• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Progressive baptism

Kemosloby

Premium Member
According to the examples of baptism in the bible, baptism is a 4 part progression symbolizing mans return to God.

Step 1. Baptism with water, baptism of repentence from sin.

Step 2 Baptism into the name Jesus, learning the name of the Savior Jesus, and following him.

Step 3 Baptism with the Holy Ghost, laying on of hands to recieve the power of the Holy Spirit

Step 4 Baptism of the Father, death and resurrection to eternal life, complete death of sin and desire to sin.

omega2xx

According to the examples of baptism in the bible, baptism is a 4 part progression symbolizing mans return to God.

Step 2 Baptism into the name Jesus, learning the name of the Savior Jesus, and following him.

Step 3 Baptism with the Holy Ghost, laying on of hands to recieve the power of the Holy Spirit

Step 4 Baptism of the Father, death and resurrection to eternal life, complete death of sin and desire to sin.

Water baptism is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Done at the same time, not separately. Water baptism is a public testimony to all present that you have given you life to Jesus because something has happened in your life. It does not save

The baptism of the Holy Spirit comes when we understand the gospel of our salvation(Eph 1:13). It is the "one baptism of Eph 4:5 and the one that does save, and it saved forever(Eph 4:30).

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Water baptism is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Done at the same time, not separately. Water baptism is a public testimony to all present that you have given you life to Jesus because something has happened in your life. It does not save

The baptism of the Holy Spirit comes when we understand the gospel of our salvation(Eph 1:13). It is the "one baptism of Eph 4:5 and the one that does save, and it saved forever(Eph 4:30).

Not in the Bible. I suggest you examine the acts of baptism in the bible and see if they conform to your idea of baptism.

omega2xx

Not in the Bible. I suggest you examine the acts of baptism in the bible and see if they conform to your idea of baptism.

I have, they do. I offered Scripture, except for the purpose of water baptism. I suggest you find fault with the verses I posted.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I have, they do. I offered Scripture, except for the purpose of water baptism. I suggest you find fault with the verses I posted.

There is one baptism because we are all baptized into Jesus. Meaning Moses and the Israelites were all baptized into Christ. One Lord, One faith, One baptism But baptism itself is progressive, water baptism being the entry level, baptism for repentence of sin.

moorea944

Your wording is alittle different from scripture. Not really understanding what your writing. Baptisim is not a 4 part progression. That is your way of thinking.
Is that baptism for you? Repentence from sins is just part of it, but not the full picture. Read Romans 6
Now your changing things. Your adding something to make it into another step. Baptism is being baptised into the name of Jesus. Learning should come before baptism. Scripture tells us that it is always, knowledge first, then baptism.
Ghost is a translation error. Should be spirit. And laying on of hands? What is that?... Your not talking about laying of hands that the apostles did... That died out with the apostles. There are no Holy Spirit gifts like before now. We dont need that, we have the complete bible, which they didnt have.
Ok, this I'm having a problem with.... Baptism of the Father? Dont know what that is. Can you show verses here for your Step 4? The resurrection to life will not happen until Christ returns and judges. "Complete death to sin and desire to sin"? Are you saying that, that happens at baptism? I hope not... Will still sin and always will. That is our nature. At our Lord's coming, if we are found worthy at judgement, he will change us into immortal being, like the angels. Only then, will we be free from sin. When we die, we dont sin. But for now, since we are alive and mortal, we sin and desire to sin. That is human nature.
We fail God in two ways. We sin and we fail to manifest His charactor.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Your wording is alittle different from scripture. Not really understanding what your writing. Baptisim is not a 4 part progression. That is your way of thinking.

Is that baptism for you? Repentence from sins is just part of it, but not the full picture. Read Romans 6

Now your changing things. Your adding something to make it into another step. Baptism is being baptised into the name of Jesus. Learning should come before baptism. Scripture tells us that it is always, knowledge first, then baptism.

Ghost is a translation error. Should be spirit. And laying on of hands? What is that?... Your not talking about laying of hands that the apostles did... That died out with the apostles. There are no Holy Spirit gifts like before now. We dont need that, we have the complete bible, which they didnt have.

Ok, this I'm having a problem with.... Baptism of the Father? Dont know what that is. Can you show verses here for your Step 4? The resurrection to life will not happen until Christ returns and judges. "Complete death to sin and desire to sin"? Are you saying that, that happens at baptism? I hope not... Will still sin and always will. That is our nature. At our Lord's coming, if we are found worthy at judgement, he will change us into immortal being, like the angels. Only then, will we be free from sin. When we die, we dont sin. But for now, since we are alive and mortal, we sin and desire to sin. That is human nature.

