• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probability of nature coming up with Beethoven's 'Fate' by chance?

atanu

Premium Member
What is the probability?

Please do not bring in the subject of intelligent design -- pro or against. Let us please stick to actual statistical calculations only.

Or just enjoy the stupendous creation.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What is the probability?

Please do not bring in the subject of intelligent design -- pro or against. Let us please stick to actual statistical calculations only.

You do realize that using strawman arguments is not the most honest way to debate don't you? Only ignorant creationists make the error of calling evolution "random".

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
What is the probability?

If it's gonna be Beetsy, why Sym. no 5.............why not the Grosso Fugue? his masterpiece

David T

Premium Member
What is the probability?

100%

David T

Premium Member
Statistical calculations show that I was personally designed and created by a god. Makes me feel very special. The Odds Of You Being Alive Are Incredibly Small
That's factually self deluding I am no golden calf and god ain't your Persian house kitty. Hell I might as well start singing "how great I am how great I am, and Carl nietztche myself into the loony bin all at the same time listening to religion. Then again Friedrich nietztche is the apple that didn't even fall off the nut tree.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What is the probability?

The probability is 100%.
This might sound facetious, bit it isn't.
If you flip a coin 10 times, & it comes up heads 10 times, this also
has a 100% probability of occurring. This is because looking at
historical events is to examine results. Predicting the probability
of this happening in the future requires more info, eg, how many
trials are allowed? What constitutes a trial, eg, attempts of only
10 flips, or a continuous sequence with a moving 10 flip window?

Now, let's consider the probability of a symphony which hasn't been
written yet. To calculate it, we need to know.....
- The number of trials is determined by the number of composers over
mankind's history & future.
- The probability of each composer to write that type of music.
- The number of possible symphonies which meet the criterion of being
Beethoven's 5th.

What we first notice is that we've no data to calculate the probability.
Consider a related phenomenon: Murphy's Law
It says that anything that can happen will. Of course, this is predicated
upon a great many trials over a long period of time. Even if there aren't
an infinite number of universes, we do have perhaps billions of years
of humanity. So Murphy says the probability is effectively 100%.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That's factually self deluding I am no golden calf and god ain't your Persian house kitty. Hell I might as well start singing "how great I am how great I am, and Carl nietztche myself into the loony bin all at the same time listening to religion. Then again Friedrich nietztche is the apple that didn't even fall off the nut tree.

Rough night?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is the probability?
We know the probability is 1.00.

Beethoven's brain had no other source than nature, after all, and it was chance that put him in a musical culture in the right time and place.

David T

Premium Member
Rough night?
NO I woke up this morning and had a conversation with a painter friend. She's a landscape painter, and I was mocking Dylans nonsensenical paintings with my art buildings as his anchor. I build buildings its my art. So when I become God and my buildings are the only reality and the definition of reality I get annoyed extremely fast. You can dress it up in jesus clothes it's still nonsense and it's completely not even the story. A bit like a scientist explaining sex talking about grays anatomy. Ha. I might add very little here connects to the landscape most of the conversations are staring at the walls of my art. Look at the room you are in. I doubt very seriously you are sitting in the middle of a forest. Look at the walls obviously there must be an intelligent designer we know they didn't randomly accidentally self assemble themselves. Please, me as God is lame, accidental random is confused. A simple walk in the wilderness informs us of that being confused.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Isn't a zero a non-occurrence? Near zero is statistically significant.
Aye, a probability which is a vanishingly small amount above zero
becomes significant over long enuf time. After all, calculus exists
because things approaching zero have enormous significance.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
NO I woke up this morning and had a conversation with a painter friend. She's a landscape painter, and I was mocking Dylans nonsensenical paintings with my art buildings as his anchor. I build buildings its my art. So when I become God and my buildings are the only reality and the definition of reality I get annoyed extremely fast. You can dress it up in jesus clothes it's still nonsense and it's completely not even the story. A bit like a scientist explaining sex talking about grays anatomy. Ha. I might add very little here connects to the landscape most of the conversations are staring at the walls of my art. Look at the room you are in. I doubt very seriously you are sitting in the middle of a forest. Look at the walls obviously there must be an intelligent designer we know they didn't randomly accidentally self assemble themselves. Please, me as God is lame, accidental random is confused. A simple walk in the wilderness informs us of that being confused.

Well, now that you mention it, all my walls do run to corners.

ArtieE

Look at the room you are in. I doubt very seriously you are sitting in the middle of a forest. Look at the walls obviously there must be an intelligent designer we know they didn't randomly accidentally self assemble themselves.
I self assembled myself. No god put the atoms and molecules I consist of together.