• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of the Torah

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I share DNA and a religion with all other people who share a common history that links us with the nation that was living in the land of Israel. I don't think there is anyone that questions that.

The actual DNA relationship goes well beyond the Jews. Very very closely related are the Palestinian Arabs, and too close to all Arabs to easily define a separate race. See:The shared genetic heritage of Jews and Palestinians

The shared genetic heritage of Jews and Palestinians
January 20, 2009 by Epiphenom 193

The Times recently carried this unusual report on an Israeli Jew (Tsvi Misinai, a retired computer expert) who’s hoping to prove that Palestinians are descended from Jews. Apparently, he thinks that proving this will help to stop the bloodshed. His idea is that modern Jews are descended from emigration in the first few centuries of the Christian era. The Jews who stayed put in Palestine converted to Islam, and became Palestinian Arabs. There’s hope that genetic tests might be able to prove this.

Well, there is good news and bad news on that score. The good news is that the genetics of Arabs and Jews have been pretty extensively researched. The classic study dates to 2000, from a team lead by Michael Hammer of University of Arizona. They looked at Y-chromosome haplotypes – this is the genetic material passed from father to son down the generations.

What they revealed was that Arabs and Jews are essentially a single population, and that Palestinians are slap bang in the middle of the different Jewish populations (as shown in this figure).

Another team, lead by Almut Nebel at the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, took a closer look in 2001. They found that Jewish lineages essentially bracket Muslim Kurds, but they were also very closely related to Palestinians. In fact, what their analysis suggested was that Palestinians were identical to Jews, but with a small mix of Arab genes – what you would expect if they were originally from the same stock, but that Palestinians had mixed a little with Arab immigrants. They conclude:

We propose that the Y chromosomes in Palestinian Arabs and Bedouin represent, to a large extent, early lineages derived from the Neolithic inhabitants of the area and additional lineages from more-recent population movements. The early lineages are part of the common chromosome pool shared with Jews (Nebel et al. 2000). According to our working model, the more-recent migrations were mostly from the Arabian Peninsula…

So, as far as male lineage goes, the genetic story is very clear. Palestinians and Jews are virtually indistinguishable.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The actual DNA relationship goes well beyond the Jews. Very very closely related are the Palestinian Arabs, and too close to all Arabs to easily define a separate race. See:The shared genetic heritage of Jews and Palestinians

The shared genetic heritage of Jews and Palestinians
January 20, 2009 by Epiphenom 193

The Times recently carried this unusual report on an Israeli Jew (Tsvi Misinai, a retired computer expert) who’s hoping to prove that Palestinians are descended from Jews. Apparently, he thinks that proving this will help to stop the bloodshed. His idea is that modern Jews are descended from emigration in the first few centuries of the Christian era. The Jews who stayed put in Palestine converted to Islam, and became Palestinian Arabs. There’s hope that genetic tests might be able to prove this.

Well, there is good news and bad news on that score. The good news is that the genetics of Arabs and Jews have been pretty extensively researched. The classic study dates to 2000, from a team lead by Michael Hammer of University of Arizona. They looked at Y-chromosome haplotypes – this is the genetic material passed from father to son down the generations.

What they revealed was that Arabs and Jews are essentially a single population, and that Palestinians are slap bang in the middle of the different Jewish populations (as shown in this figure).

Another team, lead by Almut Nebel at the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, took a closer look in 2001. They found that Jewish lineages essentially bracket Muslim Kurds, but they were also very closely related to Palestinians. In fact, what their analysis suggested was that Palestinians were identical to Jews, but with a small mix of Arab genes – what you would expect if they were originally from the same stock, but that Palestinians had mixed a little with Arab immigrants. They conclude:

We propose that the Y chromosomes in Palestinian Arabs and Bedouin represent, to a large extent, early lineages derived from the Neolithic inhabitants of the area and additional lineages from more-recent population movements. The early lineages are part of the common chromosome pool shared with Jews (Nebel et al. 2000). According to our working model, the more-recent migrations were mostly from the Arabian Peninsula…

So, as far as male lineage goes, the genetic story is very clear. Palestinians and Jews are virtually indistinguishable.
Yes, I'm familiar with that study. It changes nothing though so long as they do not claim to be the people to whom G-d gave the Torah.

I for one have no problem with them making that claim and returning to Jewish practice.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, I'm familiar with that study. It changes nothing though so long as they do not claim to be the people to whom G-d gave the Torah.

I for one have no problem with them making that claim and returning to Jewish practice.

The point is not the claim of those who profess the practice and belief of Jewish practice, which may or not share a significant element in your DNA with all those who share the Jewish practice, but your claim of the DNA reflects this egocentric claim is false. The DNA and the Arabs who believe in Islam are closer in relation that cannot be distinguished by DNA from those that believe in the Jewish practice.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
The point is not the claim of those who profess the practice and belief of Jewish practice, which may or not share a significant element in your DNA with all those who share the Jewish practice, but your claim of the DNA reflects this egocentric claim is false. The DNA and the Arabs who believe in Islam are closer in relation that cannot be distinguished by DNA from those that believe in the Jewish practice.
It would be awesome id you could throw in an extra period in there, just to make what you're saying clear. I think you are reiterating that there are Palestinians who share the same DNA as Jews yet believe in Islam.

I'm not sure what the point you're getting at with this information is. These Muslims are not making the claim that the Torah was given to Muslims (I'd be surprised if they would even acknowledge a genetic relation to us). They would presumably agree that the Torah was given to Jews per the Quran - whether they accept that this includes their own Jewish ancestors or not.

What are you disagreeing with?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Even if that were so, that still grants Jews the better claim because Christians don't have that and Muslims don't claim that.
They do both agree that G-d gave Jews the Torah. So that means 3 of the three religions agree that G-d gave the Torah to the Jews. 1 out of 3 religions agree with what happened after that. That gives us the strongest claim. I share DNA and a religion with all other people who share a common history that links us with the nation that was living in the land of Israel. I don't think there is anyone that questions that. You can start with a logical reason why it shouldn't. And according to what the Book says in it... Sure I do. The Book itself says so.

It doesn't bother you that the Exodus story is fiction?

Middle eastern Jews and Muslims are of the same stock. What separates you from each other is only religious belief. Two brothers and a stolen birthright. I suppose it even makes sense in a tribal sort of way.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I just wanted to say that as muslims we believe that the Torah was revealed to Moses as a guidace to the jews also known as Beni Israeel(Children of Israeel).

And We certainly gave Moses the Scripture, so do not be in doubt over his meeting. And we made the Torah guidance for the Children of Israel.(32:23)

"And We gave Moses the Scripture and made it a guidance for the Children of Israel that you not take other than Me as Disposer of affairs," (17:2)

"And We had certainly given Moses guidance, and We caused the Children of Israel to inherit the Scripture" (40:53)

So how do Muslims view the story of Jacob and Esau?

Tumah

Veteran Member
It doesn't bother you that the Exodus story is fiction?
Really...?

Middle eastern Jews and Muslims are of the same stock. What separates you from each other is only religious belief. Two brothers and a stolen birthright. I suppose it even makes sense in a tribal sort of way.
If you go back far enough, we all are. But that's got nothing to do with anything.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Really...?

Pretty much accepted to be the case by most folks.
A good book on it is "The Bible Unearthed".

If you go back far enough, we all are. But that's got nothing to do with anything.

Just another reason to see religion as a source of division. Religion is not a legitimate excuse for anything really but certainly no excuse for how one treats their fellow man.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Pretty much accepted to be the case by most folks.
A good book on it is "The Bible Unearthed".
Unlike appeals to majority, I'm an Orthodox Jew.

Just another reason to see religion as a source of division. Religion is not a legitimate excuse for anything really but certainly no excuse for how one treats their fellow man.
I think you've lost the thread of discussion.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Which is why you haven't found me trying to convince anyone here about it.

Ok, not trying to convince anyone of your religious belief.

I guess that means you didn't get my point this whole time. Well, I tried.

If your point relies on religious belief that tends to happen.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If you read my argument, its been about what the Torah records. I haven't said very much about belief at all. My argument doesn't require belief that thw Torah was given by G-d.

Should we count the number of posts where you referred to God, or that you claimed only Judaism had any legitimate claim to the Torah. However the way your point continues to evolve I suppose you can claim whatever you wish.

I think my response to your first post was sufficient.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Should we count the number of posts where you referred to God,
In as much as the three religions believe in G-d, G-d is relevant. But I also explained way back that belief in G-d isn't necessary for my claim.
Whether G-d gave it to us or human authors wrote it, they made it clear who the intended recipients are.

Our claim is consistent with what is internally claimed by the Author or authors.

or that you claimed only Judaism had any legitimate claim to the Torah.
I still maintain that claim. I just haven't made it on strictly religious grounds.

However the way your point continues to evolve I suppose you can claim whatever you wish.
Has it?

I think my response to your first post was sufficient.
Had it been, we wouldn't still be here.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I would beg to differ.

Flooding the world and creating the world would have obviously taken more than that circle.

Also archeology shows that some events in the Torah probably where partially based on fact and others where not.
I would also beg to differ with the OP.

"Also archeology shows that some events in the Torah probably where partially based on fact and others where not."
Did Torah never claimed that it was a text-book of science? or a text-book of history? Please

To add to the above:

Is there proof that any event that is claimed to have happened in the times of Torah, by the eulogizers of science ( not claimed by science) in the times of Torah having actually happened?

The OP or those supporting OP's stance, in the first place to reflect on the above, please.
Others also not forbidden to comment, however. Please
Regards

Last edited: