• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prisoner swap deal to free Shalit

kai

ragamuffin
Israel and Hamas agree a deal to free hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in return for the release of captive Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, snatched by militants five years ago.

BBC News - Middle East

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
:eek:

That is good.

Gilad has been captured for so long.

Though to be truthful, when I learned about Gilad a while ago from a person I talked to from Israel, I figured he was/ would die in hands of Hamas.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Thank God they are releasing him. It is a wonderful blessing to begin 5772.

That said, I am stunned that think that the cost of this poor boy's freedom is the release of a thousand supporters of terrorism. What a world we live in....

Flankerl

The only good thing about this is that Shalit is going home.

"Shalit Deal Proves Kidnapping Works "
Yeah i wonder what will happen in the future.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It seems every time there is a release, the cost of the exchange becomes higher.
hamas seem to know Israel has an open book in these situations.
Many other countries simply won't deal... or they now "arrange" one to one swaps for recently captured senior personnel.

Last edited:

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
An over emotional country, The price is way too steep. Whenever i voice this opinion everyone bashes me "Don't you want to see him home?"

We'll see how releasing 1,000 murderers for one irresponsible Soldier turns out.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
An over emotional country, The price is way too steep. Whenever i voice this opinion everyone bashes me "Don't you want to see him home?"

We'll see how releasing 1,000 murderers for one irresponsible Soldier turns out.

Why would you say being kidnapped was his fault or that he was irresponsible?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Thank God they are releasing him. It is a wonderful blessing to begin 5772.

That said, I am stunned that think that the cost of this poor boy's freedom is the release of a thousand supporters of terrorism. What a world we live in....

I agree.

I'm glad to see him freed and reunited with is family. But at such a cost.....

Not only is there the issue of the 1000+ prisoners who are to be released, but there is also the precedent set in making such a deal. I wish this could have been accomplished in some other way.

Rakhel

It's my understanding that he was asleep on the job, and in that sense I agree with you. But my question is, since it is mentioned on American media, are they going to release him before or after Israel releases theirs? Because I think this arrangement was made before, 1000 Palestinians for 1 Israeli, only to have Hamas renege after the Palestinian release. Bargatti(sp) was part of the first exchange wasn't he?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
If Hamas releases Shalit, which I doubt, considering their history with Shalit(They've made this deal before, then refused to release him after Israel had kept up their end of bargain), it'll be in a coffin. Who actually believes that he's still alive? Hamas has repeatedly refused to allow any international organization to see or speak with him. If Shalit comes home alive, he should be facing a court martial for dereliction of duty.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If Hamas releases Shalit, which I doubt, considering their history with Shalit(They've made this deal before, then refused to release him after Israel had kept up their end of bargain), it'll be in a coffin. Who actually believes that he's still alive?

You create history and scenarios out of your own vitriol. It's rather pitiful.

Tellurian

I wonder if the Israeli "enemy combatant" was tortured with water boarding by Hamas the way the USA treats its interned "enemy combatants"? Is Hamas being more humanitarian than the USA, which has no plans to release the enemy combatants in Gitmo, or give them any kind of trial before they die in captivity?

Poisonshady313

Bargatti(sp) was part of the first exchange wasn't he?

No. The following are NOT going to be released:

* Marwan Barghouti who was sentenced to five life sentences for his role in the murders of Israelis during the al-Aksa intifada

* Abdullah Barghouti who is serving out 67 consecutive life terms for building the bombs that murdered 66 people

* Ahmed Saadat who headed the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and was responsible for the assassination of Israeli minister Rehavam Ze'evi

* Hassan Salama, a Hamas leader who was convicted of murdering 67 Israeli citizens

* Abbas a-Sayed, mastermind of the Park Hotel suicide bombing in which 30 Israelis were killed on the eve of Passover 2002

* Ibrahim Hamed, who was found guilty of involvement in terrorist attacks that led to the death of 82 Israelis

Poisonshady313

I wonder if the Israeli "enemy combatant" was tortured with water boarding by Hamas the way the USA treats its interned "enemy combatants"?

I love how you say "treats"as if it's systematic. If I'm not mistaken, the USA has water boarded three prisoners.

The way Hamas tortures its prisoners makes water boarding delightful by comparison.

Is Hamas being more humanitarian than the USA, which has no plans to release the enemy combatants in Gitmo, or give them any kind of trial before they die in captivity?

No.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I wonder if the Israeli "enemy combatant" was tortured with water boarding by Hamas the way the USA treats its interned "enemy combatants"? Is Hamas being more humanitarian than the USA, which has no plans to release the enemy combatants in Gitmo, or give them any kind of trial before they die in captivity?
Relevance? :rolleyes:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Is there any potential for reconciliation in this?
I do not believe so. Terrorists are freed, Hamas is strengthened, Abbas is overshadowed, and Netanyahu can claim a victory. The sole silver lining, other than the release of Shalit (and, possibly, some unjustly incarcerated Palestinians), appears to be Turkey's mediation efforts which were lauded by Peres.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I do not believe so. Terrorists are freed, Hamas is strengthened, Abbas is overshadowed, and Netanyahu can claim a victory. The sole silver lining, other than the release of Shalit (and, possibly, some unjustly incarcerated Palestinians), appears to be Turkey's mediation efforts which were lauded by Peres.

At least there is some silver lining. I am very happy that young man will be returning to his family.