• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Principles and Practices

Straw Dog

So I would like to share the form my spiritual philosophy has taken recently. It's nothing new, really. I just thought I would share my personal interpretation of Zen and Taoist philosophies and the principles and practices that have arose around it. Let me begin with an outline before expanding.

Principles

1) Change is constant
2) Perception is relative
3) Time is eternal
4) Presence is flowing

Practices

1) Meditation
2) Mindfulness
3) Moderation
4) Compassion
5) Gratitude

Principles

1) Change is constant

Everything evolves endlessly. You never step into the same river twice and it's never the same "you" stepping into the river. It seems like the only thing that can be said to be constant is the act of change itself moment by moment. Things are arising, falling apart, shifting, shaping, re-arranging, and evolving on and on. It's an endlessly creative process where new things are made and old things are destroyed. It enables the potential for things to arise into being that our imaginations cannot even conceive of due to the infinite possibilities present within constant change.

2) Perception is relative

It is also constant. When consciousness arises, it begins to sense and perceive the changing state of things. Reality is multifaceted, complex, and dynamic so our perceptions tend to always be relative and dependent upon our human conditioning. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it should be acknowledged and apprehended. We're all experiencing the changing state of things on a relative basis and, as social animals, our views are codependent upon the views and perceptions of others. In this manner, we create useful maps of reality.

Some might say that when one becomes Enlightened, then their perception is no longer relative. I don't find this to be the case as they are still dependent upon their human conditioning and the perceptions of others. So even an enlightened perception is relative to the changing nature of things. They just may be able to offer better modifications to the mind maps we use as well as instruction, of course, on how to approach the nature of reality through experience.

3) Time is eternal

It is also relative and constant, but why bring 'time' into this? It is illusory in a certain sense because it is relative, but I wouldn't say it is delusional thinking or that it isn't useful. The best I can figure is that time is our attempt to measure the associations and differences between changing states. It is flawed and could probably be improved upon greatly but, like perception, I don't feel it should be abandoned. The notion of time is useful because it enables us to make sense of changing things. The principle illusion it seems to create is that of definite beginnings and endings to existence. Let me explain...

It used to be that the beginning of the world was synonymous with the creation of the universe and everything. It was the beginning and the end to all things. Then it became that the solar system was the center of the universe and the focal point of definitive beginnings and endings. Then it expanded to the scale of the galaxy and then to the observable universe. Then it was said that the Big Bang was the beginning of everything, but wait... now physicists are talking about what happened "before" the Big Bang. Before the Big Bang? But I thought that was the beginning of time. How could anything have happened before it? The definite beginning of things, along with their subsequent endings, keeps getting pushed back further and further into infinity.

This seems to be a persistent illusion that we experience ever since our ancient ancestors thought that the world ended on the other side of the mountain or at the end of the ocean. I can't say that I know for sure that there are no definite beginnings and endings to existence. All I'm saying is that there isn't sufficient reason to believe that there was a single beginning and ending to begin with, if that makes sense. Why should I accept the premise of a first cause? Existence seems to go back into infinity and flow forth into eternity. I don't know where it came from or where it is going. For all intents and purposes, time is eternal until proven otherwise.

4) Presence is flowing

It is also eternal, relative, and constant. Presence refers to the occurrence of things around us or to existence itself. In the context of consciousness it means "being there". When one meditates or practices mindfulness, they become intimately familiar with the changing nature of things. With persistence, one may begin to flow with one's surroundings. The sense of self dissolves into the thoughts, words, and actions that one is performing.

I know some folks believe that thoughts are wrong or should always be completely silenced, but I don't find this to be the case. I don't really believe in ego-death or that we should completely eliminate desire. The ego does need to be transcended, but with transcendence comes transformation. The ego changes. Desire simplifies and eventually finds its proper place in the eternally changing flow of things as they are. There is no definitive end state. There is only the continuous process of waking fully to each changing moment of being. Everything becomes an end in-and-of itself as it rises and falls, ebbs and flows, wakes and sleeps, lives and dies, etc, etc, into eternity.

