• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problem I have with Researching Religion/Spirituality

Ronule

I can't speak for others on this subject, but in my case searching for what I could accurately describe myself has been a pain in the backside.

When I research religions, I usually get overloaded with God this, Goddess that, dogma here, afterlife there. But when I look into the more secular beliefs, I don't find enough... I guess I should use the word 'spirituality' for me to feel confortable with. The thing is I want to know where to look to find others that share similar beliefs as me. But it's hard to find somebody that is as middle ground as I am.

I take bits and pieces from a lot of ideas. Religious dogma doesn't run my life, like Secularist. I revere nature like pagans. I believe that at our core we're all made up of the same energy, like some forms of Eastern Mysticysm (I just don't think this energy is devine or a form of god). I believe in some occult phenomenom... I just don't believe that they are supernatural. This includes magick, huantings, divination, and various other practices.

When it comes down to it, I'm kind of affraid that I may have such an rare set of beliefs that I may be practicing my own private religion. If that's the case, what do I do from there? Do I write a book and start a movement, do I go through life being the only person I know that that has my beliefs, or do I join an already existing religion that shares enough of my beliefs to accept me, and declare myself as such?

I hope that I have not bored anybody who was willing to take a look at what I had to say, but this plagues my mind everday.

Unedited

Well, for starters, I think you'll find that most everyone has their own set of beliefs that aren't quite like anyone else's. I doubt you'll ever find a label that fits you just perfectly. You could decide name your own religion. You wouldn't necessarily have to make a whole movement out of it. You could just quietly believe what you believe.

But there's something nice about finding the religion that's already out there to fit. If you're finding trouble finding good information on a religion, RF is a great place to learn. You could look through the Individual Religions forums at any religion that catches your eye. If you found someone you seemed to agree with, they might be willing to answer questions you may have.

For me Wicca is not a perfect fit. It's the best fit I found however, and it's also a religion that doesn't force me to believe in the things I disagree with. If you are looking to find one religion you feel you could fit into, it may be important that you find one with few basic beliefs.

Watcher

The Gunslinger
The question is, why do you need to be labled? Is not belonging to any particular religion that bad? Have your beliefs, by all means, but don't change or bend them just so you can say that you belong to any certain religion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Keep going on what you feel is right.

For me, there are usually one or two things big things in a religion that makes me unfit for it. Such as Wicca's "harm ye none." I believe there is a time for peace and a time for violence.

Unedited

Luke Wolf said:
Keep going on what you feel is right.

For me, there are usually one or two things big things in a religion that makes me unfit for it. Such as Wicca's "harm ye none." I believe there is a time for peace and a time for violence.
You reminded me that sometimes two people of the same religion can still vary greatly in their beliefs of even the most basic of beliefs. I've met Wiccans who believe that "harm none" should be kept in every aspect of life, and some who believe that it's only speaking of spells (meaning you should never cast a spell that would harm).

Ronule

Watcher said:
The question is, why do you need to be labled? Is not belonging to any particular religion that bad? Have your beliefs, by all means, but don't change or bend them just so you can say that you belong to any certain religion.
It's not really trying to be labled, but more just trying to find others. The main point of churches, covens, and synagogues are to find a place with like-minded people. As for me, I don't know of many like-minded people, and that's my problem. I kind to want to attend a place where I can talk to others that believe closely to what I do. Not belonging to a particular religion isn't really all bad, it would just be nice to be able to go some place where you can talk to others and there not be a good chance that you have to defend you view.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ronule said:
I can't speak for others on this subject, but in my case searching for what I could accurately describe myself has been a pain in the backside.

When I research religions, I usually get overloaded with God this, Goddess that, dogma here, afterlife there. But when I look into the more secular beliefs, I don't find enough... I guess I should use the word 'spirituality' for me to feel confortable with. The thing is I want to know where to look to find others that share similar beliefs as me. But it's hard to find somebody that is as middle ground as I am.

I take bits and pieces from a lot of ideas. Religious dogma doesn't run my life, like Secularist. I revere nature like pagans. I believe that at our core we're all made up of the same energy, like some forms of Eastern Mysticysm (I just don't think this energy is devine or a form of god). I believe in some occult phenomenom... I just don't believe that they are supernatural. This includes magick, huantings, divination, and various other practices.

When it comes down to it, I'm kind of affraid that I may have such an rare set of beliefs that I may be practicing my own private religion. If that's the case, what do I do from there? Do I write a book and start a movement, do I go through life being the only person I know that that has my beliefs, or do I join an already existing religion that shares enough of my beliefs to accept me, and declare myself as such?

I hope that I have not bored anybody who was willing to take a look at what I had to say, but this plagues my mind everday.
If it's any consolation to you, I am 35 years or so older than you, and I have experienced exactly what you have described for as long as I can remember.

Your paragraph "When it comes down to it........." I can empathise with 100%; to me the saddest aspect of being as you describe is the loneliness - I would be so happy to be able to 'share' with like minded people, and yet I think that is about as unlikely as my winning the lottery - especially since I don't buy any tickets for it any more!!

And there you go, I am in Bournemouth England, and you live in Kentucky - I was just beginning to think "Now, if he doesn't live too far away........":(

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
One could say that this need for trying to find "like-minded" people is a sure sign that it is human to be religious. Some like to claim that being religious is a personal thing. Although I agree with that I think many ignore the need to seek others. In the big scope of things you really only have 3 options:

1. You conform yourself to a set of beliefs that fits you best, by becoming part of a church, group, or what have you.
2. You create your own religion for others to join.
3. You do nothing because you are content with it just being you.

I don't really believe people like option 3.

~Victor

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:
One could say that this need for trying to find "like-minded" people is a sure sign that it is human to be religious. Some like to claim that being religious is a personal thing. Although I agree with that I think many ignore the need to seek others. In the big scope of things you really only have 3 options:

1. You conform yourself to a set of beliefs that fits you best, by becoming part of a church, group, or what have you.
2. You create your own religion for others to join.
3. You do nothing because you are content with it just being you.

I don't really believe people like option 3.

~Victor
"Like minded" is satisified by joining any group. It's an evoltionary adapation. Just the phrase, "like minded" recognizes the individual minds that comprise a group.

I have chosen your number 3 with the difference that I did something. Perhaps that's a number 4.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Pah said:
"Like minded" is satisified by joining any group. It's an evoltionary adapation. Just the phrase, "like minded" recognizes the individual minds that comprise a group.

I have chosen your number 3 with the difference that I did something. Perhaps that's a number 4.
Evolutinary adaption? I'm not sure I understand. Evolution deals with adaptions that must happen for survival purposes. How is joining a group with "like minded" people have anything to do with survival? It fulfills non-tangible needs but I fail to see how it's needed for survial. Please clarify if I misunderstood.

Option 3 usually is typically for people who do not like to submit to nothing other themselves.

~Victor

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:
Evolutinary adaption? I'm not sure I understand. Evolution deals with adaptions that must happen for survival purposes. How is joining a group with "like minded" people have anything to do with survival? It fulfills non-tangible needs but I fail to see how it's needed for survial. Please clarify if I misunderstood.

Option 3 usually is typically for people who do not like to submit to nothing other themselves.

~Victor
Evolution is survival of the species not the indiviudual. The species better survies as a group. The group stays a group because people would not belong to a group that didn't have a "like mind". Survival was the principal component to the "like mind". Defense, distribution of labor for increased resources, a "better" breeding pool - all these and many more are products of evolution

All the more reason to have additional options to those you listed. We may be getting into several more if you think your definition is for the usual.