• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems or reservations about Egyptian/Kemetic religion

Rakovsky

I agree with the idea in Kemetic/Egyptian religion that there is one God, NTR, as some Egyptian writings narrate. They say that Amen, Ra, Ptah are really one. And NTR in late Egyptian is Noute. And so Egypt's Christians put Noute in their translation of the Bible. In their prayers, they pray to "Noute", which is basically their word for Jehovah/God/El/Yahweh/"The Lord".

But "Ptah"? First, did God making the world by opening or carving? Maybe that is just a figure of speech for his forming the world. I think it's fine or right to speak of God as the Pantocrator or the Father of Creation. The ideas of Logos creation and God working within his creation (like moving people in certain ways) are also in the Tanakh, so that God is the originator of everything.

But further I don't hold to all the ideas associated with him, like the idea that he was in or sanctified a concrete physical Apis bull that symbolized him and that Egyptians kept as a kind of sacred pet. Nor do I think it's right to say that God as the Fashioner(Ptah) was promoting this idea of the Opening the Mouth ceremony, especially when it was used on idols. So I can't automatically embrace whatever the Egyptians taught about God as the Fashioner (Ptah).

And then there is the whole philosophical issue of how Egyptians put much more separation between their gods than Abrahamic religions do with their aspects of God. God might be called the Lord or El Shaddai in Judaism, for example, but they don't have separate myths or temples on that basis. Saying that the Fashioner made the world and that God the Sun/Light arose from the waters might sound find to Egyptians, but it doesn't have the same clarity of equating the two "gods" that Abrahamic religion does. Mosaic thinking would say that the Creator made the world and that Light appeared, mentioning only separately, and maybe only allegorically, that "God is light".