• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of God's existence?

Acim

Revelation all the time
We're on a discussion forum.

How the heck, given this medium, do you expect proof to be given?

Well for some of us, it isn't only a matter of faith, but is also a matter of logic. An argument if you will.

But some of you (non-theists) don't want that, you want good old fashioned physical evidence. Physical proof. Like someone suggesting you study that tree near your house, and soon you too will see God in there. Not a god, the God. Or that person claiming to be God, or some followers of his claiming he is god (not a god, the God), go talk with him and he will convince you. Then you'll have your physical proof.

Is that what you are looking for? Cause anything short of that, and on a discussion forum is just not feasible. Just as say proof for global warming, is not feasible (really) if I am studying the 'evidence' while sitting at my computer. Pretty easy to refute the data if one is not observing it, and if one is prone to say, 'this is not convincing enough, I need more.'

Isn't the burden of what the proof looks like, and is within reason (of medium we are all congregated around) on those asking for proof?

Me, I say go within. Not in willy nilly, I'm going to deny whatever I experience, and only last 4 seconds before I say that's enough - sort of way. So, spend as much time within as you would have an uninitiated person study actual evidence of global warning before they can conclude, with reasonable conviction, one way or another, that the theory is valid (or not).

There are only about 10,000 resources / guides around to 'help you go within' and to understand what that means, what to look for, what you are substantiating, how you might know it is God, of (higher) Self, and so on and so forth. The means to find the evidence are plentiful, and once found / experienced, chances are you'll have own version of means, for how another could 'get there' to observe, discern, experiment, and draw conclusions from the experience, developing a theory. Thus you will likely have desire to share, even publish findings. Yeah, it works like that.

Unless it doesn't. Or more appropriately, unless it is not allowed to work that way. Due to insistence that burden of proof is forever on the ones making the claim, even if evidence, means for evidence, and theories of what evidence is telling us, have been provided. As long as game of denial can be played, then yes, proof may always have a short fall. Just as certain claims on say global warming can have short fall for those who need more convincing, regardless of evidence being provided. They can always resort to 'lack of belief' and be done with it, saying their not accepting it, and that is on you because you didn't provide convincing enough proof. That's your problem, not theirs.

Anyway, if there is debate on this thread to be had, it is around questions asked above such as:

- How on a discussion forum does one expect proof of God to be shown to them?
- How in the physical world would one expect proof of God to be given?
- Isn't the burden of what proof 'must be' on the one who is asking for said proof?
- Do you really think the means, the place to look, and the assistance in understanding theory are completely lacking? Given the over abundance of resources?
- If after finding 'evidence' and one who originally demanded it is still insisting it is not enough / they are not convinced, who's burden is that, really?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVIENIENCE written on a mountainside in 100ft high letters of flame would be acceptable as proof. :p
- Do you really think the means, the place to look, and the assistance in understanding theory are completely lacking? Given the over abundance of resources?
Yes. The resources are not consistent.

outhouse

Atheistically
There is proof ancient hebrews wrote about what they percieved as one of their gods.

There is no proof what lies in imagination, ever crosses into reality.

Isn't the burden of what proof 'must be' on the one who is asking for said proof?

NO

the one making claims of something extraordinary, need extraordinary evidence.

there will never be proof beyond imagination

How in the physical world would one expect proof of God to be given?

If there was a all powerfull sky daddy that so far the planet does not agree with at ALL

It would be evident

What is lacking is everything outside of imagination in my eyes.

If after finding 'evidence' and one who originally demanded it is still insisting it is not enough / they are not convinced, who's burden is that, really?

way to hypothetical

So far there is zero evidence.

All evidence at hand points to a new culture that needed a deity to worship and created many, of which one lasted as the culture moved to monotheism.

But when you say god maybe you could be more clear and say which god your talking about.

im assuming the abrahamic god and running with that.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
We're on a discussion forum.

It's possible. Why not? I do think, however, if there was ever absolute proof of a God, there would be no atheists.

How the heck, given this medium, do you expect proof to be given?

Sorry I mess up on my quoting, but my post above this quote was meant to answer this quote.

Well for some of us, it isn't only a matter of faith, but is also a matter of logic. An argument if you will.

Which logic?

But some of you (non-theists) don't want that,

you want good old fashioned physical evidence. Physical proof.

Indeed, what other proof would there be? There is no logic without evidence.

Like someone suggesting you study that tree near your house, and soon you too will see God in there. Not a god, the God. Or that person claiming to be God, or some followers of his claiming he is god (not a god, the God), go talk with him and he will convince you. Then you'll have your physical proof.

There is another form of physical proof. Similar to, God putting his hand down from the sky and saying I exist.

Is that what you are looking for?

Not most of us.

Cause anything short of that, and on a discussion forum is just not feasible. Just as say proof for global warming, is not feasible (really) if I am studying the 'evidence' while sitting at my computer. Pretty easy to refute the data if one is not observing it, and if one is prone to say, 'this is not convincing enough, I need more.'

Though if it is there you CAN observe it.

Isn't the burden of what the proof looks like, and is within reason (of medium we are all congregated around) on those asking for proof?

Not sure what you mean.

By showing news results or photographic evidence that can be observed and proven that it is not photoshopped, or maybe an equation set up mathematically, etc.

"Hello, I am God, with all my omnipotence I will snap my fingers and you'll know I exist."

- Isn't the burden of what proof 'must be' on the one who is asking for said proof?

Why would it be?

"Dude! I've got a hundred dollar bill!"

"Really show me!"

"No, you have to show me that I don't."

I think they are lacking for the moment at least

- If after finding 'evidence' and one who originally demanded it is still insisting it is not enough / they are not convinced, who's burden is that, really?

If there was evidence of something, and someone was rational enough, they would accept it. If they are irrational (most of us seeking evidence isn't) then the burden of proof is on them.

Landerage

Araknor
I truly think that everyone in this world felt the existence of a higher power before seeing anything in this world, but some don't want to believe that it exist even though this power wants to help with such persons no proof can do the job, because no matter what proof u get them they won't believe.
On the other hand some people sense the presence of god just with existence, so that means in a physical way that each person know they exist , then know they are created then know there is a creator. Then seeing things in the world, people who want to believe will see in simple things great solid proofs of god's existence, such as the water they drink and help them to survive. Add to this proof the idea that humans didn't create that water but it was there and linking with the previous idea can sense that god exist too. The more things u see the more linking u can do, till u reach a certain point to have a supreme belief. More ideas can be in the difference night/day, trees and plants growing fruits and vegetables etc.. Countless ideas that may be considered proof.
Now if we want to relate that to religion, I did found scientifical proof in terms of proven scientifically facts that were said in religious books well before they were proven, those might be counted as proves I can list a few for anyone who is interested to be enlightened. A person who needs a proof is someone who sense god's presence, but need more enlightenment however someone who don't want to believe and asks for proof, won't ever believe as I have figured in a personal opinion.

outhouse

Atheistically
because no matter what proof u get them they won't believe.

dead wrong, i have a open mind.

it just happens nothing outside of ancient text exist, beyond imagination.

Thousands of ancient culture invented gods, mankind has done this and recorded it along the way.

You have no problem discounting the evidence of all other religions and their deitys, but your own personal belief somehow has validity over all the rest. Weird thing is, you have the same lack of evidence and proof all of the failed religions and deity's possess.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

outhouse

Atheistically
Such certitude ... :D

If there really is a higher power.

I feel all peole of the planet would be on equal footing.

there would be no special chosen people, so to speak.

With the abrahamic god, I find it funny ancient hebrews created gods and ditched them as their culture changed. They were a new culture and within a few hundred years of having a new culture right when a deity was needed. It appeares in writing with other deitys now discarded.

It looks like ancient hebrews created their deity's as required for cultues of that time and place as needed.

