• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably far too personal, but here goes...

pearl

You dont need a colonoscopy, a blood test will pick up a high PSA (prostate specific antigen)

It was the PSA test that found my husbands prostate cancer, cured with a few radiation treatments. But I would highly recommend a colonoscopy as it discerns polyps that can easily become cancerous if not removed.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Exactly. At first I was more than a little angry, but as I started reading I thought oh well, this isn't too bad. It could be worse.
My wife had, at the same time, ovarian and uterine cancer. Yes, two cancers for the price of one major surgery. Then chemo just to be safe. There's no sign of any cancer returning and I believe they got it all.

This also led to an informal cancer survival club with her and some other survivors.

There's a relief to KNOW what is going on rather than to not know. And to have it treatable is beyond great.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I’m sorry to hear that. (Actually I read it, so I’m sorry to see that).

(No time for jokes, I apologize.)

I wish you the best, I hope you have capable people around you to provide good management. FYI, you should stop yelling at your provider.

A Vestigial Mote

Great to hear its something that can be brought under relative control - even if it means maintenance for the long term. As soon as I would have read the part about "normal life-span with treatment" I probably couldn't have helped but laugh in elation/triumph. Glad they finally diagnosed you and you're on the right road back to relative health stability.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Exactly. At first I was more than a little angry, but as I started reading I thought oh well, this isn't too bad. It could be worse.
It can always be worse. There are worse kinds of cancer. My friend in Hawaii had bladder cancer and was in a lot of pain til his last days.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Brief (for me :D) backstory: I was in the hospital Jul 2-3 this year for what was initially thought to be CHF, congestive heart failure. I have not been able to breathe, I wake up at night gasping and feeling like I'm suffocating. I had sleep apnea surgery in 2004. I've been swollen... hands, feet, face (bushy beard notwithstanding, you can still see the puffiness), tired all the time, no strength, most of the symptoms of CHF.

I get an ECG, EKG, stress test. Mr. Heart is in perfect shape. I even ran for 2-3 mins. on the treadmill. Heart rate and breathing came back to normal within 2-3 mins. Cardiologists' eyebrows went up, jaws dropped. Not bad for a fat guy who's supposed to have CHF. OK, so we find my thyroid is out of control again (hypo, time to adjust medicine).

Fast forward to yesterday (or is that rewind? :D)...

Follow up with my internist of 20 years, who yells at me because I gained weight. Yeah well, if you can't breathe it's kind of hard to do much exercise. :rolleyes: So I yelled back at him. :D He takes blood for just about every test except pregnancy. I go back yesterday for that follow up. My hematocrit and hemoglobin are entirely too high. I hear him say to his interns "he has polycythemia". He gets onto a FaceTime session with another doctor who is a hematologist and oncologist. Why the eff are you talking to an oncologist? :shrug: He says to the other doctor "I'm sending him over right now". OK, so I go and see this doctor. He looks at my blood work, asks me a ****-ton of questions, examines me, pokes around my belly. He hits a tender spot and says "ah ha". He says it feels like my liver or spleen may be swollen or there's some other mass he can't define. So I'm going for a CAT scan.

He says that everything is consistent with polycythemia vera. What the @!$%*&# is polycythemia, dammit!?

Polycythemia vera - Symptoms and causes

So, I have these symptoms:
  • Itchiness, especially following a warm bath or shower
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Blurred vision
  • Excessive sweating
  • Painful swelling of one joint, often the big toe
  • Shortness of breath
  • Numbness, tingling, burning or weakness in your hands, feet, arms or legs
So yeah... I'm a member of Club C, "C" Is For Cancer; The Big C, The C-Word. My husband is sitting there listening to all this like
obiwan1jesusjpg.jpeg

• Is it fatal? Only if left untreated. Death by stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism.
  • How long do I have? Treated, my normal lifespan.
  • Can it be cured? No.
  • Can it be treated? Definitely.
  • What do they do to treat it? Blood thinners (and/or low-dose aspirin), blood-letting, medication to tell the bone marrow to stop over-producing red blood cells.
  • What causes it? Genetics, particularly a mutation on the JAK2 and/or TET2 genes (must investigate this further, for knowledge's sake).
So now I know why I've been feeling like ****-on-a-Ritz.

Cancers do run on my maternal side, killing all of them:
  • Grandmother, colon cancer.
  • Mother, ovarian cancer.
  • Aunt #1, leukemia
  • Aunt #2, liver cancer.
My paternal side: they were all too nasty and evil to catch anything. People asked me what my father died of. I'd say he got tired of my mother's **** for 53 years, so to get away from her he died. :D

Seriously, so I put on my battle armor, sharpen my sword, and look forward to getting my strength back.

DZHQZd3VoAApEFP.jpg
It sounds a lot better than it could have been. First you now know WTF it is. Second you know it can be managed, if not cured. Third, it need not shorten your life. So, with suitable treatment you can get your life back. The only snag is these various regimes you need to manage the condition. They do not sound too ghastly or inhibiting.

