• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of God

joelr

No, because it is not based on real story. Mephisto was fictional character. Fictional characters are not out there.

Exactly. The OT is a collection of Mesopotamian rewritten myths. Satan was an agent of Yahweh not ruler of Hell. That came later when the Hebrews were influenced by another fictional story from the Persians,

"During the Second Temple Period, when Jews were living in the Achaemenid Empire, Judaism was heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism, the religion of the Achaemenids.[26][8][27] Jewish conceptions of Satan were impacted by Angra Mainyu,["

Yahweh is a character in stories. Horns coming out of his hands? He is fiction.
The Book of Habakkuk
CHAPTER 3
God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
And his brightness was as the light; he had horns coming out of his hand: and there was the hiding of his power.
Before him went the pestilence, and burning coals went forth at his feet.
He stood, and measured the earth: he beheld, and drove asunder the nations; and the everlasting mountains were scattered, the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.

Enuma Elish - The Babylonian Epic of Creation - Full Text

Genesis/Enuma Elish

The Enuma Elish would later be the inspiration for the Hebrew scribes who created the text now known as the biblical Book of Genesis. Prior to the 19th century CE, the Bible was considered the oldest book in the world and its narratives were thought to be completely original. In the mid-19th century CE, however, European museums, as well as academic and religious institutions, sponsored excavations in Mesopotamia to find physical evidence for historical corroboration of the stories in the Bible. These excavations found quite the opposite, however, in that, once cuneiform was translated, it was understood that a number of biblical narratives were Mesopotamian in origin.

Famous stories such as the Fall of Man and the Great Flood were originally conceived and written down in Sumer, translated and modified later in Babylon, and reworked by the Assyrians before they were used by the Hebrew scribes for the versions which appear in the Bible.

Both Genesis and Enuma Elsih are religious texts which detail and celebrate cultural origins: Genesis describes the origin and founding of the Jewish people under the guidance of the Lord; Enuma Elish recounts the origin and founding of Babylon under the leadership of the god Marduk. Contained in each work is a story of how the cosmos and man were created. Each work begins by describing the watery chaos and primeval darkness that once filled the universe. Then light is created to replace the darkness. Afterward, the heavens are made and in them heavenly bodies are placed. Finally, man is created.

Someone made up Mephisto and someone made up Satan based on earlier rulers of darkness in the underworlds of other religions. None being real.

samtonga43

The satan knows God, but satan is not theist/believer. To believe in God means to believe God, to follow Him.
Why not try to answer my question?
Once again:
"As I indicated previously, surely you agree that if God is proven to exist, every person would believe in His existence. If you do not agree, why not?"

samtonga43

Why not try to answer my question?
Once again:
"As I indicated previously, surely you agree that if God is proven to exist, every person would believe in His existence. If you do not agree, why not?"
I do not understand what it means. Try to rewrite it.
I'm not sure I can put it more simply. Let's try this: Please try to define 'proof'. Also, what do you mean when you use the word 'proof'?

questfortruth

Please try to define 'proof'. Also, what do you mean when you use the word 'proof'?
A proof is sufficient evidence or a sufficient argument for the truth of a proposition.[1][2][3][4]

The concept applies in a variety of disciplines,[5] with both the nature of the evidence or justification and the criteria for sufficiency being area-dependent. In the area of oral and written communication such as conversation, dialog, rhetoric, etc., a proof is a persuasive perlocutionary speech act, which demonstrates the truth of a proposition.[6] In any area of mathematics defined by its assumptions or axioms, a proof is an argument establishing a theorem of that area via accepted rules of inference starting from those axioms and from other previously established theorems.[7] The subject of logic, in particular proof theory, formalizes and studies the notion of formal proof.[8] In some areas of epistemology and theology, the notion of justification plays approximately the role of proof,[9] while in jurisprudence the corresponding term is evidence,[10] with "burden of proof" as a concept common to both philosophy and law.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
As I indicated previously, questfortruth, surely you agree that if God is proven to exist, every person would believe in His existence. If you do not agree, why not?

Well, to be fair here, do you consider it proven that earth is spherical?
Still there are flat earthers.

As with everything, you'll always have people who'll deny the obvious.
In the almost unconceivable world where gods are proven to be real, I'm sure there would be non-believers just like we today have flat earthers.

samtonga43

Well, to be fair here, do you consider it proven that earth is spherical?
Still there are flat earthers.

As with everything, you'll always have people who'll deny the obvious.
In the almost unconceivable world where gods are proven to be real, I'm sure there would be non-believers just like we today have flat earthers.
Yes, I see what you mean. But I'm wondering if those who deny proof (like
flat-earthers), are too crazy, or too stupid, to recognize proof.

Kharisym

Yes, I see what you mean. But I'm wondering if those who deny proof (like
flat-earthers), are too crazy, or too stupid, to recognize proof.

This is complete conjecture on my part, but while I do agree there are some people who are flat earthers due to psychological problems, and there are some who are flat earthers because of indoctrination, I think that a large majority of people are flat earthers out of a sense of feeling good for being 'in the know'. Let's be honest, if you know a thing that the majority of people are (in your perspective) too stupid to grasp, it can feel good. In these cases the evidence doesn't matter, its the endorphin hit.

samtonga43

This is complete conjecture on my part, but while I do agree there are some people who are flat earthers due to psychological problems, and there are some who are flat earthers because of indoctrination, I think that a large majority of people are flat earthers out of a sense of feeling good for being 'in the know'. Let's be honest, if you know a thing that the majority of people are (in your perspective) too stupid to grasp, it can feel good. In these cases the evidence doesn't matter, its the endorphin hit.
Well, thanks for this. It seems to me that these people are not just ignoring the evidence, but are really showing their deep distrust of scientists and science itself.