• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Project Conversion book

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Hi. Has anyone read the book "Project Conversion" by Andrew Bowen? He tries different religions every month for a year. I am thinking of trying something like that. Sounds fun and interesting.

Terry Sampson

From Andrew Bowen | Project Conversion
"Andrew Bowen, once a fervent enemy of religion, is now a enthusiastic Catholic and champion for inter-religious peace and renewal of faith in the lives of his fellow Catholics."

Sharpen your swords and bring your guns, Atheists, anti-Christians, and anti-Catholics. We're expecting trouble. :D

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Hi. Has anyone read the book "Project Conversion" by Andrew Bowen? He tries different religions every month for a year. I am thinking of trying something like that. Sounds fun and interesting.
There is NO WAY you are going to get an inkling of Judaism in a month. I would at least enroll in the synagogue's introduction to Judaism course. Most synagogues have this. It usually lasts somewhere like six months. Immerse yourself in eating kosher, keeping Shabbat (including having Shabbat table) and attending prayers and Torah study. Read up on Jewish history. Spend time with Jewish families. Do all of this for six months and at least you'll have an idea what Judaism is all about.

Terry Sampson

There is NO WAY you are going to get an inkling of Judaism in a month.

So does that mean that you're not going to promote:

Screenshot_2019-10-27 Judaism For Dummies -.png

:D

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
There is NO WAY you are going to get an inkling of Judaism in a month. I would at least enroll in the synagogue's introduction to Judaism course. Most synagogues have this. It usually lasts somewhere like six months. Immerse yourself in eating kosher, keeping Shabbat (including having Shabbat table) and attending prayers and Torah study. Read up on Jewish history. Spend time with Jewish families. Do all of this for six months and at least you'll have an idea what Judaism is all about.

It was a really shallow look at the religions. It could have been so much more.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

So too with Hinduism. I've been at it over 40 years as an adoptive, and know very little. I'd say 6 months is not nearly enough, but yes better than 1 month to be sure.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Brings a few thoughts to mind. There are so many aspects to such an endeavour.

Word has it that anthropologists living among native people tend to adopt their beliefs sincerely, if usually temporarily.

On the other hand, being raised under a certain faith tends to create indelible references, at least in language, even if one leaves the faith entirely at some point and was never a believer as such.

In some senses learning a faith is not quite unlike learning a language. You may not succeed at all, but if you do it is never going to leave you entirely.

Then again, it has become increasingly clear that while beliefs are very individual, religious practice is mainly social in nature.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So too with Hinduism. I've been at it over 40 years as an adoptive, and know very little. I'd say 6 months is not nearly enough, but yes better than 1 month to be sure.
I absolutely believe you. I've read about Hinduism, and I would say my understanding is that of a three year old. I would never say to someone that I understand the religion. There's one or two points that I find very interesting. But Hinduism is deep and complex. I imagine that most Hindus feel similar to you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I absolutely believe you. I've read about Hinduism, and I would say my understanding is that of a three year old. I would never say to someone that I understand the religion. There's one or two points that I find very interesting. But Hinduism is deep and complex. I imagine that most Hindus feel similar to you.
Not only is it deep and complex, it's vast. So many schools. Most folks stick with one school and do get a grasp of that one school. The old adage of 20 wells 1 foot deep, or 1 well 20 feet deep applies. But the main problem is it isn't an intellectual school, so books just can't take you far at all.