Death and resurrection seem to be by the power of the Father, baptised into the Father, dying for Christ, die in Christ Everybody is going to die, and that's also the final leg of the Apostles journey So the final level of baptism could be persecuted and killed for righteousness sake. Like the Apostles did. And the beautitudes say "theirs is the kingdom of heaven" the highest reward..

Romans 6:4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

omega2xx

There is one baptism because we are all baptized into Jesus. Meaning Moses and the Israelites were all baptized into Christ. One Lord, One faith, One baptism But baptism itself is progressive, water baptism being the entry level, baptism for repentence of sin.

The baptism of he Holy Spirit is the only one that saves. Water baptism of an unbeliever does nothing but get someone wet.

Actually crossing he Red S is called being baptized into Moses(1 Cor 10:2). In that baptism the save did not have any water put on them but the unblievers did. :)

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The baptism of he Holy Spirit is the only one that saves. Water baptism of an unbeliever does nothing but get someone wet.

Actually crossing he Red S is called being baptized into Moses(1 Cor 10:2). In that baptism the save did not have any water put on them but the unblievers did. :)

It was foggy and the sea bed had puddles.

1 cor 10:2
They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Water baptism is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Done at the same time, not separately. Water baptism is a public testimony to all present that you have given you life to Jesus because something has happened in your life.
Got Scripture to back that up?

It does not save
According to Scripture, it is necessary for salvation (Mark 16:16), it washes away sins (Titus 3:5, Acts 2:38-42), makes us reborn (John 3:5, 2 Corinthians 5:17), frees us from bondage to sin and death (the entirety of Romans 6), and brings us into the Church which is the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13).

Yet nowhere in the New Testament is this called a baptism. The Holy Spirit comes upon people by confirmation/chrismation (the laying-on of hands in Acts 8:17).

I think Scripture disagrees with you heavily here, and I've explained why and where.

Last edited:

omega2xx

Got Scripture to back that up?

Eph 4:5 - One Lord, one faith, one baptism. Since there is only one baptism, it must be the one that saves.

If John's baptism saves, there is not need for Jesus;/ baptism. Water does not cause the sealing of the Holy spirit. That comes when one believes the gospel of their salvation(Eph 1:13). Until one is baptized with the Holy Spirit, they see no need for baptism. What we tgeah is foolishness to the natural man and he cannot understand it(I Cor 2:14)

According to Scripture, it is necessary for salvation (Mark 16:16), it washes away sins (Titus 3:5, Acts 2:38-42), makes us reborn (John 3:5, 2 Corinthians 5:17), frees us from bondage to sin and death (the entirety of Romans 6), and brings us into the Church which is the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13).

First, you assume every mention of baptism refers to water baptism. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit uses no water. It is done without hands like our spiritual circumcision is(Col 2:11). Second, water is a symbol for God word(Eph 5:26). It is God's word that cleanses us,not water(Jn 15:3). WE need our inside to be cleansed. That is where God looks for our compliance to what He says. Our outside gets dirty every day. Do you really think everyone who is baptized with water is saved?

The water in Jn 3:5 is God's word. The other verse you mention have nothing to do with baptism.

Yet nowhere in the New Testament is this called a baptism. The Holy Spirit comes upon people by confirmation/chrismation (the laying-on of hands in Acts 8:17).

In Acts 8:17, they had not been properly baptized because they had not been baptized by the Holy Spirit. Act 8:17 is correcting this. In fact it implies they were not saved because they were only baptized with water.

GreenKepi

Explain...then...1 Peter 3:20-21 for me...I read it to say that Baptism (immersion) is a necessary step for salvation. Even Acts 2:38 says for forgiveness of sins is a gift of the Spirit...and that it comes 'after' and 'not' before. Where it says, "In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water..." (?) Don't you think, it means the water cleansed the earth...and now water baptism does the same. Where it says, "It saves you..."...that means "Water"....

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe on step 4 you are referring to the baptism of fire although that could be metaphoric for Step 3. However maybe having tongues of fire over one's head is just symbolic for step 4.

At any rate I believe the steps get conjoined at times and maybe all four of them on the last day.