Certain? yes through history im quite certain.

troutonthefly

I truly think that everyone in this world felt the existence of a higher power before seeing anything in this world, but some don't want to believe that it exist even though this power wants to help with such persons no proof can do the job, because no matter what proof u get them they won't believe.
On the other hand some people sense the presence of god just with existence, so that means in a physical way that each person know they exist , then know they are created then know there is a creator. Then seeing things in the world, people who want to believe will see in simple things great solid proofs of god's existence, such as the water they drink and help them to survive. Add to this proof the idea that humans didn't create that water but it was there and linking with the previous idea can sense that god exist too. The more things u see the more linking u can do, till u reach a certain point to have a supreme belief. More ideas can be in the difference night/day, trees and plants growing fruits and vegetables etc.. Countless ideas that may be considered proof.
Now if we want to relate that to religion, I did found scientifical proof in terms of proven scientifically facts that were said in religious books well before they were proven, those might be counted as proves I can list a few for anyone who is interested to be enlightened. A person who needs a proof is someone who sense god's presence, but need more enlightenment however someone who don't want to believe and asks for proof, won't ever believe as I have figured in a personal opinion.

I wonder... Is the Ebola virus proof of your god too?

outhouse

Atheistically
No - you have a mantra.

no not really.

show me something that could change my mind.

I have proven in this forum that my personal beliefs can and do change.

I started as a jesus myther so to speak and I know feel he very well was a real person that lived and was written about.

I have a open mind and all it needs is reality to steer it

Acim

Revelation all the time
You say, 'there's a god.' I ask, 'where?' You say, 'go find it yourself.' Nice work.

You want me to go within you and find it?

If okay with this, I'll find evidence. Just let me trespass into your mind and get that evidence I'm talking about. I'll only be in there about a year or so.

You won't
mind.

Acim

Revelation all the time
NO

the one making claims of something extraordinary, need extraordinary evidence.

You just demonstrated otherwise. You are saying for you, the evidence must be extraordinary. Hence the reason you get evidence that amounts to "Word of God is the Bible because the Bible says so." Ask for extraordinary evidence and you get it. Ask for normal, reasonable evidence, and that can be provided as well. Be as specific as possible about what evidence would truly work for you, and perhaps that will be provided. Depends, I think, on how honest you are being.

there will never be proof beyond imagination

Again, demonstrating bias. Apparently objective evidence isn't even a little possible for you. Your mind is made up, yes?

If there was a all powerfull sky daddy that so far the planet does not agree with at ALL

It would be evident

Evident how? Seems to me you are going after the models provided so far, not allowing for evidence that would actually work for you.

Think you that I cannot rip a new one in scientific models of reality? Expose them for the mind made fiction that they are? And then, as you, I'll conclude that there is no evidence of what these models are referring to, so I'm not even going to look.

What is lacking is everything outside of imagination in my eyes.

There is only about 3 ways to read / understand that assertion. I agree, everything outside of us appears to be lacking.

Again though, it really does read like your mind is made up. Not as if you are one who 'lacks a belief,' or something like that, but instead one who is convinced that outside of imagination, there can be no God, and imagination equals bad bad place for proof. Unless scientist is appealing to imagination with models that no one can observe in physical reality. Where is 'scientific method' found in physical nature, apart from mind made models? Oh, that's right, it doesn't exist (except in imagination).

All evidence at hand points to a new culture that needed a deity to worship and created many, of which one lasted as the culture moved to monotheism.

But when you say god maybe you could be more clear and say which god your talking about.

im assuming the abrahamic god and running with that.

I am talking about God of your understanding. Do not be overly surprised if this has some / a lot of overlap with current concepts / models for God.

Btw, I like your preconceived notions of "all evidence" and "I'm assuming." Helps expose your actual position, rather than the one you might pass off as, how you say, default position.

Acim

Revelation all the time
no not really.

show me something that could change my mind.

In a word, Reason.

Go within as Reason as your Guide. Spend a good 15 minutes there, earnestly seeking for wisdom, perhaps peace, perhaps even divinity of Self. Do not let Reason slip away from you, but the caveat is you must let reason of physical existence slip away. As soon as mind is no longer preoccupied with physical events, things, notions, then 15 minutes starts. If thought of physical something or other slips in, that is a 'time out' and 15 minute time frame is extended. So, perhaps you are sitting in stillness for 80 days by time it is all said and done. Maybe we ought to start you off at 3 minutes. Just be sure to say, as affirmatively as makes sense for you, "I do this with Reason as my Guide."

I have a open mind and all it needs is reality to steer it

If this is accurate, then the process I described above will be, how you say, easy for you to adapt.

I'm not saying you'll get divine realization(s) from first attempt, but you could. If you did something in vein of this exercise daily over course of 90 days, allowing for nuance in 'what is it I'm looking for' or looking with (as Guide), I think divine realization dawning on 'open mind' is very likely. In mind that is made up, and pretty sure this 'going within' stuff is crap, waste of time, got more important physical things to accomplish, then I would say 90 day trial would be unlikely to provide divine realization, while other benefits would be likely.

outhouse

Atheistically
You just demonstrated otherwise. You are saying for you, the evidence must be extraordinary. Hence the reason you get evidence that amounts to "Word of God is the Bible because the Bible says so." Ask for extraordinary evidence and you get it. Ask for normal, reasonable evidence, and that can be provided as well. Be as specific as possible about what evidence would truly work for you, and perhaps that will be provided. Depends, I think, on how honest you are being.

Again, demonstrating bias. Apparently objective evidence isn't even a little possible for you. Your mind is made up, yes?

Evident how? Seems to me you are going after the models provided so far, not allowing for evidence that would actually work for you.

Think you that I cannot rip a new one in scientific models of reality? Expose them for the mind made fiction that they are? And then, as you, I'll conclude that there is no evidence of what these models are referring to, so I'm not even going to look.

There is only about 3 ways to read / understand that assertion. I agree, everything outside of us appears to be lacking.

Again though, it really does read like your mind is made up. Not as if you are one who 'lacks a belief,' or something like that, but instead one who is convinced that outside of imagination, there can be no God, and imagination equals bad bad place for proof. Unless scientist is appealing to imagination with models that no one can observe in physical reality. Where is 'scientific method' found in physical nature, apart from mind made models? Oh, that's right, it doesn't exist (except in imagination).

I am talking about God of your understanding. Do not be overly surprised if this has some / a lot of overlap with current concepts / models for God.

Btw, I like your preconceived notions of "all evidence" and "I'm assuming." Helps expose your actual position, rather than the one you might pass off as, how you say, default position.

despite all your circular ramblings, you bring nothing to the table that brings god into reality from one's imagination.

what part of zero evidence do you not understand?

The question is about proof. There is none.

outhouse

Atheistically
In a word, Reason.

Go within as Reason as your Guide. Spend a good 15 minutes there, earnestly seeking for wisdom, perhaps peace, perhaps even divinity of Self. Do not let Reason slip away from you, but the caveat is you must let reason of physical existence slip away. As soon as mind is no longer preoccupied with physical events, things, notions, then 15 minutes starts. If thought of physical something or other slips in, that is a 'time out' and 15 minute time frame is extended. So, perhaps you are sitting in stillness for 80 days by time it is all said and done. Maybe we ought to start you off at 3 minutes. Just be sure to say, as affirmatively as makes sense for you, "I do this with Reason as my Guide."

If this is accurate, then the process I described above will be, how you say, easy for you to adapt.

I'm not saying you'll get divine realization(s) from first attempt, but you could. If you did something in vein of this exercise daily over course of 90 days, allowing for nuance in 'what is it I'm looking for' or looking with (as Guide), I think divine realization dawning on 'open mind' is very likely. In mind that is made up, and pretty sure this 'going within' stuff is crap, waste of time, got more important physical things to accomplish, then I would say 90 day trial would be unlikely to provide divine realization, while other benefits would be likely.

You dont understand, the bible is a great guide.

It is one of the best books I have ever read.

That doesnt bring its pages into reality or give it a ounce of divinity.