• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of Existence

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
Earthling wanted to prove the existence of the soul. Let's start with something much simpler.

Prove to me that you are not a bot.

I will quote those responses I find interesting.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Earthling wanted to prove the existence of the soul. Let's start with something much simpler.

I don't think a bot would be programed to respond with a nonsensical response.

Like if I were to call you a "wertney-spot".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I liken myself to be more akin as a mech rather than a bot.

When it really comes down to it, we're nothing more than a community of individual cells working together and operating an organic machine.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Actually, it would be easy to get a bot to respond with a nonsensical word like 'wertney-spot'.
Harder to make another bot identify the nonsense name, and then write a post like this one referring to wertney-spot in context, but still possible.

To pass this Turing test is increasingly difficult in any simple manner, but if you asked me a very specific and quirky question I could then respond to effectively that might do it.

But then, the issues are;
1) you might be the bot, not me!
2) I might not know the reference or answer. Saying 'What?' would sound suspicious. So maybe a series of quirky questions??

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I cannot be that of which I am aware.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ok.

Am I a bot or am I not a bot?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If I were a practicing solipsist, I would assert that you are all figments of my imagination.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The proof would be multiple coincidences, multiple serendipities.

The more coincidences or serendipities, the more likely that I am not a bot.

Basically, we would need to get to know each other. Trade stories, tell each other jokes, share weird ideas we've had. And eventually, if we are lucky ( assuming you believe in luck ), it won't take too long for the likelihood that I am a bot would diminish under layer after layer of improbable coincidences.

Here's an example: You and I actually had the same idea about how to prove bot-status. But we approached it from different perspectives.

Take a look at this thread: Does A.I. have limits?

It was created before you joined.

And I was honestly thinking at the time about the Terminator movies, where the dogs were used to distinguish between the bots and the humans.

When I created the thread above, I was thinking: In the context of AI, how will be be able to tell the difference if they were biologically identical and dogs wouldn't work. Or if the AI had no biological form and only existed within the digital framework. If I can find the limits of AI, that would be a way to test for AI-ish-ness. Does that make sense?

Anyways... regarding testing for Bot-i-tude; Here's the list i've come up with.

How to tell AI from Human?

Humans suspend disbelief
Humans have fun
Humans forget, remember, and are surprised

I am not sure how AI can replicate these things effectively.
But I am not sure how humans could test for these with 100% certainty either.

Am I close?

After reading this, what's your confidence I am not a Bot?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

I cannot be a bot because I really like pizza and beer. Bots do not like pizza and beer.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

The bottom half squares are the ones with the street signs...there are you now satisfied I'm not a robot.

google-recaptcha-turing-test.jpg

BSM1

What? Me worry?

If I were a bot I would, of course, tell you I wasn't, so I'm telling you that I am thus proving that I am not.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
May I point out that any correct answer provided is only good once.

Just once. After that...

{ looking left and right suspiciously }

shhhhhhh

the Google knows...

But for the record. I win. I am not a Bot.

Humans are super-duper arrogant.