• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-choice vs Abortion

Prestor John

Why? I watched the Netflix documentary on Gloria Allred, a prominent American feminist activist and attorney, and learned that she had been raped at gunpoint at age 25 while vacationing in the Caribbean.
As I said earlier, since abortion cases involving the products of rape are so statistically insignificant, there is no reason to even discuss them here.

However, I do consider it worthy to mention that pointing to an extreme outlier to support your case is very unconvincing.
She was asked if that was the worst thing that had ever happened to her. She answered no, it was the back alley abortion she needed because of the rape. She began hemorrhaging and developed a fever of 106 degrees due to infection, almost dying in the process.
I bolded the word “needed” to draw attention to the fact that she did not “need” to get a back alley abortion.

No one can force any woman to keep the child she conceives. She can always put the child up for adoption.

A child being the product of rape does not automatically make them worthless.

For example, Jesse Jackson is a product of statutory rape.

I’m not about to argue that every woman who gets pregnant by their rapist should conceive the baby, but I am arguing that a back alley abortion is not a necessity.

If the unborn child has intrinsic value and adoption is always an option then there is no need for abortions.

Ms. Allred almost died, not because she was raped or because she was pregnant, but because she willingly agreed to let untrained individuals perform a potentially life-threatening surgical procedure on her.

She did not “need” a back alley abortion, but she did “need’ to report her rape and she didn’t do that.

She refused to help law enforcement investigate and hopefully track down her rapist.
You would have this back, but I say never again.
Nope.

I’m against both rape and abortion.

I care about the life of the mother and the life of the not-yet-born.

A woman’s life does not end by giving birth, while a child’s life always ends if it is aborted.
Those are the things I care about, not religious preferences.
Revisionist history again. The separation of Church and State has been a principle advocated since the birth of our nation.

Believe it or not, it’s not just religionists who are against murdering babies.
If your religion or conscience forbids you to get an abortion, don't get one. That's your freedom. But you would impose those views on others. You are not given that freedom.
Let me reword this statement to portray how ridiculous I think it is,

“If your religion or conscience forbids you to [murder a baby], don't [do it]. That's your freedom. But you would impose those views on others. You are not given that freedom.”

Killing the not-yet-born is no different than killing the already born.

We do not get to choose which person has value and which doesn’t. We do not get to murder someone just because their existence is inconvenient or they are not wanted.
Incidentally, it's not the rape that is relevant here. It's the unsafe conditions for abortion. I realize that many anti-choice people would allow for a woman like that to have a legal abortion, but I presume that the abortions performed before and after hers under those same circumstances, whatever the history resulting in an unwanted pregnancy, were just as dangerous. That's what you are advocating for when you advocate for recriminalizing abortion.
First off, you cannot label pro-life people “anti-choice” because they are the ones advocating for all choices, not just the one that kills a baby, like pro-choice advocates.

Those in the pro-life movement encourage education, safe-sex practices, becoming parents or placing the child up for adoption.

Classifying abortion as murder does not put a gun to a pregnant woman’s head and forces her to get a back alley abortion.

Women who choose to get such procedures feel like they have no other choice.

What we should be doing is talking about adoption more than abortion and make the process as streamlined as possible.

They need to know that they always have a choice.

Prestor John

It's assumed. Almost all arguments against abortion rights, science, atheists, homosexuals, and transgendered people in America derive either directly or indirectly from Christianity.
Yet, it was Judeo-Christian principles that wrote the U.S. Constitution which protects our God-given rights, such as freedom of speech.

Well, look at us having a disagreement about a moral issue - Thank you Christianity!

Wait, what else is that? It was Christian teachings that freed the slaves in the U.S. and ended the world-wide slave trade? - Wow!

Anything else? No way! It’s the Christian principles at the foundation of America that feeds and pays for the defense of most of the world? - Golly gee-whiz!

We also don’t throw homosexuals and transgendered people off of buildings like all those Islamic countries do?

I find it funny that you slam Christian for arguing against “science”, yet you claim the not-yet-born aren’t alive or human and I’m sure that you would also claim that a man can become a woman and vice versa.

Both stances are anti-science.

Also, didn’t those in the homosexual community claim that Christian’s rights wouldn’t be infringed over the whole gay marriage thing?

How many Christian owned businesses have been sued and closed since then?

People love to focus on what they consider to be the “negative” and then don’t give Christianity any credit for the overwhelming amount of good it has done for the world.

