• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prince Phillip dies age 99

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
YES. At one point there were three BBC TV stations all broadcasting exactly the same thing, five BBC radio stations also all broadcasting the same thing, and a sixth radio station broadcasting a different program about the same subject.

Of course the death is sad for those who were close to him, and of course many people in the country will also feel it deeply but not all of us support the monarchy or think the death of a privileged bloke who lived to a good age is worth that much attention. In fact, I can't think of anything that's worth that much attention except perhaps a national threat that requires urgent action by the public or the immanent end of the world.

Seems I'm not alone: BBC and ITV viewing figures plummet amid wall-to-wall Prince Philip coverage
60% drop. Sheesh. The country must be over-run with republicans, atheists, anarchists, foreigners, vegetarians and anyone else that doesn't know their place.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Didn't feel a thing when it was announced - really worrying. :oops: Perhaps for things like this:

The best (and worst) of Prince Philip's gaffes, quotes and quips

"If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” (in 1996, amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting).

Or this one:

‘It’s a pleasant change to be in a country that isn’t ruled by its people.’ (to Alfredo Stroessner, the Paraguayan dictator).
Good grief, I didn't know of those. Still, he wasn't a racist, the BBC has helpfully explained away his racist, sorry, non-racist comments.

Where are all these claims of "racism" coming from?

People getting excessively precious over a nearly 100 year old man making jokes that don't meet modern progressive standards for political correctness.

Hopefully people will be more forgiving to them for any slightly outdated attitudes they hold in their old-age.

Anyway, I think gloating over the death of the man is unbecoming,

Such petty vindictiveness seems to be common among many centre-left and progressives.

99 year old man, fought the Nazis, did a lot for charity and other people, leaves a widow after a 73 year marriage in which he gave up his career to support her. Caring liberal humanists - "**** him. Hahaha he's dead. The stupid old man used some slightly outdated language a few times so it's great he's dead! Hope his wife dies soon too!"

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's coming from a lifetime of being bigoted in public.

A small sample:

Prince Philip's gaffes from decades on royal duty

While I pay little attention to the antics of the royal family, I would have thought these kinds of comments would have warranted more attention from the press. Especially since they gush about everything else regarding royal marriages and gossip, but this sort of thing seems to slip low on their radar.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
While I pay little attention to the antics of the royal family, I would have thought these kinds of comments would have warranted more attention from the press. Especially since they gush about everything else regarding royal marriages and gossip, but this sort of thing seems to slip low on their radar.
The royals are treated like... er... royalty* by much of the British (rightwing) MSM. It's diversionary and reinforces the preferred fixed hierarchical societal structure.

*Apart from the wrong-coloured ones of course.

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
If nothing else, he spoke out on important environmental and conservation issues. That is a lot more than most 'royalty' ever do. God bless him.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
People getting excessively precious over a nearly 100 year old man making jokes that don't meet modern progressive standards for political correctness.

Hopefully people will be more forgiving to them for any slightly outdated attitudes they hold in their old-age.

Such petty vindictiveness seems to be common among many centre-left and progressives.

99 year old man, fought the Nazis, did a lot for charity and other people, leaves a widow after a 73 year marriage in which he gave up his career to support her. Caring liberal humanists - "**** him. Hahaha he's dead. The stupid old man used some slightly outdated language a few times so it's great he's dead! Hope his wife dies soon too!"
Well said. That seems to be the best summation of it. I read those old quotes and they do seem to be attempts at joking. Inappropriate and off-color? Maybe so, but not that big of a deal (actually, most of them made me crack up). People are acting like the Grand Dragon of the KKK died. I actually like him more now as I didn't know he had such a sense of humor. Lol.

Most of them got front-page coverage by the press at the time and were repeated in the news coverage of his death regarding his propensity for making ill-judged comments.

They certainly weren't underplayed...

