• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-choice vs Abortion

dianaiad

Christians commonly advocate the killing of toddlers.

They were the main supporters of Bush's "Shock and Awe campaign", where Bush dropped heavy weapons on the people in Baghdad. Many were toddlers.
Now those toddlers are teens, with a firm opinion about the USA.

Have a nice day.
Tom

In that same vein, we can say that many Muslims advocate the killing of toddlers. After all, some of the victims of 9/11 were children, ages 2-11.

In that same vein, we can say that many non-Christians advocate the killing of toddlers. Stalin didn't have any problems at all starving children to death. Neither did Mao or Pol Pot or any of the other military dictators who have led democides in their nations.

So tell me: are you one of those who think that if 'the other guy' kills people, then the answer is for you to kill more?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Abortion should be denied to someone who is not using contraception on grounds that it violates a fundamental law of Nature, namely procreation for the survival of the species: I would have thought that is consistent with evolutionary biology.
Wouldn't a law of "procreation for the survival of the species" demand that every women get pregnant? Yet, this doesn't happen. I don't think this is a real law.

People may use contraception and still get pregnant and want an abortion. Accordingly, they would get one. But for the poor person who didn't use contraception and got pregnant, their abortion is against the laws of Nature?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
If you don't know why, then you can't claim that I didn't.
Huh? If I don't know why you didn't explain a thing, I can't comment that you didn't say the thing? How does that work?
Why didn't I? It's a simple thing.
I don't pretend to know your motivations for not doing a thing
I don't, actually. However, feel free to find the posts from me in which I called abortion 'murder,' You won't find any. Then feel free to find posts from me in which I talk about murder in a conversation about abortion. There might be two. Or perhaps three, among all the posts I have submitted, and none of those are referring to abortion as 'murder.'

I can't. "Murder" is a legal term, referring to a specific legal definition/form of killing.

Like "person," murder is in the eye of the justice system and set of laws in a culture. The question is generally whether the culture/laws should be changed.
I didn't say you referred to abortion as murder, I commented that you keep bringing up murder in comparisons with abortion.Try reading what people say, huh?

Kangaroo Feathers

In that same vein, we can say that many Muslims advocate the killing of toddlers. After all, some of the victims of 9/11 were children, ages 2-11.

In that same vein, we can say that many non-Christians advocate the killing of toddlers. Stalin didn't have any problems at all starving children to death. Neither did Mao or Pol Pot or any of the other military dictators who have led democides in their nations.

So tell me: are you one of those who think that if 'the other guy' kills people, then the answer is for you to kill more?
Cool whataboutism. Oh wait, no, it was irrelevant and pointless.

Kangaroo Feathers

Wouldn't a law of "procreation for the survival of the species" demand that every women get pregnant? Yet, this doesn't happen. I don't think this is a real law.

People may use contraception and still get pregnant and want an abortion. Accordingly, they would get one. But for the poor person who didn't use contraception and got pregnant, their abortion is against the laws of Nature?
Curious to know how they determine which cases involve failed contraception and which don't.

Shantanu

Nature requires human beings to take the least stressful and least costly method for the termination of the pregnancy so that resources are appropriately utilised. This includes preventative measures. Like all species of plants and animals humans need to be concerned with efficiency and targeted interventions to ensure the survival of the fittest.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
y'know, if one decides to advertise a room to rent in the newspaper, and goes to all the trouble of getting a renter....and then decides that having a renter in one's home is too much trouble, one is not allowed to shoot said renter and bury him in the back garden.

How about if one puts locks up on the door and finds an unwelcome intruder in their home anyway?

suppose that one advertises in the paper, and then puts all sorts of traps and lethal barriers in the way to keep inquirers away from the house. Suppose that somebody gets through all those traps and barriers, and voila,' takes up occupancy in that spare room. It's STILL considered illegal to shoot him.

You shouldn't shoot your unborn fetus, either. But you can evict it.

Couples who have consensual sex ARE inviting that new human into existence

Only the ones trying to get pregnant, or not minding if they do.

the vast majority of abortions are sought by women who did have consensual sex

Irrelevant. What matters is whether the pregnancy was wanted, not whether the sex was consensual. As far as I know, consensual is only relevant when considering rape, violent or statutory. Where else does the issue of consenting to sex come up?

I believe that anybody below the 'age of accountability' (which my faith system puts at about 8) goes to heaven. Which means, according to your logic, that it is completely acceptable to go shoot all the kids at a day care center. They are all going to heaven, right?

