalem, and the rise of Antichrist.

Also, the gospel wasn't preached in all peoples/races/tribes, even until the present day.

Failed imminency is a common lie in universities, the apostles taught they would die before the Christ returned, Paul and Jesus said things like, "Finally, after all this, the end will come" and Peter said, "1,000 years until a Return is like a single day to God", and the NT teaches God is patiently allowing many Jews and Gentiles to trust Christ before He returns...

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Of course He was telling them the prophecy. But it does not necessarily follow; that Jesus was addressing them saying it was specifically their generation.

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Right! And there are about six Greek meanings for "generation" with only one of those meanings being "this present generation, a short span of time".

In the ANE, Jews would have a betrothal ceremony, the son would build space on his father's land, and the father would then give approval and send the son to get his bride when the dwelling was finished. The Last Supper was just such a ceremony!

74x12

Sorry, now you are merely making excuses. Even C.S. Lewis, a rather devout Christian, realized that this was a very troubling part of the Bible.
The Pope could have troubles with it but that wouldn't change anything. C.S. Lewis was obviously intelligent but that doesn't mean he knew everything.

I'm not making excuses. Many Christians believe that Jesus is speaking of the generation that sees the fig tree put forth leaves. It's not a new idea.

Faithofchristian

Well I guess you have something to say about it. So, what do you think?

No,no, that is not how it works .
You made mention of ( every eye will see Jesus at his return)
So I ask you, how is it possible for every eye to see Jesus at his return .

So the ball is in your court, to give the answer.

Faithofchristian

Clearly Jesus could not have meant, that all the Messianic procephy was going to be fulfilled, in the manner if a short time.

First of all Matthew Chapter 24 is about the soon coming Tribulation.

Therefore Matthew 24:14 is also about the soon coming Tribulation and happens during the Tribulation period.
So it's a Prophecy that is yet to be fulfilled during the Tribulation period.

Alot of Christians are being taught, that if they go out giving the gospel message that they are fulfilling Matthew 24:14, which they are.
Matthew 24:14, only takes place during the Tribulation period.
Seeing how Matthew Chapter 24 surrounds the tribulation period.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Pope could have troubles with it but that wouldn't change anything. C.S. Lewis was obviously intelligent but that doesn't mean he knew everything.

I'm not making excuses. Many Christians believe that Jesus is speaking of the generation that sees the fig tree put forth leaves. It's not a new idea.
They have to. The magnitude of that failed prophecy is too much for them.

allright

How can Jesus be telling them when it will happen when in verse 36 he says he doesnt know
when only the Father does

Also in Acts 1:7 he directly tells the twelve its not for them to know the times or the seasons

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How can Jesus be telling them when it will happen when in verse 36 he says he doesnt know
when only the Father does

Also in Acts 1:7 he directly tells the twelve its not for them to know the times or the seasons
Once again if I made a "prophecy" that something would happen some time within two weeks that would be the equivalent of Jesus's prophecy. He said that it would happen during the lifetimes of at least some of the people there. That is not knowing the time or the season. If what I predicted did not occur within two weeks it would be a failed prophecy. Since what Jesus predicted did not occur within the lifetimes of those he was speaking to, that is a failed prophecy.

2ndpillar

Once again if I made a "prophecy" that something would happen some time within two weeks that would be the equivalent of Jesus's prophecy. He said that it would happen during the lifetimes of at least some of the people there. That is not knowing the time or the season. If what I predicted did not occur within two weeks it would be a failed prophecy. Since what Jesus predicted did not occur within the lifetimes of those he was speaking to, that is a failed prophecy.

You kind of overlook that there is an inconclusive defining of the term "generation" of Matthew 24:34, which also has a competing term "race" will pass away". This despite that the fact that Yeshua told the disciples that "John" was to "remain", and the Peter, your "rock", and the "brethren" thought that that meant that John would not die (John 21:23), and effectively remain until the day of the "sign of the son of man" (Matthew 24:30).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You kind of overlook that there is an inconclusive defining of the term "generation" of Matthew 24:34, which also has a competing term "race" will pass away". This despite that the fact that Yeshua told the disciples that "John" was to "remain", and the Peter, your "rock", and the "brethren" thought that that meant that John would not die (John 21:23), and effectively remain until the day of the "sign of the son of man" (Matthew 24:30).
Now you are merely making excuses for the failures of the Bible. Excuses are not refutations. You also make all "prophecy" worthless with such an approach. With such a liberal attitude prophecies for all religions have come true. It is best to be honest and admit that this is a failed prophecy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's actually impossible to accomplish much less fulfill.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I just happened to have the answer to this handy because it had posted it on my own forum years ago, as one of the three promises of Jesus. I will post the other two promises if you are interested.

The millennial zeal reached its climax in the year 1844. I wanted to know exactly why. What had led all these people to the same year?

I found the answer. This date in history had been chosen primarily because of three specific promises made by Christ Himself to His disciples. He gave three promises, saying that when these three things came to pass, He (Christ) would return to earth.

The first promise: His Gospel would be preached everywhere on earth.

The first promise of Christ was easy to find. He made it to His disciples in direct reply to their questions. They asked Him:

“Tell us, when shall these things be? And what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?” (Matthew 24:3)

This verse is found in the twenty–fourth chapter of Matthew. Christ then gave His disciples in the following words:

“But he that shall endure until the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness … then shall the end come.” (Matthew 24:13-14)

This was clear enough. The end would come, and Christ would return, when His Gospel was preached throughout the world.

My next step was to discover when the Gospel of Christ was considered to have been preached throughout the world.

A study of the spread of Christianity made by scholars of the 1840’s, convinced them that the message of Christ had, by their day, already encircled the globe. The Gospel was being taught in all the continents. By 1844 it was being taught even in the interior of Africa, not by solitary missionaries, but on an organized scale. A commercial history of East Africa states: “Christian missions began their activities amongst the African people in 1844. (Year Book and Guide to East Africa, Ed. by Robert Hale Ltd., London, 1953, p. 44)

Dr D. L. Leonard, historian of the Mission movement, in his A Hundred Years of Missions, says of the spread of the Word of Christ and His Gospel: “… for the first time since the apostolic period, (there) occurred an outburst of general missionary zeal and activity.”

He is speaking of the last years of the eighteenth century, leading to the nineteenth century, to 1844, and beyond. “Beginning in Great Britain, it soon spread to the Continent and across the Atlantic. It was no mere push of fervour, but a mighty tide set in, which from that day to this has been steadily rising and spreading.”

Another account states: “In 1804 the British and Foreign Bible Society was organised. Students of the prophetic word felt at the time that these agencies were coming in fulfilment of the prophecy.” (Our Day in the Light of Prophecy, Spicer, p. 308.)

This was a direct reference to the prophecy of Christ that He would return when His gospel was preached everywhere in the world.

Before 1804, the Bible had already been printed and circulated in fifty languages. In 1816 the American Bible Society was formed. George Storrs in the newspaper, Midnight Cry, on 4 May 1843, stated that these two societies (British and American) with their innumerable branches were spreading the Gospel of Christ in every part of the world.

G. S. Faber in Eight Dissertations, which was completed in the very year of greatest prophetic fervour, 1844, declares: “The stupendous endeavours of one gigantic community to convey the Scriptures in every language to every part of the globe may well deserve to be considered as an eminent sign even of these eventful times. Unless I be much mistaken, such endeavours are preparatory to the final grand diffusion of Christianity, which is the theme of so many inspired prophets, and which cannot be far distant in the present day.’

M. H. Goyer writes in his book on prophetic fulfilment: “The British and Foreign Bible Society (for one example) has issued, since its foundation in1804, over 421 million copies of the Scriptures, in practically every country known throughout the globe.”

In Our Day in the Light of Prophecy, Spicer wrote that the Gospel in his day had been spread ‘to ninety-five per cent of the inhabitants of the earth.’ He added: “It was in 1842 that five treaty-ports in China were open to commerce and to missions—advance steps in the opening of all China to the Gospel. In 1844 Turkey was prevailed upon to recognise the right of the Moslems to become Christians, reversing all Moslem tradition. In 1844 Alan Gardiner established the South American Mission. In 1842 Livingstone’s determination was formed to open the African interior.”

Dr A. T. Pierson in Modern Mission Century wrote: “India, Siam, Burma, China, Japan, Turkey, Africa, Mexico, South America … were successively and successfully entered. Within five years, from 1853 to 1858, new facilities were given to the entrance and occupation of seven different countries, together embracing half the world’s population.”

There were many additional references which made it clear that the Gospel of Christ, and its teachers, had entered every continent by the year 1844, spreading the Word of Jesus the Christ throughout the world.

This was considered by the students of Scripture to be in exact fulfilment of the words of Christ given in Mark:

“And the gospel must first be published among all nations.” (Mark 13:10)

In this same chapter, Christ warns that when this takes place: “Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.” (Mark 13:33)

When this Gospel is published in all nations, Christ again promises:

“… then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.” (Mark 13:26)

The millennial scholars of the 1840s felt that Christ’s first promise had been fulfilled. They felt it had been clearly demonstrated that the Gospel of Christ had been ‘preached in all the world for a witness’ and, therefore, the hour for His coming must now be at hand.

I was convinced myself that the first promise of Christ had indeed been fulfilled by the year 1844. There could be no doubt of this.

It was an interesting beginning.

From: http://bahai-library.com/pdf/s/sears_thief_night.pdf

TrueBeliever37

No,no, that is not how it works .
You made mention of ( every eye will see Jesus at his return)
So I ask you, how is it possible for every eye to see Jesus at his return .

So the ball is in your court, to give the answer.

There is a resurrection of the just and the unjust, when he returns. That's how it is possible.