• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems with Apostle Paul?

I keep reading in various places that people don't seem to like the apostle Paul or his writings. I haven't gotten that far into the bible yet. Can anyone tell me why there's so much dislike?

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
I keep reading in various places that people don't seem to like the apostle Paul or his writings. I haven't gotten that far into the bible yet. Can anyone tell me why there's so much dislike?

It is known that the apostles did not write the books of the Bible attributed to them. The supposed accounts where passed via word of mouth for a while before being written down in Greek.

danieldemol

Premium Member

It mainly comes about when people want to retrospectively ascribe things to Jesus.

Because Paul is one of the earliest sources of Christian doctrine if the views of the retrofitters don't align with Paul's they have to discredit Paul in order to argue their own views are that of original Christians.

It is known that the apostles did not write the books of the Bible attributed to them. The supposed accounts where passed via word of mouth for a while before being written down in Greek.

While that might be true for the Gospels, Paul is considered to be the genuine author of many of his epistles (although not all of them).

Many Muslims view him as having 'corrupted' the true message of Jesus.

I'd imagine that would be similar to other groups who are specifically hostile to Paul.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Can anyone tell me why there's so much dislike?
Paul contradicts Christ on at least 36 points, here is a list of some of them....

Here is a list of noble prize winners, and award winning theologians who have notice Paul is contradictory to Christ.

Unfortunately as the list shows, higher level IQ notice the inconsistencies with Paul; whereas the majority of Christians are taught Paul first.

Paul is a Pharisaic Jew thus Rabbinic Judaism doesn't notice how Paul is Anti-Christ's teachings either.

Baha'i have just accepted everyone's texts, without much scrutinization.

So it isn't a case of dislike, there are people who are analytical, that care to question what they're following, and then there are many sheeple, who don't pay the slightest bit of attention, even when they blatantly defile the Law in the process. :innocent:

omega2xx

Some people dislike Christian teachings, some hate it. These folks go out of their way to try and show it leaders to be bad people.

Paul is probably the most dogmatic writer in the Bible and I think he makes non-believers feel guilty. Just a guess.

Maybe some Paul haters will tell you why they dislike him.

omega2xx

It is not known that the apostles did not writhe the books of the Bible. It just can't be proved that they did. It seems logical they did since they knew Him the best.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its because in the past there have been some times when Christianity has fallen into disrepute through pogroms and evil actions undertaken by Christian governments or individuals. Some scholars have pointed to Paul as a corrupt (or corrupted) influence which has led to such tragedies. Other scholars say it is not Paul. In addition there are those who are impatient and look for opportunity to attack and point fingers. Paul is not the only suspect, but he is the focus of much attention.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
While that might be true for the Gospels, Paul is considered to be the genuine author of many of his epistles (although not all of them).

Is there archaeological backing for that or no?

Many Muslims view him as having 'corrupted' the true message of Jesus.

I'd imagine that would be similar to other groups who are specifically hostile to Paul.

As far as i know, archaeology suggests that Mark was written first and then Mathew and Luke where based on Mark and John used Mark, Mathew, Luke, and many of the non-canonical sources.

As far as I know, the writings attributed to Paul did not have any say in the three earlier gospels.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
It is not known that the apostles did not writhe the books of the Bible. It just can't be proved that they did. It seems logical they did since they knew Him the best.

It can be proven that they didn't.

The first copies of the books where written far past their lifetimes and in Greek. Not to mention that the gospels are known to build on each other.

Theologians and biblical historians have known this for years.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Paul contradicts Christ on at least 36 points, here is a list of some of them....

Here is a list of noble prize winners, and award winning theologians who have notice Paul is contradictory to Christ.

Unfortunately as the list shows, higher level IQ notice the inconsistencies with Paul; whereas the majority of Christians are taught Paul first.

Paul is a Pharisaic Jew thus Rabbinic Judaism doesn't notice how Paul is Anti-Christ's teachings either.

Baha'i have just accepted everyone's texts, without much scrutinization.

So it isn't a case of dislike, there are people who are analytical, that care to question what they're following, and then there are many sheeple, who don't pay the slightest bit of attention, even when they blatantly defile the Law in the process. :innocent:

But the four classical gospels contradict each other as well.

pearl

This is true, but I think it is trying to grasp Paul's theology that presents much of the difficultly.

pearl

The first copies of the books where written far past their lifetimes and in Greek. Not to mention that the gospels are known to build on each other.

Theologians and biblical historians have known this for years.

Has to do with the expectation of the Kingdom of God to be realized in their lifetime. Not until the death of the Apostles was there an awareness of the necessity of writing for future generations.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Some people dislike Christian teachings, some hate it. These folks go out of their way to try and show it leaders to be bad people.

Over the top! Critics of Paul do not consider him a bad person.

Paul is probably the most dogmatic writer in the Bible and I think he makes non-believers feel guilty. Just a guess.

More likely is Paul's strong endorsement of the 'Fall' and Original Sin' has made millions of Christians feel a useless and meaningless 'Guilt' for inheriting the 'Original Sin' since Adam and Eve for ~2,000 years

Maybe some Paul haters will tell you why they dislike him.

I most definitely critical of Paul, but I do not hate nor dislike him, You conflating extremes which is an unfortunate fallacy.

I will go more into my disagreements with Paul later.

omega2xx

It's based on textual analysis of the content and features of the texts. That and other historiographical aspects.

Paul's letters are basically his own thoughts on various issues regarding Jesus.

Actually what Paul wrote was not his own thoughts. They are what God inspired him to write.

James stainsby

he was very controversial. A jew who wanted gentiles to know Jesus/God. He wasn't well liked by the Disciples. Pheresis (spl?) hated him. he was arrogant. He got his marching orders from God, and had no use for "man" to tell him he was wrong... The list goes on.