Andrea Yates might have agreed with you, but I don't think he made that argument - although he might ask how the kids were harmed if the possibility of damnation were removed and replaced by guaranteeing a place in heaven. He makes a good point. If I believed your theology, I would believe that people like me are going to hell, but would have been saved had we been killed young enough.

No matter how many reasons one has for engaging in sex, the fact is....sex is all about procreation.

Not with me. I've been enjoying it for decades since a vasectomy after the birth of my second child, which I got to make sure that sex would never be about procreation again. Two and out of the reproducing game, but not the sex game.

My own opinion is that if a woman is so certain that she does not wish to give birth to a child that she will have an abortion should she become pregnant, then she should either do something permanent to prevent pregnancy, or avoid engaging in the activities that might cause her to become pregnant until she is ready to accept that possibility...and give birth.

That's your own opinion. How about hers?

Throwing out single sentence name drops of fallacies is not a counter argument, both because it doesn't actually link the argument to it's would be fallacy and because arguments are not necessarily incorrect just because the logic is fallacious. (Logical Fallacy: Fallacy Fallacy) But mostly because it has about the same effect as if I had posted to you 'false analogy' 'false dichotomy' and left it at that.

Don't forget, "That was out of context" without an explanation what context was removed that would have changed the apparent meaning of the words removed.

It's something I have noticed about pro-feticide people. They aren't any more honest than Christian prolifers.

Who's pro-feticide?

What we support is the right of the mother and not the state representing the church to decide if an unwanted pregnancy will be terminated, or if the pregnant woman will be compelled by force or threat of force to give birth.

I think that the mother should make that choice, and hence I call myself pro-choice, not pro-feticide. It is my sincere desire that there never be another unwanted pregnancy or abortion, but by the choice of the potential mother, not the state working on behalf of the church.

It's getting to be more and more like The Handmaid's Tale in the States. When is enough enough? When the church says so?

dianaiad

Why should humans pass laws deciding when a life begins or ends. Only God decides this. Of course we need laws that prevent killing living people, but who should decide if an unborn fetus is a living person?

That should be a scientific, not a cultural, decision.

According to Merriam Webster, "Life" is defined thusly:

1. the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
    "the origins of life"
    synonyms: existence, being, living, animation, aliveness, animateness; More

2. 2.
    the existence of an individual human being or animal.
According to this, a fetus is alive from the instant of conception. It checks all the above boxes, doesn't it?

"Capacity for growth," check
"reproduction" check (as soon as it hits adolescence, )
"functional activity" check
"continual change preceding death" check.

That a fetus depends upon its mother to supply its needs doesn't matter; that's temporary. it grows out of that need...which of course means that it changes, grows, is alive.

Whether it is a 'person' is a cultural decision, and is actually part of the question being discussed.

Terry Sampson

Whoa! That's a quite a load of firewood you brought. And all for free. Ain't you nice! Don't know where I'm gonna put it, but I'll try to find a place.

....and who gets to decide who is 'fit?'

I do. Gotta problem with that? Take it up with the Boss.

This thread's topic is "Pro-choice" vs. Abortion", not my pro-life proposal.

Oh, never mind.

Realized that you said something irrelevant, eh? Don't worry about it. It's forgotten.

Babies aren't kittens or puppies, to be drowned or euthanized because they are not 'wanted,' or are not 'adoptable.'

So, you make no distinction between fetuses, babies in the womb, and babies outside of the womb. Why didn't you just say so? Fine, I can handle that. In fact, I agree.

Yeah, yeah...men don't get pregnant. It's not 'fair.' or something. But that's how it is. Women are the ones who get pregnant. Pregnancy is about making human beings.

You're giving me some women's reasons for abortion and a mini-sex education lecture??? Get a grip.

• y'know, if one decides to advertise a room to rent in the newspaper, and goes to all the trouble of getting a renter....and then decides that having a renter in one's home is too much trouble, one is not allowed to shoot said renter and bury him in the back garden.
  • IIn fact, suppose that one advertises in the paper, and then puts all sorts of traps and lethal barriers in the way to keep inquirers away from the house. Suppose that somebody gets through all those traps and barriers, and voila,' takes up occupancy in that spare room. It's STILL considered illegal to shoot him.
  • IIndeed, if the weather outside is arctic cold winter, or in the middle of a hurricane, one is not allowed to kick the renter out if doing so will guarantee his death. The reluctant landlord must wait until it is possible for the renter to leave without instantly dying.
Sorry, speaking for myself, your "renter"/"trespassing squatter" analogy just doesn't work for me, regardless whether you don't want them shot/evicted or not.