When I read the first part of your story I thought of my wife's diagnosis with ovarian cancer and the various stages she went through - seven years mostly good quality, before it got her in the end.

The most useful advice we got was some tough love from a surgeon who was himself diabetic. We were feeling sorry for ourselves, after being told the cancer had come back after chemo. He said to us: "Like a lot of other people, you have a medical condition. Manage it." So we did, and soon felt a lot better for taking that attitude.

Good luck.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Apricot kernels, and especially bitter ones are a natural form of cyanide that are found in most pips, it will attack foreign cells to the body; so they're currently trying to ban us from having pips as they can lead to poisoning.

If you balance the amount you take, so they slowly cleanse the blood, and not completely starve you of oxygen, then you can remove cancer.

Soursop which is also a form of pip based fruit, has been proven to cure liver and breast cancer; yet they haven't really bothered yet to investigate if it works for the rest.

THC has had positive results curing cancer in many areas.

Dr Otto Warburg got the Noble Prize for realizing cancer can't live in an alkalised environment; thus going vegan helps lower cancer forming.

Bleach solution on affected areas can attack the cancer cells, causing the bodies own immune system to then fight the alien cells.

A current hypothesis is it is a form of fungus that lives in acidic environments.

There are plenty of alternatives, they killed my cousin at 21, and then we learned we can cure it by diet.

In my opinion. :innocent:
Reported, for offering fake and dangerous medical advice.

This is crap from start to finish.

shmogie

Brief (for me :D) backstory: I was in the hospital Jul 2-3 this year for what was initially thought to be CHF, congestive heart failure. I have not been able to breathe, I wake up at night gasping and feeling like I'm suffocating. I had sleep apnea surgery in 2004. I've been swollen... hands, feet, face (bushy beard notwithstanding, you can still see the puffiness), tired all the time, no strength, most of the symptoms of CHF.

I get an ECG, EKG, stress test. Mr. Heart is in perfect shape. I even ran for 2-3 mins. on the treadmill. Heart rate and breathing came back to normal within 2-3 mins. Cardiologists' eyebrows went up, jaws dropped. Not bad for a fat guy who's supposed to have CHF. OK, so we find my thyroid is out of control again (hypo, time to adjust medicine).

Follow up with my internist of 20 years, who yells at me because I gained weight. Yeah well, if you can't breathe it's kind of hard to do much exercise. :rolleyes: So I yelled back at him. :D He takes blood for just about every test except pregnancy. I go back yesterday for that follow up. My hematocrit and hemoglobin are entirely too high. I hear him say to his interns "he has polycythemia". He gets onto a FaceTime session with another doctor who is a hematologist and oncologist. Why the eff are you talking to an oncologist? :shrug: He says to the other doctor "I'm sending him over right now". OK, so I go and see this doctor. He looks at my blood work, asks me a ****-ton of questions, examines me, pokes around my belly. He hits a tender spot and says "ah ha". He says it feels like my liver or spleen may be swollen or there's some other mass he can't define. So I'm going for a CAT scan.

He says that everything is consistent with polycythemia vera. What the @!$%*&# is polycythemia, dammit!?

• Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Blurred vision
  • Excessive sweating
  • Shortness of breath
So yeah... I'm a member of Club C, "C" Is For Cancer; The Big C, The C-Word. My husband is sitting there listening to all this like
obiwan1jesusjpg.jpeg

• Is it fatal? Only if left untreated. Death by stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism.
  • Can it be cured? No.
  • What do they do to treat it? Blood thinners (and/or low-dose aspirin), blood-letting, medication to tell the bone marrow to stop over-producing red blood cells.
  • What causes it? Genetics, particularly a mutation on the JAK2 and/or TET2 genes (must investigate this further, for knowledge's sake).

• Aunt #1, leukemia
  • Aunt #2, liver cancer.
My paternal side: they were all too nasty and evil to catch anything. People asked me what my father died of. I'd say he got tired of my mother's **** for 53 years, so to get away from her he died. :D

Seriously, so I put on my battle armor, sharpen my sword, and look forward to getting my strength back.

DZHQZd3VoAApEFP.jpg
My sister has lived with CLL (chronic lymphatic lymphoma) a blood cancer, for decades.

She does her chemo every three months and takes her meds, and all is well.

Do what the docs want you to do, and you will be just fine !

shmogie

The crazy cure hucksters are always around to prey on the ill.

The conspiracy theorists are always around to say there is a cure for cancer.

It is all nonsense and lies, Yet intelligent people fall for it.

shmogie

Thanks... best wishes to him too. I worry about that too, I'm 62 years old. And I keep resisting a colonoscopy. I think I should rethink that policy.
The policy could be suicidal.

Colonoscopies are a piece of cake, and the prep is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Don´t be dumb, just do it.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member

Wow, all of that can be looked up; why not try studying, and not be so rude.

It isn't medical advice; they are natural health tips.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
@Jainarayan

That's awful news. It sounds like you're having a really rough time at the moment. Best of luck with treatment and recovery. Big Hug!

