• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pronunciation of the word "Celt"/"Celtic"

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
As far as I know, the word "sceptic" and its variants share the same fate and have the the first C pronounced /K/. "Skeptic" spelling is used in North America to avoid this %#$%@#$% :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't think it matters how it's pronounced, a person could get the point either way.

Actually, if I hadn't known 'keltic' is a pronunciation for Celtic I probably would be confused by hearing it, because whenever i hear people say 'keltic' I keep imagining Scotish dresses.

EyeofOdin

I don't think it matters how it's pronounced, a person could get the point either way.

Actually, if I hadn't known 'keltic' is a pronunciation for Celtic I probably would be confused by hearing it, because whenever i hear people say 'keltic' I keep imagining Scotish dresses.

Hahaha kilts? (not "silts" xD)

Kirran

Premium Member
I grew up in a Celtic country, and in both Welsh and English I've always heard it pronounced with a hard C. I've heard Seltic in reference to some sports team, not sure in what sport.