This isn’t even mentioning how rude it is to assume that only Christians would be anti-abortion.
The anti-choice position is basically a religious position.
Again, it’s not an “anti-choice” position when you want to educate people and offer every other choice but murdering your baby.

Also, your claim that the pro-life position is “basically religious” would be offensive to all those irreligious people who also believe that human life has intrinsic value.
Almost everybody marching in protest outside a Planned Parenthood clinic is going to be a Christian, as will be any legislator who proposes or governor who signs into law any abortion-limiting legislation, which is how we can tell that the outrage is manufactured from the pulpit.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Kinda like how the fact that Russia tried to influence our election does not mean that Trump is a Russian agent.
People not subjected to that generally have no problem with abortion being available, safe, and legal.
Tell that to Atheists Against Abortion.

This idea that only Christians have respect for human life is very naive and insulting.

Prestor John

Authentic outrage is seen across multiple demographics, as that which appeared after the confiscation and incarceration of children at the American border.
I and others who understand the situation at the border were not outraged at all.

There were two main reasons for why the practice began under the Obama administration,

1. The U.S. does not place children in jail. If the adults are going to jail, the children are separated from them.
  2. A child was raped by an adult while they were in confinement together after both the child and the adult alleged that the adult was the child’s parent, when he was not. If an adult cannot prove that they are the parent of the child, they are separated.
There is great value in actually knowing what you are talking about. I know that life begins at conception because I know the science and I follow logic and I am intellectually consistent.
The outrage with abortion is confined essentially to people taught to be outraged.
Nope. If anyone is brainwashed it is the people who fight against firmly established biological reality since the beginning of our race.

Everyone has always known that a pregnant woman carried a human child in her womb. Not a stone. Not a fish. But a human child.

Everyone realized that killing a pregnant woman killed two human beings. Everyone realized that a woman miscarrying meant the death of a human life.

It is only recently that some very loud and obnoxious people have been arguing that a child is not a human person until they exit the birth canal and that a man can become a woman and vice versa.

These arguments stem from irresponsibility and selfishness. They don’t want to be accountable for their actions and they want to satisfy their base desires and feelings.

“This thing in my womb is not a human person because I don’t feel like it is. Although, another woman who has been pregnant for exactly as long as I have is fine for having a “Baby Shower” because she believes what’s in her womb is a living human baby.”

Total disregard for objective biological reality.
Yes, and sometimes ends before birth. So what?
You honestly don’t understand the difference between a natural death and murder?
For me, the moral status of abortion is not related to anything but the degree of suffering caused to the fetus by the procedure.
Would you mind explaining the “procedure” for me?

Don’t forget the part about the forceps pulling the arms and legs off of the unborn baby.
That is not true with somebody already born, the killing of whom might well be immoral by my standards even if it were a painless death.
It “might well be”, which means you don’t know?

Do you even have standards?
But not an embryo or fetus with a nervous system too primitive to create the experience of suffering.
So, anyone with a underdeveloped or damaged nervous system is ok to kill in your book. Got it.
Notice what doesn't come into the formula. Humanity, for one thing.
Pulling out a weed or killing a non-feeling human are the same to you.

Killing a cow for meat and killing a person for no reason other than you feel like it are the same to you.
If the moral status of aborting a human being is not different from that of aborting any other creature capable of or as yet incapable of suffering.
You don’t value human life above any other life. Got it.
I also don't care if the fetus is designated a person, a baby, or a child. I don't care when we say life begins, or if abortion is called murder. None of those are factors.
So if the not-yet-born were legally defined as “persons” or as a “human children” you would not consider abortion to be murder, even if abortion were legally defined as murder.

That is amoral and disgusting.

What a gross way to live.

Bob the Unbeliever

I’m going to begin by quoting the very last thing you said in your post because I believe that it summarizes your “bottomline” on this topic..

This ought to be interesting....
A part of me felt that there was no reason to address your post after such a statement since we have such polarizing opinions on the matter. We would never find common ground..

Indeed. People who cling to ancient bronze-age religion seldom do find common ground with people who prefer an evidence-based world-view.

However, I decided to respond for the sake of others who may be interested in reading such a discussion..

Indeed.

This is just inaccurate. Revisionist history..

Quite ironic, considering your very next statement is highly revisionist "history"....

It was physicians who were against the practice of abortions because they felt that the practice contradicted the Hippocratic Oath and their belief that human life had intrinsic value..

Talk about Revisionist History! And absolutely no citations..... ! No... evidence.
They were also the main motivation behind anti-abortion laws because those willing to perform abortions tended to be untrained and were thusly considered a public health risk.