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
His wife was responsible for overthrowing the democratically elected government of Australia which had just instituted National Health Care, which was abolished by the government they put in charge, was several more years before Australia permanently got its National Health Care back, so the Royal family is hardly a positive force on my country!! Most Australians want to declare independence and leave the commonwealth, the Royal family is corrupted, and tabloid fodder.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They got plenty of attention at the time. I certainly recall seeing several of them get major coverage when they happened.

Lyndon

Premium Member
BBC just announced Prince Harry will be attending the funeral on the 17th, which is I guess good news.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
His wife was responsible for overthrowing the democratically elected government of Australia which had just instituted National Health Care, which was abolished by the government they put in charge, was several more years before Australia permanently got its National Health Care back, so the Royal family is hardly a positive force on my country!! Most Australians want to declare independence and leave the commonwealth, the Royal family is corrupted, and tabloid fodder.
Does the Royal Family have any official status in Australia? In Canada, only the monarch does.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The royals are treated like... er... royalty* by much of the British (rightwing) MSM. It's diversionary and reinforces the preferred fixed hierarchical societal structure.

*Apart from the wrong-coloured ones of course.

I guess I was just raised with more of an anti-monarchist sentiment of the kind expressed by America's Founders. Although in more recent times, some Americans have grown to idolize the royal family - and it even seems to captivate the attention of the media. To me, it's just like people who gush over the Kardashians. I guess that's America's equivalent of a "royal family."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They got plenty of attention at the time. I certainly recall seeing several of them get major coverage when they happened.

Well, I guess I must have missed it. I remember when Prince Harry was pictured in a Nazi uniform, that got pretty extensive coverage.

His wife was responsible for overthrowing the democratically elected government of Australia

No she wasn't.

That's a bit like saying the Queen overthrows the democratically elected government of Britain every time she is asked to dissolve parliament prior to an election.

Just because the Governor-General in question technically served in her name doesn't mean she was the one actually calling the shots.

I have no idea what this is!

The World Wrestling Federation (WWF) used to share the same abbreviation as the World Wildlife Fund cue much hilarity (till they got sued and became World Wrestling Entertainment)

McMahon gained significant traction when he hired American Wrestling Association (AWA) talent Hulk Hogan, who had achieved popularity outside of wrestling, notably for his appearance in the film Rocky III.[28] McMahon signed Roddy Piper as Hogan's rival, and then shortly afterward Jesse Ventura as an announcer. Other wrestlers joined the roster, such as Jimmy Snuka, Don Muraco, The Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Junkyard Dog, Paul Orndorff, Greg Valentine, and Ricky Steamboat. Many of the wrestlers who would later join the WWF were former AWA or NWA talent.

The WWF would tour nationally in a venture that would require a huge capital investment, one that placed the WWF on the verge of financial collapse. The future of McMahon's experiment came down to the success or failure of McMahon's groundbreaking concept, WrestleMania. WrestleMania was a major success and was (and still is) marketed as the Super Bowl of professional wrestling. The concept of a wrestling supercard was nothing new in North America; the NWA had begun running Starrcade a few years prior. In McMahon's eyes, however, what separated WrestleMania from other supercards was that it was intended to be accessible to those who did not watch wrestling. He invited celebrities such as Mr. T, Muhammad Ali, and Cyndi Lauper to participate in the event, as well as securing a deal with MTV to provide coverage. The event and hype surrounding it led to the term Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection, due to the cross-promotion of popular culture and professional wrestling.

WWE - Wikipedia

Lyndon

Premium Member
No she wasn't.

That's a bit like saying the Queen overthrows the democratically elected government of Britain every time she is asked to dissolve parliament prior to an election.

Just because the Governor-General in question technically served in her name doesn't mean she was the one actually calling the shots.
you don't seem to know the situation, the transcripts of the Queens orders to the governor general recently came out, she ordered the removal of the Prime minister and the dissolution of Parliament, a little research would show how wrong your position on this is.