• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prince Phillip dies age 99

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Well it puts us one step closer to a King Charles, so in that case its very bad news indeed.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Where are all these claims of "racism" coming from? Meghan Markle? Why believe her? Anyway, I think gloating over the death of the man is unbecoming, and I don't care for him, myself.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Where are all these claims of "racism" coming from? Meghan Markle? Why believe her? Anyway, I think gloating over the death of the man is unbecoming, and I don't care for him, myself.
He had form for gaffes of various kinds over the years, well pre-Markle.

A sample or two:

“Do you still throw spears at each other?”
A question to an Indigenous elder during a Royal visit to Australia in 2002.

“If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.”
To a British exchange student studying in China.

“It looks as if it was put in by an Indian.”
Commenting on a dodgy fuse box at a factory in Scotland.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
As a commonwealth citizen I was surprised to feel sad at his passing even though I knew nothing about him, other than the monarchy had been a force for conservatism for years, this article is very informative, although coming from the BBC its bound to be biased in his favour, but its a good read, quite a troubled childhood, rose up from disaster.

Prince Philip: 99 years, 143 countries and one very famous wife

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
As a mark of respect the BBC have just announced that for the next two weeks no other news will happen. Who cares about Northern Ireland anyway, it's not like it's part of England.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's coming from a lifetime of being bigoted in public.

A small sample:

1984: "You are a woman, aren't you?" In Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman.

1986: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed." To a group of British students during a royal visit to China.

[...]

1993: "You can't have been here that long, you haven't got a pot belly". To a Briton he met in Hungary.

1994: "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" To a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands.

1995: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test." To a Scottish driving instructor.

[...]

1999: "It looks as if it was put in by an Indian." Referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh.

[...]

2002: "Still throwing spears?" Question put to an Australian Aborigine during a visit.

[...]

2009: "There's a lot of your family in tonight." After looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians.

[...]

2013: "The Philippines must be half empty as you're all here running the NHS." On meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital.

Prince Philip's gaffes from decades on royal duty

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Didn't feel a thing when it was announced - really worrying. :oops: Perhaps for things like this:

The best (and worst) of Prince Philip's gaffes, quotes and quips

"If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” (in 1996, amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting).

Or this one:

‘It’s a pleasant change to be in a country that isn’t ruled by its people.’ (to Alfredo Stroessner, the Paraguayan dictator).

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Wall to wall too much coverage?

YES. At one point there were three BBC TV stations all broadcasting exactly the same thing, five BBC radio stations also all broadcasting the same thing, and a sixth radio station broadcasting a different program about the same subject.

Of course the death is sad for those who were close to him, and of course many people in the country will also feel it deeply but not all of us support the monarchy or think the death of a privileged bloke who lived to a good age is worth that much attention. In fact, I can't think of anything that's worth that much attention except perhaps a national threat that requires urgent action by the public or the immanent end of the world.

Seems I'm not alone: BBC and ITV viewing figures plummet amid wall-to-wall Prince Philip coverage