• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Primary and secondary education

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does primary and secondary education suck these days? If so, why? If not, why not? What should be the purpose of education? Does the current system achieve that purpose?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Sunstone said:
Does primary and secondary education suck these days? If so, why? If not, why not? What should be the purpose of education? Does the current system achieve that purpose?

I had a friend who subbed in high schools, and he did so in multiple classes where Juniors would have trouble with basic multiplication and division. If that doesn't spell trouble, I don't know what does...

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hey, as a product of those schools, I know what spells trouble! "T-r-u-b-b-l-e". (Just kidding!)

I was lucky enough to be able to be home-schooled for a few years of my life. My education in the literary arts and related areas was nothing less than I could hope for. (An in-depth study of "Beowulf" and "Hamlet" in seventh grade, one-on-one with someone who got their Masters in French literature. Gotta love it!) The only difficulty came when I went back to the 'normal' schooling. I felt that I was over-educated in some areas (to the point where I felt out of place), but severely lacking in the maths and sciences. (Of course, it doesn't help that that's what my learning disability chooses to affect.)

I really don't remember learning anything in public school except how cruel other people could be, and that some teachers tend to get angry when you'd rather learn than be taught.