More revisionist history....!

I am aware of the pro-choice position and I consider it to be illogical and evil.

And us Evidence Based people find your continued attempt to keep Women As Property-- and strip their Common Right To Bodily Ownership-- reducing them to Brood Mares (and worse), illogical and Evil. .

No one has the right to kill another person. The killing of another person can be justified if it was done in self-defense or in the defense of another, but it can never be for arbitrary reasons like the person being inconvenient or unwanted..

Except that abortions are not killing another person.

More: No one has the right to enslave another person. The enslavement of another person can never be justified for any reason, and it can never be for arbitrary reasons like the person being inconvenient or unwanted.. BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT ANTI-CHOICE PEOPLE ARE DOING: FORCING WOMEN INTO A BODY-SLAVE FOR A NON-PERSON WHO HAS NO BRAIN.

And before you get started I want you to know that I am not talking about products of rape or instances where the mother’s life is in danger. Those make up an insignificant proportion of abortion cases..

Wait... WHY WOULD THE CIRCUMSTANCES MAKE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST DIFFERENCE HERE?

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU MAKE EXCEPTIONS-- UNLESS YOU RECOGNIZE YOU ARE SO FAR WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE?

I am here to discuss the over 99% of abortion cases, which are done because the pregnancy is inconvenient or the child is unwanted..

WHICH ALSO HAPPEN WHEN THERE IS NO FUNCTIONAL BRAIN-- THUS THE FETUS IS NOT HUMAN ANYWAY.
Let me reword these statements to portray how ridiculous I think they are

“Most of us will also tell you that we wish that there was never another [murder] ever again, but since we know that that won't be the case, safe, legal [murder] needs to be available.”

I can just never agree with this kind of thinking..

Just as we can never agree with YOU FORCING YOUR RELIGIOUS INTERPRETATION ONTO WOMEN.
Those who sincerely wish that there was never another unwanted pregnancy or abortion would not be promoting irresponsible sex practices and free on-demand abortions for all..

RELIGIOUS WOO-- DOES NOT APPLY WHY SOMEONE WANTS AN ABORTION.
That’s like saying, “We don’t want immigrants to enter the country illegally, but if they do come we want to exempt them from keeping our laws, give them access to welfare programs and tax-payer money.”.

But you are HAPPY TO MAKE BROOD-SLAVES OF WOMEN AT A WHIM.

you had more-- but it was the same horse exhaust, repeated.​

Prestor John

NO IT IS NOT-- you are using RELIGION to re-define "murder".

NOT ALLOWED UNDER THE CONSTITUTION.

YOU DO NOT GET TO FORCE YOUR RELIGIOUS VIEW ONTO OTHERS.

FORBIDDEN.
I am not using my religion at all.

Among both the religious and irreligious there are those who consider abortion to be murder.

The Federal Government and 38 States already recognize an embryo or fetus as a "legal victim" in certain types of crimes.

So, no. No religion necessary. Common sense is enough.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I am not using my religion at all.

Among both the religious and irreligious there are those who consider abortion to be murder.

The Federal Government and 38 States already recognize an embryo or fetus as a "legal victim" in certain types of crimes.

Go ahead. In your own words explain the non religious reason to prohibit abortion. I'll wait.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am aware of the pro-choice position and I consider it to be illogical and evil.

You didn't need to say that, just as I don't need to say that I consider the anti-choice position to be illogical and immoral. The fact that I oppose it tells you that.

What does evil mean to you? I'm guessing that it has religious connotations, like demons. It's a word I don't use any more for that reason.

It invokes faint images of disembodied evil as a universal principle doing battle with the forces of good. Too Exorcist-y, or The Omen, or Mark of the Beast kind of thing. That's a religious position, one I don't hold.

Bad things that happen by design are covered by the word malice, and those by accident are bad luck. Those terms don't carry the religious baggage.

It was physicians who were against the practice of abortions because they felt that the practice contradicted the Hippocratic Oath and their belief that human life had intrinsic value.

As has already been noted, this is the revisionist history here.

So what became of these crusader physicians since then? Did they all either give up objecting or become abortion providers? It's not human nature that physicians were at the vanguard of keeping abortion illegal until one day, they stopped representing this cause, and turned the ball over to the church, which now spearheads the anti-abortion movement? Is that what you are claiming?

Do you really wish there were no more abortions? If so, why?

I imagine its a sad day for everybody involved. I find the procedure distasteful, and wouldn't want to have to make that decision myself. Being a man, and never having been the father in an unwanted pregnancy, I don't have experience with real-life abortion issues.

What simplifies the matter for me, someone who was never going to have to make that decision, is that the moral issue is not about whether to get the abortion, which is a separate moral issue for the pregnant woman, but who gets to make that decision - the church using the force of the state to enforce its religious preferences on a secular society, or the pregnant woman?

Perhaps that's why we disagree. We come from different perspectives and frame the issue differently. Last time, you weren't interested in discussing that point. This argument still stands unrebutted. Unless you can convince me that the choice to have an abortion should be taken from the woman and given to the church and state, I still support access to safe and legal abortion, however evil you think I am.

I do consider it worthy to mention that pointing to an extreme outlier to support your case is very unconvincing.

Extreme outlier? When abortion was illegal, medical complications including death were not uncommon. Now, they shouldn't be occurring at all.

Also, I don't expect to convince you of anything. That's not possible and not my purpose.

The separation of Church and State has been a principle advocated since the birth of our nation.

It's always been under attack by the church, which would penetrate the church-state wall wherever it could.

First off, you cannot label pro-life people “anti-choice” because they are the ones advocating for all choices, not just the one that kills a baby, like pro-choice advocates.

Anti-choice people are trying to eliminate a choice, abortion. All other choices remain in play either way. They are attempting to restrict the mother's options.

I and others who understand the situation at the border were not outraged at all.

If you had understood the situation at the border, you would have been outraged.

I understand that we each consider the other's position immoral because it is not his own. We just don't care about the same things. Our values come from different eras. You see those that have moved on as having lost hold of morals and freely drifting without them. You disapprove of free love and what you call promiscuity. You disapprove of abortion. Hopefully, you've never believed that racially mixed marriages were immoral, but some of your ancestors and mine probably did, and would call the modern acceptance of that immoral and against God's plan.

So, we just look at each other and shake our heads.

Everyone has always known that a pregnant woman carried a human child in her womb. Not a stone. Not a fish. But a human child.

As I explained, that's not a factor for me in the abortion debate. If the pregnant woman were somehow carrying a dog instead, the moral issue would be the same - does the procedure cause a sentient creature to suffer the way you or I would undergoing such a life-ending procedure outside of the womb.

Yes, I understand that Christian theology teaches that man is exceptional in the eyes of a good god, and that he was given dominion over the animals to use as he pleases. That's another ethic I've decided is irrational, representative of a less evolved ethical theory, and have removed from my value set.

As a result, I was recently chided by a Christian for making a remark like the one above, and he said I didn't value human life enough. I said that he didn't value dogs enough.

Incidentally, have you looked at biblical scripture on the matter? You're not going to find a lot of support for your position.

Killing a cow for meat and killing a person for no reason other than you feel like it are the same to you.

See if you can keep a check on the hyperbole. Abortion is not killing a person for no reason other than you feel like it. It is a somber event that is done for a specific clinical reason. And yes, I support what others like to call abortion on demand, as if things would be better if one had to get permission from the government or one's priest to get one. Her reasons are her business.

So if the not-yet-born were legally defined as “persons” or as a “human children” you would not consider abortion to be murder, even if abortion were legally defined as murder.

I'm not interested in the semantics here, just the ethics. For me, right and wrong don't depend on words. Calling something evil doesn't make it immoral. Calling a fetus a person doesn't change the moral calculus. An act is either right or wrong whether you call it murder or not, a baby or not, a person or not, etc.. That will always be my response as it was before. If you ever care to address that position, we can discuss it. Until then, my position remains unchanged.

That is amoral and disgusting.

How do you feel about racially mixed marriages?

Bob the Unbeliever

I am not using my religion at all..

ABSOLUTELY FALSE-- many deeply RELIGIOUS folk do not agree with YOUR characterization that a blob of cells is A FULL PERSON.

You have NO reason other than RELIGION to say different.

Among both the religious and irreligious there are those who consider abortion to be murder..

AND THEY ALL-- WITHOUT EXCEPTION-- USE RELIGIOUS "ARGUMENT".

Fail.

The Federal Government and 38 States already recognize an embryo or fetus as a "legal victim" in certain types of crimes..

RELIGION. Again.

Except? That your brand of "common sense" is neither common nor sensible.

THE MAJORITY OF THE US DOES NOT AGREE WITH YOU AND YOUR RELIGION.

Prestor John

Ah I see, in that case please refer to my points in post #155 in this thread, therein I invoke a scientific argument. But my points to you still stand as a good argument oriented in the religious angle.
I thank you for the opportunity, but I would still disagree with you on this matter.

It is my position that conception is the only logical time where human life begins.

Prestor John

Yes it is-- and "murder" is a legal term. It's clearly defined-- and fetuses, elephant, pig or human? Do not qualify.
Which is why I have called for the change of the legal definition of murder to include abortion.

Do you really not understand how asinine what you just said is?
The FACT IS: you could not even tell the difference between those 3....
A simple DNA test could determine the species of any not-yet-born creature.

Prestor John

How? How would that "fix things"?
It would save babies.
You REALLY think this would prevent ANY abortion, if the woman is desperate enough?
No law completely prevents ANY crime, but they do significantly reduce the crime rate.

Could you imagine if murder wasn't illegal? Wouldn't the murder rate rise?

Excluding abortions cases where the child is the product of rape and where the life of the mother is in danger (because they are statistically insignificant), women should receive counseling and be educated about all their options, so they don't ever come to feel desperate.
Roe V Wade had almost zero effect on the NUMBER of abortions.
Abortions were already legal in many States before then and the number of unwanted pregnancies decreased as education on safe-sex practices increased.

This is why I will always focus on the need for more education.
No-- what it did? WAS SHARPLY REDUCE THE NUMBER OF WOMEN DYING FROM UNSAFE ONES.
If you really wanted to protect women you would encourage them not to have sex until they fall in love and get married.

Then you should teach them safe-sex practices until they are ready and willing to have children.

No irresponsible or selfish choices made. No unwanted pregnancies. No desperation. No abortions of any kind.

A person being inconvenient or unwanted does not make them worthless or strip them of the right to life.
Abortions have always been, and will always be, a part of humanity.
So has murder, but we don't encourage murder. So has rape, but we don't encourage rape.

Just because some ugly thing has been a part of the human experience does not mean we should encourage or streamline the practice.
All you anti-choice types do, is force it underground, which sharply increases the number of dead and maimed women...
"Pro-life" is not "anti-choice" since we push for every option other than killing babies.

If women were to listen and do what the "pro-life" people encourage, there would be no need for abortions of any kind because there would not be any unwanted pregnancies.
... but that IS your goal anyway. Isn't it? Punish women?
No. I love women. I want them to be loved and cherished.

amorphous_constellation

From my point of view, that is completely crazy.

If the unborn child has intrinsic value and adoption is always an option then there is no need for abortions.

Dude, in America we are starting to having a growing problem with homeless children. If you watch interviews of our homeless people on youtube, you will come across homeless youths among them. What we need is more birth control and options to abort.

Yet, it was Judeo-Christian principles that wrote the U.S. Constitution which protects our God-given rights, such as freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech was the atheistic, libertarian, and perhaps even satanically oriented tenet that collided with the stoic Christian path of history.

Bob the Unbeliever

Which is why I have called for the change of the legal definition of murder to include abortion..

Religion is not allowed to be promoted over other Religion.

Yours is 100% a RELIGIOUS view.

Proof? Other RELIGIONS do not agree with your misogyny.. .[/QUOTE]

Do you really not understand how asinine what you just said is?

A simple DNA test could determine the species of any not-yet-born creature.

Do you really not understand how RELIGIOUS BIGOTRY your position is?

A simple DNA test of any random liver would tell you if it's human or squirrel.

Bob the Unbeliever

It would save babies..

That is absolutely false. History says otherwise.

No law completely prevents ANY crime, but they do significantly reduce the crime rate..

Abortion isn't a crime-- UNLESS YOU ARE SPECIFICALLY A RELIGION THAT SAYS IT IS.

You do NOT GET to practice your misogynistic religion on EVERYONE.

Could you imagine if murder wasn't illegal? Wouldn't the murder rate rise?.

Not really, no-- unless? You are saying that RELIGIOUS people would go on RAMPANT MURDER SPREES if they did not worry that a Magic Sky Genie would "punish" them?

That's .... quite frightining.... NEVER-EVER GIVE UP YOUR RELIGION-- you just admitted that you would MURDER AT RANDOM if you were allowed!

Excluding abortions cases where the child is the product of rape and where the life of the mother is in danger (because they are statistically insignificant), women should receive counseling and be educated about all their options, so they don't ever come to feel desperate..

SO YOU ADMIT THAT IT IS NOT MURDER AFTER ALL-- YOU JUST WANT TO PUNISH WOMEN.

Gotcha.

Abortions were already legal in many States before then and the number of unwanted pregnancies decreased as education on safe-sex practices increased..

Nope. RELIGIOUS communities? DO NOT PRACTICE SAFE SEX.

Therefore? THEY ARE THE HIGHEST SEEKING ABORTIONS OF ALL THE OTHERS.

I bet YOUR community is not exempt.

If you really wanted to protect women you would encourage them not to have sex until they fall in love and get married..

PROOF: YOU JUST WANT TO PUNISH WOMEN YOU DO NOT APPROVE OF.

Religious misogyny.

"Pro-life" is not "anti-choice" since we push for every option other than killing babies..

100% FALSE-- YOU ARE ANTI-WOMEN/ANTI-CHOICE-- you ADMIT that when you permit abortions in "special occasions".
If women were to listen and do what the "pro-life" people encourage, there would be no need for abortions of any kind because there would not be any unwanted pregnancies..

LMAO! Here you PROVE you JUST WANT TO PUNISH/CONTROL WOMEN.

Classic misogyny.
No. I love women. I want them to be loved and cherished.

False-- you want to PUNISH THEM FOR DOING THINGS YOU DON'T LIKE.

You want them to be property, as per your RELIGION.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Here you are trying to steal the success of Enlightenment philosophy for Christianity, which offered us the philosophy of the divine right of kings, and the biblical commandment to submit to the king allegedly appointed by God.

The US Constitution rejects all of that. It throws all gods out of government and enumerates specific personal freedoms unknown to Christianity, including freedom from religion. The Christian god offers no freedom of speech. In fact, that will burn you forever for what it deems blasphemy. No church-state separation, no limited, divided, transparent government. No voting. No equality under the law.

Where did you get this idea that the US Constitution owes a debt to Christianity? From David Barton? How could the two be any different?

If you want a model for Christian government, try Middle Ages England. Think of being dragged off in the middle of the night for impiety with no charges filed, no arraignment, nobody knows where you were taken, no trial, no rights - just a despot and his subject, meaning property.

That's what the Bible commands the believer to submit to, even as it instructs one to be meek, turn the other cheek, love enemies, accept one's lot without uprising or even complaining. It's what you tell people that you intend to exploit in the hope that they will accept that treatment. Their reward will come later, they are told. Just be patient and meek, be happy about your mistreatment. This is what made this religion so popular with kings and emperors.
  • "How can you have order in a state without religion? For, when one man is dying of hunger near another who is ill of surfeit, he cannot resign himself to this difference unless there is an authority which declares 'God wills it thus.' Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." - Napoleon Bonaparte
  • "If you want to control a population and keep them passive ... give them a god to worship" ~ Noam Chomsky
  • "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca the Younger
We've left that world behind - or at least we're trying to against resistance from those that would drag us back to the past - and it was no thanks to the Bible or Christianity. Today, our values are much different. They come from a different process than revelation. They come from rational ethics. That's how we know not to persecute homosexuals. The Golden Rule says not to. It's the simple understanding that if you were born attracted to the same sex, you don't want to be called an abomination in the eyes of a perfect god that will destroy you for how you were made.

I've mentioned elsewhere that Christian apologetics like this is for Christians, not unbelievers. Its value is limited to relieving any cognitive dissonance created by evidence presented by the academic community such as that supporting evolutionary theory, and perhaps against the low-hanging fruit not already knowledgeable in the area of discussion, and not able to evaluate arguments

Apologetics has a counteproductive effect on critical thinkers. Apologists who share their apologetics outside of church or Sunday school are apt to find their words used to argue against their beliefs. That's how I use them. I've got a few stock pieces of Christian apologetics that are stunningly dishonest, including one about human evolution, and one about an apocryphal Patrick Henry quote. Of course, the US Constitution spiel you just read is also the product of answering revisionist apologetics. Is that really in your interest?

Well, look at us having a disagreement about a moral issue - Thank you Christianity!

More apologetics. Now you want to give Christianity credit for morality and the discussion of it.

Are you unaware that the topic of right behavior has been of interest to philosophers for centuries before Jesus, and that they had already derived the Golden Rule?

Here's what happens when you inject this type of apologetics into a discussion including skeptics trained in critical thinking. They'll challenge your assumptions publicly, which might not go so well. Let's see :

I've asked the following before and never received a satisfactory answer. What great moral precepts can we thank Christianity for? I can't think of anything else Jesus said worth repeating, and that wasn't original. Loving enemies, for example, is terrible advice. Better advice is to remove them from your life. They're enemies. They mean you harm.

Can you name any moral precept original to Jesus worth keeping today? I can't.

It was Christian teachings that freed the slaves in the U.S.

Again? You're on a roll. Your Bible commands slaves to submit to their masters just as it commands subject to submit to their king and God, and women to their husbands. There's your freedom for you.

Freedom is also an Enlightenment ideal, when people were transformed from subjects without rights to free citizens, and later from slaves to free people.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is great value in actually knowing what you are talking about.

You haven't convinced me that you know what you're talking about. You have offered only revisionist history and your preferred values.

I find it funny that you slam Christian for arguing against “science”, yet you claim the not-yet-born aren’t alive or human and I’m sure that you would also claim that a man can become a woman and vice versa.

Try to get my argument correctly if you want to criticize it.You're now condemning me for a straw man of your own device. I have never said that a fetus wasn't alive or human.

We won't make any progress as long as you continue to ignore the points I actually make and address ones you invented. I gave you my position on the morality of abortion, and which factors entered into it, and which didn't. In fact, since you got my argument so wrong, I must assume that you still don't know what it is. Yet you still call my position immoral.

I'm sure that you have transgender issues as well. And same sex marriage issues. And probably also fetal stem cell issues. It's a package deal generally, and you'll notice that most people not raised in the Christian or Muslim traditions don't have the problems and objections that those raised in those traditions frequently express, which is why I call them manufactured opinions.

Authentic outrage is across multiple demographics, another point I made and you ignored. I referred to the authentic outrage at the American southern border, and you deflected to why taking children, losing many of them, wasn't outrageous, calling that attitude informed.

You missed the point. The outrage expressed is across virtually every demographic except one, making it authentic. Your lack of outrage is limited to a single demographic, meaning that it is manufactured, and we know by whom - the incessant xenophobic commentary from the right, both from the White House and from conservative media. Everybody else is outraged except conservatives taught not to be. That's meaningful.

Incidentally, speaking of science, don't you want to also try to steal the credit for science for Christianity as well? After all, many early scientists were Christian, right?

People love to focus on what they consider to be the “negative” and then don’t give Christianity any credit for the overwhelming amount of good it has done for the world.

Sorry, but you've already given Christianity undue credit for the achievements of applied secular humanist values. Now you're telling us about the unseen good it does. I'm quite familiar with Christianity and what it does. The world would not suffer if Christianity faded away from it. There is nothing that religion does of benefit that can't be done as well or better without it, and there are many ways it degrades life.

What good can you demonstrate coming from Christianity that we wouldn't have without it?

Again, it’s not an “anti-choice” position when you want to educate people and offer every other choice but murdering your baby.

I've already refuted that, which refutation you ignored. Now, you simply repeated yourself. My argument hasn't changed, which is to be expected until you or somebody else gives me a reason to modify my position. The best descriptionn of people trying to recriminalize abortion is anti-choice for the reasons already given.

Also, your claim that the pro-life position is “basically religious” would be offensive to all those irreligious people who also believe that human life has intrinsic value.

Yes, I understand. If you tell me that you find certain ideas offensive, I'm expected to be ashamed and censor them hereon.

I can't imagine how that would be offensive to the lone irreligious Planned Parenthood protestor marching in a sea of Christians, but if he or she wants to take umbrage over that, that just has to be OK. I can't be responsible for the feelings of others offended by being disagreed with.

In America, the anti-choice movement is almost exclusively Christian. If suggesting that offends you or anybody else, I'm sorry, but I have no reason to censor myself because others are offended by what I consider a neutral fact. Why would that be offensive to anybody, right or wrong?

This idea that only Christians have respect for human life is very naive and insulting.

Insulted again? That's on you. I don't need to hear when you're insulted any more. I imagine it's going to be often.

That idea - that only Christians have respect for human life - is not an idea I hold. I don't see Christians respecting life human or otherwise. When they aren't the same as any secular humanist, they're worse. I'm not especially impressed with your views on the proper way to treat desperate, unfortunate people.

These are all former or present Christian politicians in America, with utter contempt for the havoc that global warming will create for life on earth :
  • "We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand" - James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan (note his position and responsibilities - this is who they put in charge of protecting natural resources)
  • "My point is, God's still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous." - Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla
  • "The Earth will end only when God declares it's time to be over. Man will not destroy this Earth. This Earth will not be destroyed by a flood. . . . I do believe God's word is infallible, unchanging, perfect." - Rep John Shimkus, R-Ill.
Is that what you mean by Christian respect for life?

