• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems vs. Solutions and criticizing (e.g.), BLM

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is a remarkably racist post, IMHO.

You're strongly implying that if a white person has an idea to improve society they are dismissing everything from POC. Apparently you believe that white people are inherently immoral racists unless they agree with you.
Tom
I have no idea what post you think you're replying to, but it doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to the one I wrote.

Tambourine

There are many related sources, but one common originating influence is the idea of "intersectionality theory" (IT). IT can raise its head across many domains, and one of ITs ideas is that IT should supersede expertise in all of those domains.
As far as I know, intersectional theory has very little to do with the question of expertise.
Your response also does not address my question.

Whose expertise is being denied, and by whom?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
As far as I know, intersectional theory has very little to do with the question of expertise.
Your response also does not address my question.

Whose expertise is being denied, and by whom?

Well we might have to agree to disagree on this point. I see IT attacking expertise in many domains. The fact that you're not aware of it, isn't my problem. In other words, this feels like a LMGTFY request.

But here's a recent example. Not a perfect fit, but if you can zoom out a bit I hope you can see a pattern here:

Canceling Harvard's Steven Pinker Is Very Very Stupid | National Review

Open Letter to the LSA

Tambourine

Well we might have to agree to disagree on this point. I see IT attacking expertise in many domains.The fact that you're not aware of it, isn't my problem. In other words, this feels like a LMGTFY request.
I'm sorry, but communication can only happen as an exchange.

If you cannot name a single concrete example of what you want to discuss, and are seemingly only able to talk about it via oblique references that nobody but you understands, then I am going to question the utility of conducting this debate in the first place.

But here's a recent example. Not a perfect fit, but if you can zoom out a bit I hope you can see a pattern here:

Canceling Harvard's Steven Pinker Is Very Very Stupid | National Review

Open Letter to the LSA
So if people disagree with a scientist who is speaking outside his chosen field of research, they are denying his expertise?

Do you actually believe that we should uncritically trust the authority of people who are speaking on subjects outside their chosen fields of expertise?

icehorse

Premium Member
So if people disagree with a scientist who is speaking outside his chosen field of research, they are denying his expertise?

I have no problem with healthy disagreements, doh! But these folks are sanctimoniously calling to "cancel culture" him, to de-platform him.

As for expertise, the posts he's in trouble about were based on him doing basic, statistical research.

Tambourine

I have no problem with healthy disagreements, doh! But these folks are sanctimoniously calling to "cancel culture" him, to de-platform him.
And they have no power to actually follow through with any of this, because all of this is in the hands of the authorities at Havard, who, as far as I can tell, are not beholden to these "folks" in any shape or form.

As for expertise, the posts he's in trouble about were based on him doing basic, statistical research.
You mean, going off on statistics he's no expert in, on a topic he's had, to put it charitably, a passing familiarity with at best. Speaking publically as a scientist always carries greater weight than the average person's voice, due to the intrinsic authority we grant scientists in their chosen field, so I would argue that any scientist who is speaking publically ought to do so with responsibility.

icehorse

Premium Member
And they have no power to actually follow through with any of this, because all of this is in the hands of the authorities at Havard, who, as far as I can tell, are not beholden to these "folks" in any shape or form.

Missing the point. The folks calling to de-platform him should be ashamed to do so, whether or not they could make it happen. It's an anti-free-speech, sanctimonious action. And if they're not ashamed, we should shame them.

Instead, they should debate him, and let the best ideas win.

You mean, going off on statistics he's no expert in, on a topic he's had, to put it charitably, a passing familiarity with at best.

EVERY idea must be allowed to be scrutinized. full stop. He was merely questioning an earlier claim. Would it be your position that "some claims" made by "some people" are above questioning?

Tambourine

Missing the point. The folks calling to de-platform him should be ashamed to do so, whether or not they could make it happen. It's an anti-free-speech, sanctimonious action. And if they're not ashamed, we should shame them.

Instead, they should debate him, and let the best ideas win.
So this wasn't an issue about expertise to begin with?

EVERY idea must be allowed to be scrutinized. full stop. He was merely questioning an earlier claim. Would it be your position that "some claims" made by "some people" are above questioning?
It is factually true that not every forum is fit for every question and every debate. And it is factually true because we are debating in a forum that factually disallows certain topics and methods of debate. It follows from this factual truth, that even if every idea is to be scrutinized, it does not have to be scrutinized in every circumstance or every context, nor by every means available.

Last edited:

icehorse

Premium Member

It's not any false dilemma you might put forth. (I was going to say "it's not black and white", but we're probably going to have to retire that phrase now.)

Of course it is about expertise. And expertise comes in degrees. I'd bet you $100 that Pinker's grasp of statistics could be said to be at an "expert" level, certainly it exceeds most protestors' grasp.

But the OP is about more than expertise. It's also about free speech. It's also about critical inquiry.

icehorse

Premium Member

It is factually true that not every forum is fit for every question and every debate. And it is factually true because we are debating in a forum that factually disallows certain topics and methods of debate. It follows from this factual truth, that even if every idea is to be scrutinized, it does not have to be scrutinized in every circumstance or every context, nor by every means available.

The example I gave was "the public forum", in this case in the form of an "open letter".

(And I realize I'm misusing air quotes :) )

Tambourine

It's not any false dilemma you might put forth. (I was going to say "it's not black and white", but we're probably going to have to retire that phrase now.)

Of course it is about expertise. And expertise comes in degrees. I'd bet you $100 that Pinker's grasp of statistics could be said to be at an "expert" level, certainly it exceeds most protestors' grasp.
On what do you base this belief? What role did statistics play in his academic work? Do you really believe that there are no statistics majors among the thousands of BLM supporters, nobody who would be able to understand the numbers at the same level as an academic with no knowledge in how to properly read police statistics?

At any rate, what do you think entitles Pinker to not be called out or deplatformed?

icehorse

Premium Member
On what do you base this belief? What role did statistics play in his academic work? Do you really believe that there are no statistics majors among the thousands of BLM supporters, nobody who would be able to understand the numbers at the same level as an academic with no knowledge in how to properly read police statistics?

At any rate, what do you think entitles Pinker to not be called out or deplatformed?

"called out" and "de-platformed" are two VERY different things.

Call him out all you want! Engage in a debate, disprove his thinking, that's ALL GOOD !

But de-platforming is very dangerous. It is often a tool of fascists and totalitarians, which seems largely to be the case with Pinker. And Pinker is just one of many such cases.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I try to focus on ideas.

So, what ideas are out there that you like?

Assuming you had unlimited money to spend...

Focusing on the high incidence of unnecessary deadly force being used against brown and black people by white police officers; what would you do address this problem?