• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro choice statement from candidates for Chairperson of the DNC

Pah

Uber all member
Complete statements and other past statements

Governor Howard Dean:
Throughout my entire professional career, as a doctor, politician, and former Planned Parenthood of Northern New England board member, I have worked hard with allies in the women’s community. Together, we have achieved results on issues of critical importance to women, including reproductive rights.
We cannot do these things unless women have a strong voice in the future of the Party and a leadership role. If I am elected DNC Chair, women will.
Donnie Fowler:
I am Pro-Choice. As Democrats, we must stand up and fight against any attack by government on a woman’s right to control her own body. While there should not be a litmus test to be a member of the Democratic Party, as Democrats we can not sit by as George Bush seeks to appoint judicial activists who will use government to legislate morality and interfere with private decisions between a woman, her doctor, and even her family. With ever extreme judges holding ever extreme views of privacy and individual rights, what happens at the state level takes on increasing importance. We must commit our Party to regaining a majority in Congress and our legislatures to help ensure the protection of women’s rights. As Chair of the DNC, I will fight the Republicans every step of the way as they attempt to roll back the progress of 20, 30, even 40 years of progressive politics. As Democrats, we have to place the same value on electing local and statewide leaders who support reproductive rights as we do on our presidential campaigns. As DNC Chair, I will cede no ground on this issue and will work tirelessly with each and every one of you to protect this fundamental right.
Simon Rosenberg:
I believe that Democrats have to stand up for what we believe, and that means a woman’s right to choose. I am committed to fighting for that right as DNC chair. I reject the notion that Democrats should change their position on choice in light of the 2004 election results. Being pro-choice is not only a majority position in the party, it’s a majority position in the country. Democrats should fight for a woman’s right to choose and for access to services to reduce unintended pregnancies. As the 2004 Democratic National Platform said, we want abortion to be safe, legal and rare.