How about George Bush and his respect for Iraqi life? Did you protest that cruel and illegal choice in the name of life? I mostly saw Christians cheering and waving flags and Bless Our Troops signs from Toby Keith concerts, jeering at war protestors, who were the actual pro-life people.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Total disregard for objective biological reality.

My moral values don't come from biology. Neither do yours. Yours come from a book and the pulpit, mine from the application of reason to empathy (the Golden Rule) to create a society that offers the most opportunity to live life as one envisions it. Fetuses aren't a part of that society. Their mothers are. Some are young mothers on life trajectories that would take them to a higher education and a professional career when they become pregnant, and must choose between motherhood now and deferring that phase of life until she is ready to provide a good home to as many children as she wants and can afford.

I want her to have that choice, and to make it safely and legally. That's a natural conclusion given my values. If I held your values, I might conclude otherwise. Yours are more about what people should have done than what they do, and the punishments they deserve for what is considered disobedience. I just don't think that way.

And of course, none of my position is based in science or biology.

Do you even have standards?

Yes, and since you feel so free to judge me, I don't mind telling you that I consider them more developed than yours, which I consider primitive. Yours are from an ancient time, when women were property - chattel, useful only for reproduction. Let's here from these great church fathers on women :
  • "What is the difference whether it is in a wife or a mother? it is still Eve the temptress that we must beware of in any woman... I fail to see what use woman can be to man, if one excludes the function of bearing children." - Saint Augustine
  • Tertullian: "You [woman] are the devil's gateway: you are the unsealer of that (forbidden) tree: you are the first deserter of the divine law: you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image, man. On account of your desert - that is, death - even the Son of God had to die."
  • John Calvin: "Woman is more guilty than man, because she was seduced by Satan, and so diverted her husband from obedience to God that she was an instrument of death leading to all perdition. It is necessary that woman recognize this, and that she learn to what she is subjected; and not only against her husband. This is reason enough why today she is placed below and that she bears within her ignominy and shame."
  • "Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact, be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men." - St. Augustine
Romans 1 says that the natural use of a woman is for sex.

Sorry, but I believe that I can and have done better than that.

This is why I will always focus on the need for more education.

Except that this is the first time to my knowledge after thousands of words that you have mentioned the topic. You've been focusing on abortion, not education.

If you really wanted to protect women you would encourage them not to have sex until they fall in love and get married.

Once again, my values are not yours. That wasn't my plan. Premarital sex is important in learning about life and love before one commits to another.

My daughters were taught safe sex and family planning, and a few things about relationships and proper behavior, before they were sexually active, and have enjoyed active sex lives since their teens. That's how I protected them.

And if they had needed abortions, I would have supported that decision. That's also protecting them.

No irresponsible or selfish choices made. No unwanted pregnancies. No desperation. No abortions of any kind.

This authoritarianism - barking orders emphatically about how others should live - is also a reflection of your religious orientation, and suggests that you are conservative politically. People are going to do as they like whether you approve or not, and conservatives surely disapprove. You're just setting yourself up for frustration to allow it to agitate you.

A person being inconvenient or unwanted does not make them worthless or strip them of the right to life.

Unless it does.

If the fetus is of no value to the pregnant woman, then that's how it is. And rights in the legal sense come from the state through a process of enumerating them, enacting them, amending them, and when needed, defending them with force or threat of force. The mother has the right end her pregnancy because the right is enshrined in law and guaranteed by the full force of the government granting that right.

Calling something a right that others don't agree is a right and that is not a legal right as you have done here is a pretty meaningless claim, and would apply only to you assuming that you could enforce it. Nobody need agree with you, and those that don't are free to ignore what others call rights.

Once again, your values are for you. You proclaim them as they are objective truths applying to others. They're not.

"Pro-life" is not "anti-choice" since we push for every option other than killing babies.

Again? Already refuted. Reducing freedoms is anti-choice - by definition. The claim hasn't changed.

You probably ought to let that one go. It's not serving you to have others point out that the pro-life euphemism is inappropriate, and that what anti-abortion people are is anti-choice, meaning anti-freedom.

If women were to listen and do what the "pro-life" people encourage, there would be no need for abortions

But they're not listening, are they?

This is also a typically religious argument, usually in the form of, "If every would just do as Jesus says, it would be a peaceful world." But that's not the world we live in, nor one we can ever realistically hope to achieve, so thinking about it rather than thinking about how to deal with the reality we actually find is pretty fruitless.

I love women.

Not as I define love.