Practices

I won't expand much on my practices yet, but I will say that they arise from the principles and that they are all interconnected with one another. Meditation, mindfulness, moderation, compassion, and gratitude express everything necessary to cultivate both an ethical understanding as well as the foundation for lasting happiness and contentment.

Thanks for taking time to read this. I would appreciate any feedback and reflections on my spiritual philosophy. Take it easy!

Last edited:

Straw Dog

One good thing about these principles is that they can be amended because Change is Constant. I was contemplating them further and decided to alter number 4. Flowing works well in the context of consciousness in referring to the psychological state of flow, but it becomes increasingly abstract and metaphorical on the macro levels of the occurrence of things and existence itself. It is a fine metaphor, but it seems to be more useful to apply a more technical term such as "dynamic" so Presence is Dynamic.

Presence still refers to existence itself, the occurrence of things, and "being-there". Dynamic is characterized by constant change, hence bringing the principles full circle. It means energetic, vital, spirited, vigorous, animated, and going-ahead. It seems more appropriate in describing the macro levels of being and the latter meaning applies in the context of consciousness.

"Being-there" is "going-forth". This means that things simply as they are by virtue of being are doing something. We are always doing something even when we falsely believe that we are doing nothing. Nothing is something and something is everything. By simply being aware, one is progressing forth within the eternally evolving state of things. The principle is attempting to account for the concept of "wu-wei" as well as "flow" at the same time. Whether we act or not, things are being done. We are doing things simply by virtue of existence.

I find these principles useful for contemplating. As I continue cultivating the practices though, they will probably become less useful as I attain the underlying meanings that they are attempting to convey. Concepts are like tools. Once they become blunt or broken, they can be replaced or sharpened for new effect. Once the construction process itself is complete then the tools can be discarded completely, or perhaps just put away for occasional maintenance here and there.

Justme2

New and Improved Me
I believe that having an attitude of gratitude is very important.
I have been writing in a gratitude journal lately and as I review previous entries I am reminded of how much I have. I highly recommend it!

-----------------------------------------------------
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
~ Socrates

Adrift

This is all very moving. Eastern philosophies have always been the most influential to me.

"Being-there is going-forth"... That piece really spoke to me. Made me look around, and see everything moving at the rate of time. Thank you for the good read.

Straw Dog

I believe that having an attitude of gratitude is very important.
I have been writing in a gratitude journal lately and as I review previous entries I am reminded of how much I have. I highly recommend it!

-----------------------------------------------------
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
~ Socrates

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll start a journal like that of my own.

Straw Dog

The fine-tuning continues...

On some level, I am aware how absurd it is to make very much fuss over these principles since I'm essentially learning them now so that I can unlearn them in a different now. Nonetheless, it still seems like a good way of keeping my conceptual apparatus in control by creating limitations and directions in the way to be.

Principle three started by talking about time, but I went on to incorporate space and all of existence really. So that simply needs to be changed to...

3) Existence is eternal

This way seems to correlate with the rest of the principles better. Time itself is a slippery notion and for the life of me, I don't really know what it is. I don't know what all existence entails either, but it works well in pointing in the right direction. By existence I mean everything that we know, or think that we know, as well as the greater amount of Reality that we do not know and in which our being is dependent upon. The rest of the explanation above still applies in terms of my reasoning why I deny the notion of definitive beginnings and endings.

'Existence' and 'presence' are essentially the same thing. The former just better conveys the macrocosm while the latter focuses on the microcosm of consciousness. We are all unique manifestations of the endlessly flowing river of being. By becoming present within the dynamic nature of things as they are, we can become at one with eternity in the moment.

I would greatly appreciate any input or insight from the more experienced meditation practitioners and followers of tao on here. Thanks in advance.

So it goes. :yinyang: