• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prince Phillip dies age 99

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I guess I was just raised with more of an anti-monarchist sentiment of the kind expressed by America's Founders. Although in more recent times, some Americans have grown to idolize the royal family - and it even seems to captivate the attention of the media. To me, it's just like people who gush over the Kardashians. I guess that's America's equivalent of a "royal family."
No, we're worse than the British. At least they have a legit royal family for their tabloids to obsess over. We only have trashy Z-list celebs who aren't known for anything. Kim only became famous (on her own) because of a sex tape. America is disgusting. We have no real mortality and no role models.

you don't seem to know the situation, the transcripts of the Queens orders to the governor general recently came out, she ordered the removal of the Prime minister and the dissolution of Parliament, a little research would show how wrong your position on this is.

Better luck next time...

The Queen was not informed in advance about the 1975 dismissal of Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam, newly released letters show.

Whitlam's government was removed by the Queen's representative at the time, Governor-General Sir John Kerr, and replaced with an opposition party.

It is considered the most controversial event in Australian political history.

The letters, released after a court battle, show Sir John wrote it was "better for Her Majesty not to know".

Gough Whitlam: Letters show Queen not told in advance of Australia PM's sacking

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No she wasn't.

That's a bit like saying the Queen overthrows the democratically elected government of Britain every time she is asked to dissolve parliament prior to an election.
Most of the time, dissolving Parliament is just the quaint, arcane way to bring about a new, routine election.

If she's dissolving Parliament against the will of the people, then she is usurping democracy.

Just because the Governor-General in question technically served in her name doesn't mean she was the one actually calling the shots.
Governors General exercise the powers of the monarch and serve at the pleasure of the monarch. Problems with Governors General are problems with the monarchy.

And for that matter, the fact that Governors General are needed at all - i.e. that the nominal head of state won't deign to live in the country she supposedly leads - points to another serious problem with the monarchy as it exists today.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I'd heard about inbreeding in the Royal Family, but Phillip and Elizabeth both have Queen Victoria as great grandmother or something, they're cousins!!

171642597_10218893004091405_6512466055500994508_n.jpg

Sorry but its not as clear as that, The queen and the Governor General had been consulting for months on the issue

Shock! The Queen was informed about events in a country she is head of state of.

The released letters reveal, on the day of the dismissal — November 11, 1975 — Sir John alerted Buckingham Palace to his decision to sack then prime minister Gough Whitlam.

"I should say that I decided to take the step I took without informing the Palace in advance because, under the Constitution, the responsibility is mine and I was of the opinion that it was better for Her Majesty not to know in advance," Sir John wrote.

Then, more than a week after the dismissal, on November 20, Sir John clarified further, writing that he had to act without giving Mr Whitlam a chance to call an election, because he feared he would be sacked himself, which would have put the Queen in a difficult position.

'Palace letters' between Sir John Kerr, Queen released, revealing information about Gough Whitlam and 1975 constitutional crisis - ABC News

She didn't order the usurpation of democracy.

You were wrong, just accept it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Good grief, I didn't know of those. Still, he wasn't a racist, the BBC has helpfully explained away his racist, sorry, non-racist comments.
I didn't know about many of them either. I'm ready to forgive for all sorts of things but he either made a habit of such or was just bad at humour. :oops: