• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophecy and Poetry

Fascist Christ

It is my belief, which I seek to justify here, that the word "prophet" comes from the ancient equivalent to "poet" and thus the ancient prophets were no different than the poets of today.

With the majority of the people being illiterate, verbal story telling was the norm. As a poem, a band of prophets could make the story a little more exciting by using instruments. This is very much like the prophets of today.

Over the course of several millenia, the concept of a prophet has evolved to mean something that has never existed, ie: a messenger from a god. Though I do believe in divine inspirtation, it is not in such a supernatural manner. I believe that any inspiration from the observation or study of Creation is divine inspiration, albeit indirectly.

I have chosen to place this under "Religious Media" since I am speaking here primarily of musicians. I will provide examples for educational purposes.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
I can buy that. In Norse Traditions, our Skalds wrote most of our "scripture", they were poets and storytellers. In fact, a skald who could resite the accomplishments of heroes and kings would find a great deal of honor, doing little else unless called to fight.

Fascist Christ

For my first example, I will use one that was specifically designed with a story in mind. The prophet Ronnie James Dio released an album called Magica, or should I call it "The Book of Magica." Within this book are several songs, I mean "chapters" with several verses in each chapter. The final chapter is actually the full length story, spoken as prose. For this matter, I shall direct your attention to the chapter concerning Eriel.

Thus spake Eriel:

"Now that my dreams have gone dead, I see them burning in the fire."
As much as literalists would love to contort this to mean something regarding the idea of a hell, it is obviously just a description of an emotion with the use of imagery.

"Just like the words that I've said: ashes turned to ashes once again."
We could easily claim that this prophecy is biblical, as that is where the phrase comes from. However, in this application he is describing the circle of life, which rightly denies a rebirth or afterlife. In reference to the dreams, he is left now with what he began: nothing.

"Look for a sign in the air - a light that dances in the sky. Maybe you'll see it somewhere, shining like a diamond, promising that hope will never die."
This obviously has some resemblence to the Christian story of Jesus' birth. This could be distorted into meaning something of a similar nature, that he is predicting the coming of a savior. However, there is some truth to that. It is not divine, as he and the "savior" are quite human. It is not a prediction, but rather a promise of intention. It is not really a foretelling, as he has already taken steps to ensure it. This becomes more clear later. The reason for drawing attention to the stars for hope is because he has nothing physical to offer as proof of his promise.

"I might know the answer. Well, it's back there in my brain."
This shows that he does in fact know something that he is not completely disclosing. That is, the actual means for accomplishing his goal.

"Someday soon I'll be rising again, higher than the sun."
Once again, sounds like a Jesus prophecy. However, he does not mean that he will come back from the dead. Instead, he is stating that his mission will be completed by someone else, who could not have done it without him. This is also hinted at with the word "sun" followed up with:

"I have been father and son."
Yes! Eriel has a son! This is imporatant because, according to the story, he has never met his son, until they were both captured for execution.

"I cry for children of the night."
Even the creatures of the night have children. Being a father, and knowing the consequences of his actions, it is hard to not feel remorse when even the young evil ones will be destroyed.

"Just because tears have begun, beware of quiet voices. Thunder comes from silence - I am light."
Here is the prediction, or intention, of somewhat of a surprise. To say that he is the "light" in this analogy makes him like lightning. Just as we can be sure of thunder after the lightning is gone, so can we be sure that his death is not the end of his mission. Also, like thunder comes from lightning, a son also comes from his father. So, it is reasonable to say that, since Eriel is the light, his son is the thunder.

"Look for a sign, is it me? No, don't believe with only eyes. Speak to the blind because they see truth is just a circle, spinning round until it meets the lies - then dies."
He concludes with some general words of wisdom. Lies can destroy the truth, but the truth is otherwise consistent and eternal. How this relates to the rest of it, I'm not sure.