• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems - The Root Cause

muhammad_isa

No, we can't. You can't see e.g. bad as bad. That is a process in your mind.
Yes we can. If a person becomes very drunk and acts violently, and the next day has no recollection of it, that is NOT just "a process in my mind".
The same could be said about a lot of things.

We can also observe people behaving well. :)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes we can. If a person becomes very drunk and acts violently, and the next day has no recollection of it, that is NOT just "a process in my mind".
The same could be said about a lot of things.

We can also observe people behaving well. :)

No, because blind people understand good and bad, but they can't see. It is that simple.

muhammad_isa

I think that secularism is far less prone to extremism than many other worldviews, and in that regard I'd say yes, because extremism of all manner is making everything worse.
I would agree that extremism is destructive.
One needs to ask why people become extreme, though.

I think it is often a reaction to oppression.
Sometimes, people don't see the results of secular decisions that they perceive as reasonable. It is not straightforward.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I would agree that extremism is destructive.
One needs to ask why people become extreme, though.

I think it is often a reaction to oppression.
Sometimes, people don't see the results of secular decisions that they perceive as reasonable. It is not straightforward.

I think that oppressors often use religion to further their goals. It's certainly happening with many of the far-right in the US, as an example.

muhammad_isa

I think that oppressors often use religion to further their goals. It's certainly happening with many of the far-right in the US, as an example.
Yes, I can't understand that.
Jesus is reported to have said "For the rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, is like the camel passing through the eye of a needle".

I think people often cherry-pick what suits them.
To deny climate-change, and vote for a rich man as President seems hypocritical to me.
..but then, there is only a choice of two parties. :(

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jesus is reported to have said "For the rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, is like the camel passing through the eye of a needle".

To deny climate-change, and vote for a rich man as President seems hypocritical to me.
Whatever Jesus may have said, not many politicians are poor, except Narendra Modi of India*.
And what is wrong with a rich government head who fulfills his duties adequately - someone like Sunak (hopefully).

* Latest on Narendra Modi's assets: USD 269,243.28.
That is less than the cost of our apartment in Delhi. His monthly salary is USD 2,415.00.
And he has been the Chief Minister of Gujarat (a prosperous state in India) for 13 years and Prime Minister of India for 8 years.
Narendra Modi Assets: PM Narendra Modi's total assets rise by Rs 26 lakh to Rs 2.23 crore - The Economic Times

Last edited: