• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Private Christian School gone too far?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

He can go to prom. But if he does, he faces consequences that he was informed of and agreed to.

If he doesn't like the rules, he had no business agreeing to them. And I'm sure public school is an option if the private Christian School isn't working out.

The school, in my opinion, isn't out of line. They're being consistent with the rules that they expect their students to follow.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
The school should have no rights over what the pupil does outside school time.

Smoke

Done here.
If you send your kids to that kind of school, what do you expect?

The boy's father is concerned about his being allowed to go to prom with his girlfriend; he should have been concerned about the quality of the boy's education.

IF_u_knew

Curious
"Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said."

He still has the choice.

Makaveli

Homoioi
It's a private school with its own set of rules, which he deigned to break. The school has every right to do what they want to him, seeing he signed a form agreeing to their rules and then decided to break them; he can't claim mistreatment, and I don't see why this is even news.

Draka

Wonder Woman
This is bull. The kids signed an agreement to abide by their rules, yes, but to enforce rules in a school to outside the realm of that school is absurd. AND the boy was required to obtain permission, in the form of a signed written permission slip, from the principal of his current school, before being allowed to attend the prom in the first place. The principal of the Baptist school signed the permission form. Permission was given. I think it pretty freakin lame to say "Yes, I give my permission to go to the prom, but if you go I'll suspend you and give you incompletes and deny you attending your own graduation...but you can go to the prom." That's cruelty and bs through and through. but then, I guess what else can be expected from such a school huh?

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

Is it legal for a school to create rules governing your life outside of school? I'm surprised they didn't expell him for having a girlfriend outside of the school. She is obviously the bad influence that is leading him astray. :rolleyes:

Nothing the Baptists do or attempt to do surprises me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said."

He still has the choice.
Depending on how the timing worked out with all this, the "statement of co-operation" may very well be a gratuitous promise and therefore unenforceable. However, I'm no lawyer, and I don't know exactly what was in the original agreement between the school and the parents in which tuition changed hands.

This is bull. The kids signed an agreement to abide by their rules, yes, but to enforce rules in a school to outside the realm of that school is absurd. AND the boy was required to obtain permission, in the form of a signed written permission slip, from the principal of his current school, before being allowed to attend the prom in the first place. The principal of the Baptist school signed the permission form. Permission was given. I think it pretty freakin lame to say "Yes, I give my permission to go to the prom, but if you go I'll suspend you and give you incompletes and deny you attending your own graduation...but you can go to the prom." That's cruelty and bs through and through. but then, I guess what else can be expected from such a school huh?
Yeah... I think that's odd: they approve of the prom enough to give permission, but disapprove of it enough to suspend him if he goes. That doesn't seem consistent.

Smoke

Done here.
Yeah... I think that's odd: they approve of the prom enough to give permission, but disapprove of it enough to suspend him if he goes. That doesn't seem consistent.
Makes sense to me. The principal allows the student a choice, but not without consequences. Without the principal's permission, the kid can't go at all. The principal grants that permission, to satisfy the requirements of the girlfriend's high school. Now the boy has a choice. However, if he chooses to go to prom, he faces consequences back at his own school.

In my hometown, Pensacola Christian Schools used to expel students who broke rules off campus and even during the summer recess. For instance, girls caught wearing pants anywhere, anytime, were in trouble at school. There were a lot of indignant parents, because -- after all -- they didn't send their kids to the Christian schools to subject them to a lot of Baptist nonsense; they sent them to the Christian schools so they wouldn't have to go to school with black kids. (In those days, only invalids were home schooled.)

Yeah, these are stupid rules. So what? That's why they started a private school, so they could enforce their stupid rules in peace. For people who don't like them, there's an easy solution: don't send your kids to Christian schools.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Religious zealots using threats and coercion to force "morality" on people. What else is new? That being said, maybe the kid should be attending a different school if mindless religious extremism doesn't mesh with his values and those of his family.

gnomon

I don't usually say things like this, or maybe I do, but that just makes the principal a total rectal suppository.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I found this particular quote interesting:
"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

Besides the fact that the school committee can't be positive that they chose God's path or not, the school's position doesn't really allow the kid to choose between self and God. It's more of a choice between self and self: Either I can go to the prom and gratify this part of myself, or I can graduate from highschool. I don't really see where God is placed in the school's ultimatum.

IF_u_knew

Curious
I am trying to understand why so many would even have a problem with this. The real world works this way quite often. When people choose to represent something, they often have to sign agreements to represent it both inside the organization and outside of as well. If they break that agreement, they are suspended from being a representative.

A Christian school is no less than an organization. A student becomes not only a student, but a representative of that school (the school I attended worked this way as well). The boy has the choice to go to the prom, but it is not an uninformed choice and he had already signed the agreement upon admission to the school not to misrepresent their "values" and their beliefs.

Though I agree that going to the prom is not such a big deal, what *would* be a big deal is to break the agreement for him... the staff would lose their credibility with the other students (after all, if one student can twist the arm of authority to get their way, to be consistent, the other students should be allowed the same priveledge) and the student will have not learned responsibility. He is old enough to understand that we sometimes have to choose to put aside what we really *want* to do in order to fulfill our responsibilities. Parents make these type of choices all the time..

Perhaps he will at least learn that from now on he should never sign an agreement to represent something that will hinder his play time if his play time is that valuable to him that he would risk losing all that he has worked for just to pursue one night of dancing at someone else's prom. I am not a fan of Christian schools (neither am I of public schools).. but the fact remains that he signed an agreement to represent them both inside and outside of the school.. therefore any consequences that incur from breaking that agreement fall only on his shoulders and not that of the schools. I do not understand what is so hard to grasp here...

Smoke

Done here.
I am trying to understand why so many would even have a problem with this.
I don't understand it, either. I agree that the school's position is idiotic, but they certainly have the right to take that position. In fact, it's the position I would expect them to take.