:hugehug:

And remember- always keep an emergency supply of chocolate in case you're feeling down. It helps and gives you something to look forward to. ;)

iStock-661339280-1080x675.jpg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
@Jainarayan

That's awful news. It sounds like you're having a really rough time at the moment. Best of luck with treatment and recovery. Big Hug!

:hugehug:

And remember- always keep an emergency supply of chocolate in case you're feeling down. It helps and gives you something to look forward to. ;)

iStock-661339280-1080x675.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, I been doing a little bit of crying. I haven’t told my family yet. Just the guys in a private Facebook group I belong to. We consider each other “bearded brothers”. Mostly because, well... only because we all have beards. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The policy could be suicidal.

Colonoscopies are a piece of cake, and the prep is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Don´t be dumb, just do it.

Oh, I’ll have it done. I’m just a stubborn and rebellious Sicilian.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My sister has lived with CLL (chronic lymphatic lymphoma) a blood cancer, for decades.

She does her chemo every three months and takes her meds, and all is well.

Do what the docs want you to do, and you will be just fine !

Thanks. :) Continued health to your sister. ;)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

• Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Blurred vision
  • Excessive sweating
  • Shortness of breath
obiwan1jesusjpg.jpeg

• Can it be cured? No.

• Aunt #1, leukemia
  • Aunt #2, liver cancer.

DZHQZd3VoAApEFP.jpg

Gook luck with everything.

Sometimes I feel that I feel that my body physically was designed to work against me. It is also annoying that sometimes it's seen by some that my physical condition is because I caused it by doing something wrong.

I didn't intent to do anything wrong or act in ways that I thought would cause my body to develop physical problems. I ate vegetarian because I thought it would be healthier. Ran, walked, went to the gym until pain prevented most activities. Still I guess I did something wrong. Lots of healthy people my age.

I feel bad I can't be as active with my family. They understand but I wish things had turned out differently. Still I manage to find happiness. I suppose everyone faces their own burdens many worse than mine.

My wife had cancer, she survived. At 65 she wants to go parachuting, bungee jumping off the Stratosphere in LV. Still works full time as a nurse helping others. We all have to do the best we can with the hand we have been dealt.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It can always be worse. There are worse kinds of cancer. My friend in Hawaii had bladder cancer and was in a lot of pain til his last days.

Absolutely! I saw my mother die over 10 weeks from ovarian cancer. It was so horrible to see we (my family) said we wished it would end soon. There’s no logic or love in hoping they hang on.

On the day she left my brother and two sisters were in the room. Other brother had returned to Florida. We called that night and said get back up here. The nurse asked if we wanted to have the doctor increase her morphine. My brother and sisters were spaced out and like “huh, what?” I said “do it”. There’s an unspoken reason they do it. Ten minutes later she left her body behind.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m sorry to hear that. (Actually I read it, so I’m sorry to see that).

(No time for jokes, I apologize.)

I wish you the best, I hope you have capable people around you to provide good management. FYI, you should stop yelling at your provider.

Thanks. Keep joking! :)

Well, he yelled at me first... he told me I need a lap band! :eek: If they find something in my belly I’m going to plop it down on his desk and say “lap band THIS!” :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
Wow, all of that can be looked up; why not try studying, and not be so rude.

It isn't medical advice; they are natural health tips.

A lot of junk can be looked up. That is one of the curses of the internet age.

I am rude because you have no business offering crank medical advice, on a public forum, to someone with a serious medical condition. I am also rude because I have a strong personal interest (read the thread) in people treating cancer sensibly. And if you continue to peddle this mendacious junk I shall carry on being rude. Because if someone were to follow what you have posted, instead of taking proper medical advice, they would definitely die.

On science forums I am a member of, you could get banned for this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Apricot kernels, and especially bitter ones are a natural form of cyanide that are found in most pips, it will attack foreign cells to the body; so they're currently trying to ban us from having pips as they can lead to poisoning.

If you balance the amount you take, so they slowly cleanse the blood, and not completely starve you of oxygen, then you can remove cancer.

Soursop which is also a form of pip based fruit, has been proven to cure liver and breast cancer; yet they haven't really bothered yet to investigate if it works for the rest.

THC has had positive results curing cancer in many areas.

Dr Otto Warburg got the Noble Prize for realizing cancer can't live in an alkalised environment; thus going vegan helps lower cancer forming.

Bleach solution on affected areas can attack the cancer cells, causing the bodies own immune system to then fight the alien cells.

A current hypothesis is it is a form of fungus that lives in acidic environments.

There are plenty of alternatives, they killed my cousin at 21, and then we learned we can cure it by diet.

This isn’t that type of cancer. There are very many types. Most people think of the types in which the cells grow uncontrollably, form tumors, metastasize and basically commandeer and hijack the body’s functions.

This is the type in which the cells themselves don’t proliferate, but rather, are over produced. Big difference. The harm they cause is by forming blood clots and turning the blood into sludge.

The target of the medication for polycythemia is not the red blood cells themselves, but telling the bone marrow to stop making them.

So you see, as @exchemist rightly points out, someone might decide to forego the traditional treatment and actually sign their own death warrant.