I'm compelled to insert a disclaimer here, because someone WILL come back with the 'what about rape, incest and threat to the mother's life?" thing. You haven't done this, Terry...it's a general disclaimer, and why I use 'consensual' so consistently here. My opinion is mine...and only applies to men and women who enter into consensual sex in the full knowledge that sex makes babies, and that there is a possibility, no matter how slight, that a pregnancy will result. It does not apply to women who are raped, incest victims, women who are not legally responsible for their actions (and sex with them IS 'rape") or in cases where the mother's life is in danger, or when the fetus is so badly damaged that s/he cannot live outside the womb even if carried to full term.

??? I had to go back to my post and check. Dang! You're right! I didn't write it the way you think I should have. I forgot to check with you first. Naughty me. Apparently, your opinion is yours and my opinion should also be yours to edit. LOL!

Of course, the vast majority of abortions are sought by women who did have consensual sex.

Yeah, and ....???

Well, now that I've sorted out the kindling, let's see what's left.

In my view, when the sex is consensual and in full knowledge that sex is how babies are made, a woman's choices need to be made BEFORE she gets pregnant. After that, it's not all about her anymore. There is another human being to consider.

Couples who have consensual sex ARE inviting that new human into existence, in the full knowledge that one just might answer the 'invitation.' Modern birth control methods are very good, and when multiple forms are used...properly...then the odds are exceptional that no pregnancy will result. It might, anyway, though...and it wouldn't have had the 'invitation' not been given. it is not the fault of this new human that his parents invited him/her. Indeed, this new human is the only real innocent in the whole deal.

But for some reason, it is that innocent who has to pay the death penalty price for his/her parent's irresponsibility, in many cases, and at the very least, unwillingness to accept the consequences of their own choices.

(a) Hmmm, ... No offense, but I'm going to edit your first three sentences.
  • In my view, when the sex is consensual and in full knowledge that sex is how babies are made, a woman's choices ought to be made BEFORE she gets pregnant. After that, it's not just about the parents anymore. There is the possible future human being to consider.
Okay, ... that's better. And I agree. Barring immaculate conceptions, if a mutually consenting male and female are going to do something that could yield one or more babies, they ought to plan ahead for the possibility that babies may result.

Maybe there ought to be a law that requires both parties to a sex act to sign a contract, before proceeding, which says that both parties consent to what they intend to do and, after due consideration of all risks and possible outcomes, they accept full responsibility for their actions and any resulting babies, promising to provide for their babies' needs as well as their own until the babies reach adulthood.

(b) You wrote:
  • "Couples who have consensual sex ARE inviting that new human into existence, in the full knowledge that one just might answer the 'invitation.'"
Gee, ... you mean a woman may actually get pregnant if she and a male "do the dirty."?? Who knew?? So, doing it really is tantamount to a formal and conscious decision to invite another human to join the family whether that invitation is accepted or not. Guess parental training must have been totally absent or seriously deficient in my home and the homes of a heckuva lot people. Odd, don'cha think? Billions and billions and billions of dollars spent on "anti-smoking" and "anti-drug" campaigns and I can't remember the last time I saw a "'doin' the dirty' can cause pregnancy" ad on T.V.

Actually, that's not totally true. In the Sampson house in late 1960/1961, my father (a Missouri Synod Lutheran preacher) took the four oldest kids (Mike, 12; me, 12; Jim, 11; and Cathy, 10) into the living room and gave us our first formal sex education class, with a very small book that had pictures. So we Sampsons learned our "birds and bees" right on time, I figure. I still remember the look of awe in my sister's face when she said: "I thought sleeping in the same bed caused babies." BTW, when did public outcry against sex education classes in U.S. public schools end in the U.S.? I can't remember.
  • "Modern birth control methods are very good, and when multiple forms are used...properly...then the odds are exceptional that no pregnancy will result. It might, anyway, though...and it wouldn't have had the 'invitation' not been given."
Your openess to birth control suggests to me (a) that you're probably NOT a conservative Roman Catholic nor a conservative non-Catholic Christian, and (b) you're probably what I call a "quasi-Christian", i.e. not a "True, Approved, Certified Christian", nor a "Pseudo-Christian". Neat!
  • "it is not the fault of this new human that his parents invited him/her. Indeed, this new human is the only real innocent in the whole deal."
Although I'm not particularly fond of your "invitation" metaphor, I agree with your point.
  • "But for some reason, it is that innocent who has to pay the death penalty price for his/her parent's irresponsibility, in many cases, and at the very least, unwillingness to accept the consequences of their own choices."
Ahhh, ... finally, the reason underlying your complaint. Gotta say, you made me wade through a lot of muddy water to get to it, but when you spit it out, I do see why Pro-abortion is your "hot-button". Although I suspect this won't abate your passion, not even slightly, 'twixt you 'n me, I am sympathetic to your cause. I'm just not going to kill anyone to obtain your goal or defend it. And I am not going demand or hope for a law that locks people up for it. Why not, you may ask? Because... at this time, the way I see it is this: "...sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for [us], but [we] must master it.” (Gen.4:7)

I've got more to say on the matter, but will save it for a later post here, or elsewhere. For now, you and I have irreconcilable differences, but not as many as you think.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Terry Sampson

Persuading is the only real option. If you cannot persuade someone, then you must concede to the decision they make regarding their own bodies.

If by "persuading" you meant: "Trying to persuade", I agree wholeheartedly.

I will never have an abortion myself either, ...

My own reference to a need for an abortion, hypothetical or real, was my way of saying: 'I acknowledge that my status in this debate is that of a bystander'.

..but I would hope that the option to be involved in decisions about a conception that I was a part of, is made available.

I understand. Unfortunately, (a) not all men want to be involved, (b) not all women want to involved them, and (c) having decided to be involved and been allowed to be involved, it's so easy for the involvement to derail and the door to mutual involvement to close.

lostwanderingsoul

Would you trot out a toddler and ask if we should be allowed to kill it?????? We always have laws protecting persons

In England a baby is born and if it weights under some amount it is left to die. Sometimes if the weight is on the line a clever nurse will set a tiny scissors on the scale to tip the scales of justicee in the babies favor so it can live.... but aren't we all poorer when a person is not a person because it doesn't weigh enough?

I recall a time when liberal commentators on TV would be horrified at China's policies of aborting 2nd children even after 1st trimester because in their words 'it's like murder' and Jesse Jackson would say in that day that 'abortion is just not acceptable' .... we'll... until he tried to run for president on a Democratic ticket and stuck his finger in the air and threw what he felt unacceptable away sadly.

It's a human nature thing. Fallen people negotiate down down down what they feel God requires of them
I said nothing about killing toddlers. But who decides when a person is alive or not? I do not think it should be up to a group of politicians.

lostwanderingsoul

Here we go again. Another person speaking for God as if to know the mind of God. How presumptuous and arrogant.

Leave your religion at the door when speaking of matters that concern all people and not just your religion.
1. The people speaking for God are the politicians who think they are medical and religious experts and can decide when a life begins. 2. Matters that concern all people should be decided in some other way than a bunch of men in a smoke filled room accepting bribes from outsiders to change their vote. My religion has nothing to do with it. It is people's rights that are being pushed around.

tigrers2019

Those politicians that drafted and passed this ridiculous law set, are not Pro-Life........they are Pro-Birth. Period.

Therefore, they have made it very clear that their goal is not of compassion for the unborn, but of control over much of the population......women.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
If by "persuading" you meant: "Trying to persuade", I agree wholeheartedly.
Yes.

My own reference to a need for an abortion, hypothetical or real, was my way of saying: 'I acknowledge that my status in this debate is that of a bystander'.
It is a sort of strange situation. Men are held accountable if we do not provide for a child once it is born, but we are kept out of the loop prior to that in some instances. Maybe this is the right thing. I do not know. If the fetus is not a person and the choice is solely with the woman, then men would have little, if any input. But there are all sorts of unique stories that result from conception. Sometimes they are not funny. Like instances where a rapist, convicted and serving time for the crime, has parental rights involving any offspring that resulted from the rape. A horrible situation made worse by the reading of laws that were never intended to favor a criminal over a victim.

I suppose the question comes down to this. In a situation between consenting adults where a woman becomes pregnant, does a man have any role in decisions going forward or is the burden to be cast solely on the woman? This goes beyond the scope of the right of abortion and is about details involved in the exercise of that right. Maybe it is out of place to bring it up here.

