• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof that Jesus lived?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Victor said:
One example can be seen in the book of Acts. Paul and Barnabas got into sharp dispute about circumcision of believers. A group called the Judaizers wanted to circumcise believers and Barnabas sided with them. This is one example of him wanting to stick to a Judaic flavor.
Thank you.

Victor said:
It would not be odd to expect the writers of the Bible to leave out the "annual Passover prisoner release" when put in their situation, they would probably not want to be released. They tried to avoid celebrating on the same day as the Jews. The Sabbath is a good example of that.
What are you talking about. The problem is not the the prisoner release was left out of the Bible, but that this "custom" is addressed nowhere else.

And this would have been no minor act. The Temple was massive. Thousands upon thousands would have flowed in during Pesach. And in the midst of these thousands, in the context of recurring unrest and hostility towards Rome, in the midst of all the pomp and ritual surrounding the Passover, a single prisoner was to be released. And we read nothing about this in Josephus, nothing about this in Philo, nothing about this in Justus, nothing about this in the Talmud, nothing about this anywhere.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jayhawker Soule said:
And this would have been no minor act. The Temple was massive. Thousands upon thousands would have flowed in during Pesach. And in the midst of these thousands, in the context of recurring unrest and hostility towards Rome, in the midst of all the pomp and ritual surrounding the Passover, a single prisoner was to be released. And we read nothing about this in Josephus, nothing about this in Philo, nothing about this in Justus, nothing about this in the Talmud, nothing about this anywhere.
Sorry I misunderstood you...:eek: . Thanks for the correction..

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
By the way, just in case folks are not already aware of this, I am far from insisting upon a mythical Jesus. In fact, I suspect that there was such a person. I simply doubt that the Gospels tell us anything reliable about him.

A

angellous_evangellous

Jayhawker Soule said:
By the way, just in case folks are not already aware of this, I am far from insisting upon a mythical Jesus. In fact, I suspect that there was such a person. I simply doubt that the Gospels tell us anything reliable about him.
Well we're on the same page.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jayhawker Soule said:
For what it's worth, I understood you in that context.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I would think the Son of God (or God himself, whichever branch of Christianity you'd like to tamper with) would put more evidence out of his existance than a few tampered documents and biased religious doctorines... After all, faith shouldn't just come out of desire...

Historians don't question the existance of Muhammad, Buddha, Alexandra, and other "big names", which leads me to think that something about his existance is flawed.

Heck, I'm under the impression we have more proof about HOMER existing than a Jesus.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
What, in your opinion, is his strongest evidence ... and why?
Check back with me in a few days and I'll give you an answer. (Just started a new job. I've been busy)