BTW I believe I repented of my sin received Jesus as my Lord and Savior and received the Holy Ghost without getting baptized in water. I only got baptized in water to obey Jesus.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe you are referring to this verse:
Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Even Paul recognizes that there is more than one baptism:
Acts 19:3 And he said, Into what then were ye baptized? And they said, Into John’s baptism.
4 And Paul said, John baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people that they should believe on him that should come after him, that is, on Jesus.
5 And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.

So I believe Paul was referring to the baptism into the name of Jesus as being the one baptism.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe that is false doctrine that has no foundation in truth.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I believe on step 4 you are referring to the baptism of fire although that could be metaphoric for Step 3. However maybe having tongues of fire over one's head is just symbolic for step 4.

At any rate I believe the steps get conjoined at times and maybe all four of them on the last day.

BTW I believe I repented of my sin received Jesus as my Lord and Savior and received the Holy Ghost without getting baptized in water. I only got baptized in water to obey Jesus.

Yeah, the steps don't always seem to be in order. And definitely seem to be a shadow of the last day.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I believe you are referring to this verse:
Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Even Paul recognizes that there is more than one baptism:
Acts 19:3 And he said, Into what then were ye baptized? And they said, Into John’s baptism.
4 And Paul said, John baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people that they should believe on him that should come after him, that is, on Jesus.
5 And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.

So I believe Paul was referring to the baptism into the name of Jesus as being the one baptism.

He was referring to the Jews before Jesus, that the Lord that led Moses was Jesus preincarnate. So he is saying there is only one Tree that people become part of, One Lord, One Faith and One Baptism meaning becoming part of that tree, the tree of Israel.

The Lord who led Moses was called the "bridegroom of blood", who else would it be than Jesus?

omega2xx

Explain...then...1 Peter 3:20-21 for me...I read it to say that Baptism (immersion) is a necessary step for salvation. Even Acts 2:38 says for forgiveness of sins is a gift of the Spirit...and that it comes 'after' and 'not' before. Where it says, "In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water..." (?) Don't you think, it means the water cleansed the earth...and now water baptism does the same. Where it says, "It saves you..."...that means "Water"....

First keep in mind that Eph 4:5 says there is only one baptism. John's baptism was man's baptism for repentance. If it saves, then Jesus's baptism of the Holy Spirit serves no purpose. Also one must be saved to repent.

Water symbolizes God's word(Eph 5:26).

Look at aPeter says---not the removal of the dirt(that which is outside) but the appeal to God for a good conscience(something inside of us). Noah was saved by the ark only incidently. He was actually saved by believe what God told him and then obeying it. The water(God's word), lifted him up[ off the corrupt world. Also According to Jh 15:3, God's word does cleanse us. It cleans up our inside, where the heart is and where David treasured God's word.

Acts 2:38 says we will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit ,k not salvation. Every Christians has at least one spiritual gift. We also have the guidance of the Holy Spirit so now we can understand spiritual truths.

GreenKepi

First keep in mind that Eph 4:5 says there is only one baptism. John's baptism was man's baptism for repentance. If it saves, then Jesus's baptism of the Holy Spirit serves no purpose. Also one must be saved to repent.

Water symbolizes God's word(Eph 5:26).

Look at aPeter says---not the removal of the dirt(that which is outside) but the appeal to God for a good conscience(something inside of us). Noah was saved by the ark only incidently. He was actually saved by believe what God told him and then obeying it. The water(God's word), lifted him up[ off the corrupt world. Also According to Jh 15:3, God's word does cleanse us. It cleans up our inside, where the heart is and where David treasured God's word.

Acts 2:38 says we will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit ,k not salvation. Every Christians has at least one spiritual gift. We also have the guidance of the Holy Spirit so now we can understand spiritual truths.

I've heard all of those arguments before...however, I used to believe the way you do...but, no longer. How can one "must be saved"...to repent? That doesn't make sense. In Ephesians there are 3 different baptisms found. But, some 30 years later it says one baptism...this means the others had served their purpose.

omega2xx

I've heard all of those arguments before...however, I used to believe the way you do...but, no longer. How can one "must be saved"...to repent?
Becaue the unsaved see no need for repentence. Wht we beleive is foolishness to them and the CANNOT unerstand it(I Cor 2:14).

That doesn't make sense. In Ephesians there are 3 different baptisms found. But, some 30 years later it says one baptism...this means the others had served their purpose.

There is on;y 1 baptism mentioned in Ephesians(4:5). The sealing in 1:13 is not a baptism and this sealing last forever(4:30).