I understand. Unfortunately, (a) not all men want to be involved, (b) not all women want to involved them, and (c) having decided to be involved and been allowed to be involved, it's so easy for the involvement to derail and the door to mutual involvement to close.
It does give rise to historical realities that confound the question. It is not a mans body that is carrying the child, so a woman has the superior position on deciding, but it remains a detail that needs some clarification.

Terry Sampson

Did she actually say this?

Keeping in mind that your post to me was a response to my comment to Kangaroo Feather's statement, that "Abortion isn't murder though. By definition.", in which I said: "Apparently, dianaiad belives that, ..."

What she did say to me was:
  • Babies aren't kittens or puppies, to be drowned or euthanized because they are not 'wanted,' or are not 'adoptable.'
  • y'know, if one decides to advertise a room to rent in the newspaper, and goes to all the trouble of getting a renter....and then decides that having a renter in one's home is too much trouble, one is not allowed to shoot said renter and bury him in the back garden.
  • In fact, suppose that one advertises in the paper, and then puts all sorts of traps and lethal barriers in the way to keep inquirers away from the house. Suppose that somebody gets through all those traps and barriers, and voila,' takes up occupancy in that spare room. It's STILL considered illegal to shoot him.
  • Indeed, if the weather outside is arctic cold winter, or in the middle of a hurricane, one is not allowed to kick the renter out if doing so will guarantee his death. The reluctant landlord must wait until it is possible for the renter to leave without instantly dying.
  • But for some reason, it is that innocent who has to pay the death penalty price for his/her parent's irresponsibility, in many cases, and at the very least, unwillingness to accept the consequences of their own choices.
What she did say to AGdigitalartist was:
  • ... the creation of a new human being. As soon as that happens, that new human life MUST be considered, in the same way that any other human life should be considered; if it's not legal to kill your neighbor 'just because,' then it shouldn't be legal to kill this new human being that you deliberately invited into being.
Reviewing dianaiad's quotes above, I see:
  1. Consensual sex = deliberate invitation to a human being to take up residency in the woman's womb
  2. Baby in a womb = pregnancy
  3. Termination of a pregnancy (by abortion) that would have, if allowed to continue, resulted in a live birth = intentional drowning, euthanasia, illegal shooting of an unwanted renter, illegal shooting of a trespassing squatter, premature eviction of an unwanted tenant leading to certain death
  4. Result: An innocent dies because of its parents' irresponsibility and, at the very least, due to parental unwillingness to accept the consequences of their own choices
  5. It should be illegal to abort [i.e. kill] a human being invited into being by consenting adults = ilegal to kill your neighbor 'just because'
Why, ... look-ee there, you're absolutely correct: dianaiad actually didn't use the words "abortion" or "murder". I really did, as you say, put words in her mouth. Shame on me.

Perhaps she did, but I don't remember that.

How convenient, ...

I strongly suspect that you're putting words in her mouth because what she really said doesn't fit your usual method of finding a reason to dismiss it.

Yeah? And I strongly suspect that you strongly suspect that I put words in dianaiad's mouth (a) because you neither remember nor want to think about what she said, (b) because you're chewing on my pant leg in order to play with me, and (b) because you can't figure out a better way to go about it.

It's something I have noticed about pro-feticide people. They aren't any more honest than Christian prolifers.

Well, I guess you won't be arguing with any pro-feticides or Christian pro-lifers around here, will you?

In this conversation, I avoid words with subjective meanings. Words like person and murder. I stick to more objective terms like human being and killing.

I'm a life-long, non-dues paying, activist in the "All Words Matter Campaign", and on behalf of all words, I'd like to point out that in Black's Law Dictionary "person" and "murder" are defined as:

Screenshot_2019-05-18 What is PERSON definition of PERSON (Black's Law Dictionary).png
Screenshot_2019-05-18 What is MURDER definition of MURDER (Black's Law Dictionary).png

Furthermore, your distinction between "subjective" and "objective" is a tad bit subjective.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

article
TORT LAW - PRENATAL INJURIES - SUPREME COURT OF ILLINOIS REFUSES TO RECOGNIZE CAUSE OF ACTION BROUGHT BY FETUS AGAINST ITS MOTHER FOR UNINTENTIONAL INFLICTION OF PRENATAL INJURIES.

see
Exclusive: Obama's lost law review article

But typical of Obama, he did not officially admit he wrote it until after the election.
I would say typical because by strategy he only voted 'present' on abortion issues while in
Illinois to appear more less far left than he actually was